• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT's and Taste in Comedy

rav3n

I have no idea what Gaffigan is but as a guess, some kind of NT. His off-the-cuff remarks are even more funny than his stand-up routines! :laugh:

Lucas

MBTI Type
INTP
Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie together are brilliant. I don't know if they are NT, but in the early 1990s they did an adaptation of some of P.G Wodehouse's stories that is amazing.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gabriel Iglesias is the funniest man I have ever seen or. Any anecdote or joke of his always has me rolling on the floor laughing. Brian Regan comes in as a close second.

Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie together are brilliant. I don't know if they are NT, but in the early 1990s they did an adaptation of some of P.G Wodehouse's stories that is amazing.

These guys are phenomenal too. "Jeeves & Wooster" ranks among the best British series I've ever seen, and "A Bit of Frye and Laurie," while not always immediately hilarious, still has great moments as well, like this one:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Fry and Laurie have always struck me as NTs, but I've also heard Fry typed as ENFP. I always thought he was ENTP.

David Mitchell seems a bit INTP to me, too. (That Mitchell and Webb Look)

Any ideas for French & Saunders' types? I'd be curious. Love those two.

rav3n

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k_9mXpNdgU"]:devil:[/YOUTUBE]

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not really as knowledgeable on various comics as I'd like to be, but overall I find more humor in that sort of dry delivery, sarcastic, analytical brand of humor typically common amongst NTs.

That being said, with the mention of Carlin, I always thought of him as an ENTP.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
Louis CK
George Carlin
Mitch Hedberg
Bill Hicks
Doug Stanhope
Joe Rogan
Jim Norton
Ricky Gervais

Louis CK is probably the funniest comedian working right now. Anyone want to guess his type? I'd say INxP, maybe J.

Perch420

MBTI Type
NiTi
Enneagram
5w1
I like all the comics you mentioned with the exception of George Carlin, especially Mitch Hedberg and Lewis Black. I also like Chris Rock, but not Dane Cook. I think Chris Rock is going to come after you for lumping him in with Cook :)

If these are NT comedians, I'm on board. I also like Robert Schimmel and Dennis Miller (really) and they're probably both NTs.

How does someone not like George Carlin? He's the closest thing to being objectively funny, unless you're religious or something.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
How does someone not like George Carlin? He's the closest thing to being objectively funny, unless you're religious or something.

Early Carlin was okay, but I mostly find his style kind of exhausting and not as funny as I expect him to be.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a huge standup fan.

He's totally an ENFP (Richard Jeni).

And David Cross, you guys fans?

He's an NT, I think.

There is NO WAY that guy is not an NT.

Tallulah said:
Is Patton Oswalt NT or NF? I think I could buy either, but I lean toward NT for him.

I love me some Paul F Tompkins. Ideas on type for him? He's definitely F, and I think he's an introvert, because he'll chat with you after shows, but he seems a bit shy, like he's having to make himself interact with people. :)

What makes you say F? I guess I'm not really arguing he's definitely a T, but based on the Pod F Tompkast (it's free on iTunes and hilarious), the Comedy Death Ray podcasts (free and hilarious), Doug Loves Movies (f & h) and various others he's been on (he's ALL OVER Podcasts) Tompkins seems ENTP to me. One of my very favorite comedians. He's spectacular.

Both Cross and Tompkins worked on Mr. Show With Bob and David, if you guys ever saw that. One of the funniest shows ever.

Other amazing comedians who haven't been mentioned (of course, I love Chappelle and Louis C.K. and Carlin and Hedberg, among others):

Kyle Kinane. Probably most of you don't know this guy, but he is a SPECTACULAR newcomer in the comedy circuit.

This thread wants for a Bill Hicks reference (or not, I may have missed it)

Zach Galifianakis, though he tragically has drifted from his stand-up roots.

Nick Kroll is really great (though his recent special is only good not great, he's pretty amazing on those Podcasts)

Bret Gelman is funny, but I haven't seen his stand-up work. He's kinda bizarre.

Aziz Ansari is really funny.

Scott Aukerman, who hosts Comedy Death Ray and also worked on Mr. Show, is pretty funny.

Anthony Jeselnik is also pretty funny, my only complaint being I prefer bits to his sort of very quick joke style (Hedberg style)

Eugene Mirman is a bizarre but great comic.

Doug Benson is pretty funny, but like Kroll I tend to like his casual conversation to his actual act, which is still pretty enjoyable.

And in non-stand up, I am currently in love with the shows Archer and Community (and, of course, Arrested Development), and always love the writing of John Hodgman.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
re: PFT

It's a feeling I've gotten as I've listened to lots of his standup and followed him on Twitter and observed how he reacts to people. Not any one thing. I'll try to come up with some evidence, though. I'd love to claim him for the NTPs, but I just get the feeling he's NF. He's my fave. (He's also in his 40s now, so he may be more balanced and therefore harder to read.)

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And in non-stand up, I am currently in love with the shows Archer and Community (and, of course, Arrested Development), and always love the writing of John Hodgman.

"Lana. Lana! LANAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"
Frisky Dingo is also excellent, I wished it went for longer than it actually did...

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I guess I could see him as an F (in particular his talks with Jen Kirkman on his podcast, now that I think of it, seems F-y), but I'm not fully convinced he's F or T really.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
I've always found myself more drawn towards Comedians that were also NTs. George Carlin, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Lewis Black (sometimes he's good), etc. They seem just miles ahead of non-NTs in Humor to me, and heres the thing, Non-NTs don't like them! Atleast from my experience they don't, every time I recite a Steven Wright joke (with perfect timing of course, not just randomly) around my ST friends I get blank stares and then I have to proceed to butcher the joke by explaining it, then all I get is "Ohhhhh.." and no laughter :(.

I also find myself hating on non-NT comedians, they're not funny! People like Chris Rock and Dane Cook just aren't funny to me (they're STs right?), Dane Cook annoys the hell out of me actually. I need comedy that is clever and makes me think alot, and I find myself only getting that from NTs.

Your thoughts?

I personally dont like any of those comedians. But i also hate Dane Cook haha. I think people may just appreciate comedians with their own types and consider their humor to be 'miles ahead of other types' humor'. Personally dave chappele is by far my favorite. And hes definetely an ENFP.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Can of worms: Seinfeld. Yay/Nay?

I loved the Seinfeld show in the 90s.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Agreed on all counts!

Also agree here. I don't see Black being NT. I could see how he'd be perceived that way, though.

I love Mitch Hedberg. So sad he died. What type do y'all think he was?

I'm a huge fan of standup, and it doesn't have to be NTish to be funny, but I do like offbeat, cerebral stuff. Another couple of comedians I like are Mike Birbiglia mike birbiglia - Google Video

and Stephen Lynch. YouTube - Stephen Lynch- Beelz

Mike B was good.....You can say 'Cracka' but not 'Cracker' :laugh:......he had a couple of good ones

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Seinfeld wasn't a funny comedian.

I like a little life with my comedy. The best comedians to me are able to also incorporate body language and gestures into their act. Props aren't necessary if you have decent storytellling ability.

Sunny Ghost

I've always found myself more drawn towards Comedians that were also NTs. George Carlin, Steven Wright, Mitch Hedberg, Lewis Black (sometimes he's good), etc. They seem just miles ahead of non-NTs in Humor to me, and heres the thing, Non-NTs don't like them! Atleast from my experience they don't, every time I recite a Steven Wright joke (with perfect timing of course, not just randomly) around my ST friends I get blank stares and then I have to proceed to butcher the joke by explaining it, then all I get is "Ohhhhh.." and no laughter :(.

I also find myself hating on non-NT comedians, they're not funny! People like Chris Rock and Dane Cook just aren't funny to me (they're STs right?), Dane Cook annoys the hell out of me actually. I need comedy that is clever and makes me think alot, and I find myself only getting that from NTs.

Your thoughts?

I love George Carlin. He's one of my favorites, and I'm an non-NT. I also love comedians like Bill Hicks (another suspected NT).

Also, I don't think Mitch Hedberg is an NT. I think I've heard INFP or ISFP for him.