• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] How common are INTP 9s?

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Lately I've been trying to interpret most of my personality test results. I tend to score high on 4 and 5, and especially 5 though I don't think I'm a 5. I'm probably a 9 with a 4 and 5 fix in my tritype, and specifically in MBTI, INxP (most of my results are always borderline thinking and feeling).

But to the point, I was wondering how common are INTP enneatype 9s? I've seen a few charts that show the correlation, but I'm wondering what INTP 9s are like since e9s tend to be IxFPs. Are they not as actively brooding and focused as an INTP enneatype 5? Are they more likeable than INTP 5s? What do you know?

Here's one of the charts I've found.

tumblr_moaalulBiB1sq3u8zo1_1280.jpg

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think 5 is by far the most common enneatype for INTP, with type 9 being a distant second. INTP 9's are not uncommon. Now something like an INTP 2, that would be strange. I'd wager that the majority of INTPs have a type 9 gut fix.

Octavarium

When you're considering your own personality, the strength of each of your MBTI preferences matters. So 9 is probably a more likely Enneagram type for someone who is essentially INxP or INtP than for an INTP with a strong T preference. It also depends what exactly you relate to about 9, and how you see the type. Usually, the 9's conflict avoidance is attributed to the fact that they don't want to cause friction in their relationships; if they assert their opinions and preferences, people might not like that and they may lose the connection they had. That doesn't seem very likely for an INTP. On the other hand, if you take the view that a 9's conflict avoidance is caused by apathy, I.E. they avoid conflict simply because they'd rather not have to deal with it, and not because they fear any particular consequences, I don't think that's inconsistent with INTP. The former is how the type is more commonly described, but I'm sure I've read descriptions that are more like the latter. I'd also point out that the 9's dislike of unpleasantness often causes them to ignore their own feelings, which seems more likely for an INTP than an INFP. So perhaps an INFP 9 would be more likely to fear the disharmony with other people aspect of conflict (because of the greater focus on relationships that an F preference brings) whereas an INTP 9 might be more likely to fear that conflict will stir up feelings (both their own and other people's) which they'd rather not have to deal with. This is all based on theoretical analysis, not experience; I haven't come across many INTP 9s on forums, and I'm pretty certain I don't know any IRL.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think that if someone claims to be an INTP and 9, he is mistyped.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Lately I've been trying to interpret most of my personality test results. I tend to score high on 4 and 5, and especially 5 though I don't think I'm a 5. I'm probably a 9 with a 4 and 5 fix in my tritype, and specifically in MBTI, INxP (most of my results are always borderline thinking and feeling).

But to the point, I was wondering how common are INTP enneatype 9s? I've seen a few charts that show the correlation, but I'm wondering what INTP 9s are like since e9s tend to be IxFPs. Are they not as actively brooding and focused as an INTP enneatype 5? Are they more likeable than INTP 5s? What do you know?

You don't strike me as an INTP. AT ALL.

You also don't strike me as a 9. At all. With the possible exception that you're an unhealthy 9, who disintegrates into 6. In fact, for a while now, i have been thinking you're probably a 6. Both 4 and 9 are common mistypes for 6.

Here's one of the charts I've found.

tumblr_moaalulBiB1sq3u8zo1_1280.jpg

I actually made that chart, with [MENTION=5627]BlackCat[/MENTION]'s inputs.

Here is another I made, using data on >10,000 members at Personality Cafe.

MBTI-Enneagramnowing-Correlation-PersonalityCafeData2.jpg

The data there suggests about a 10:1 ratio of e5 INTPs : e9 INTPs.

And this is about what I had in mind off the top of my head (minimum 4-5:1, likely ~10:1)

One thing that might skew this data is that e5s might be more prone to foruming than e9s.

For a good example of an e9 INTP, see [MENTION=6643]Fluffywolf[/MENTION]

http://forums.intpcentral.com/showthread.php?20745-The-Great-INTP-Enneagram-Poll

About 7-8% of INTPs are e9 according to this poll. The actual number is probably higher because e9s are so prone to mistyping themselves.

I haven't had much experience with INTP 9s, but I think on average they tend to have more Ti/Fe balance than INTP 5s.

This.

I think 5 is by far the most common enneatype for INTP, with type 9 being a distant second. INTP 9's are not uncommon. Now something like an INTP 2, that would be strange. I'd wager that the majority of INTPs have a type 9 gut fix.

And this.

Don't listen to this nonsense.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

You also don't strike me as a 9. At all. With the possible exception that you're an unhealthy 9, who disintegrates into 6. In fact, for a while now, i have been thinking you're probably a 6. Both 4 and 9 are common mistypes for 6.

And this is about what I had in mind off the top of my head (minimum 4-5:1, likely ~10:1)

One thing that might skew this data is that e5s might be more prone to foruming than e9s.

This.

And this.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP

What about the functional hierarchy of INTPs makes E9 unlikely?

This seems like it could apply to my caricature of the INTP:
The problem Nines have with instinct is that they have repressed the ability to assert the self so they can be more receptive to the other. Eventually, their sense of self can become so repressed that they are barely functional as individuals, so totally do they discount themselves and live through someone else, or just as bad, so completely do they live in a world of hazy illusions. By repressing themselves, their awareness of themselves, other people, and the world gradually becomes leveled out so that nothing can bother them. They become disengaged—at peace, but unrelated to the world.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

9 screams F, more precisely(but not limited to) SFJ

Here is a 9 describing himself;

“I am aware of focusing on other people, wondering what they are like, how and where they live, etc. In a relationship with others, I often give up my own agenda in favor of the other person’s. I have to be on guard about giving in to other’s demands and discounting my own legitimate needs.”

I agree that INTPs have SFJ in them and that some INTPs act more like 9's than other INTPs, but to have this sort of SFJ attitude as a best definition of self(better than e types that clearly show thinking attitude) just means that the person is not an INTP, but some other type(or that the person is an INTP and misidentifies with 9 profile more than others due to some life circumstances that has forced him to go deeper in his SFJ shadow).

This seems like it could apply to my caricature of the INTP:
The problem Nines have with instinct is that they have repressed the ability to assert the self so they can be more receptive to the other. Eventually, their sense of self can become so repressed that they are barely functional as individuals, so totally do they discount themselves and live through someone else, or just as bad, so completely do they live in a world of hazy illusions. By repressing themselves, their awareness of themselves, other people, and the world gradually becomes leveled out so that nothing can bother them. They become disengaged—at peace, but unrelated to the world.

That sounds like propably the most common problem for FJs and i dont think it fits to INTPs that well.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
9 screams F, more precisely(but not limited to) SFJ

Here is a 9 describing himself;

I agree that INTPs have SFJ in them and that some INTPs act more like 9's than other INTPs, but to have this sort of SFJ attitude as a best definition of self(better than e types that clearly show thinking attitude) just means that the person is not an INTP, but some other type(or that the person is an INTP and misidentifies with 9 profile more than others due to some life circumstances that has forced him to go deeper in his SFJ shadow).

That sounds like propably the most common problem for FJs and i dont think it fits to INTPs that well.

Fair enough. 9 seems the likely gut fix for INTPs, but I can see how its core typing could be circumstantial.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

Nothing.

He doesn't know shit about the enneagram.

E5 is by far the most common INTP, but there are literally tens of millions of well-functioning INTP 9s in the world.

I was just at the wedding of a buddy I've known for >20 years who is an INTP e9.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There're ISTP 9s, so why would an INTP 9 be so unlikely?

INTP 9s...low-key, sense of humor is quirky without being dark, gives off a vibe of being more balanced, less prone to inferior-Fe breakouts (breakdowns?), indifference stems more from internal numbing and external disregard but not the coldness one can see with 5s.

Those are my musings on it anyway. OP, I could see you being an INFP 6.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Really? I think there are a lot of ISTP e9s

My best friend's dad, who I've known for 27 of my 30 years, and is basically like my second father, is a blatantly obvious ISTP 9.

Based on the Personality Cafe data, they're just about the same (5% for INTPs, 6% for ISTPs).

And that's with only ~70% reporting (so probably more like 8/9/10%).

INTP 9s...low-key, sense of humor is quirky without being dark, gives off a vibe of being more balanced, less prone to inferior-Fe breakouts (breakdowns?), indifference stems more from internal numbing and external disregard but not the coldness one can see with 5s.

I actually love the INTP 9s.

They're way more chill than the 5s.

When I think of INTP 9s, I think of Abraham Lincoln.

Those are my musings on it anyway.

They were pretty spot on.

The hallmark of the e9 INTPs is that they have way better Fe usage than the e5s.

And, no, this is not a sign that they are not actually INTPs.

OP, I could see you being an INFP 6.

Agreed.

Evo

Unapologetic being
MBTI Type
XNTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I didn't think it was uncommon. :shock:

The introverted types in general always seem more likely to score higher as 9, compared to extraverts.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Paging [MENTION=14676]Ism[/MENTION]

Eugene Watson VIII

Senor Membrae
MBTI Type
xxxP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This.

And this.

Thanks for the response.

I don't see myself as an INTP either, excluding the fact that I frequently type as it and score high on Ti for an 'INFP'. I've never considered myself as intellectual as INTP e5s, and more or less, INTPs, but the INTP e9 inferior and interior functions are more strengthened and so I thought it could be a stronger possibility since it means the feeling function is heightened. Once again, my initial results were INFP e4, and I tried answering as honest as I could. I don't really relate to type 4s and relate more to e9s now that I think about it (I've settled on type 9 a couple of times, though when I was at the point of giving up and relating to pretty much all types except e8). Tbh I consider myself INFP though most questions, especially in the human metrics test seem to measure 'thinking' more than the aloofness that comes with it that is concerned in other tests. e6? I'm not so sure about that, but I'm glad you have at least some significant impression on me besides being a pretentious douchebag :D

As for MBTI again, I know I at least use a lot of Ne. When I write I notice I don't pay attention to one single stream of thought, it tends to bounce around and broaden the context with new loosely related ideas. I occasionally use Ni but it doesn't feel natural at all so that would rule out xSxP. I scored higher on Te than Ti too, so I can definitely see xNFP, more so INFP.

Love the charts too, of course an NTJ made it lol.

Those are my musings on it anyway. OP, I could see you being an INFP 6.

I've read a lot on reddit about IxTPs and there is some information gleaming out there that discusses the gut triad, which are mainly type 9 and how frequently they test as it. I'm pretty sure I know a 9w8 ISTP on top of that.

I appreciate you've had some thought about my enneagram, but what is it that makes me seem like a e6? I own several books, I think three on the ennegram and I don't relate too much to it. I don't doubt it, just not certain of it. I'd also like to know whether you think I'm a 6w7 or 6w5.