• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] In-The-Head conversations

Kalyrn

MBTI Type
INTP
I do this all the time. Some times I will only have the conversion in my head and never bother to have it with the person in question because I feel that I have already covered the ground and I know how they will respond.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
I would really like to see some examples of your in-your-head conversations. Anyone willing to share?

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
All the time. I also end up pacing around the room at the same time, which is apparently amusing for anyone who walks in on me. If I'm doing it with someone I know well and I'm comfortable with whatever topic it happens to be, I'll occasionally bring it up to see if I guessed their end correctly, though I mostly don't mention it.

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
I can't say that I have full conversations, but I do try to predict peoples reactions to things that I could say to them. It's kind of like one of those logic puzzles that involve a lying doorman and a truth telling doorman, and you have to ask them questions for whatever reason.

"If I say A to person B they will respond by saying C.." and so on.

Jughead

MBTI Type
INTP
I DO THIS ALL THE TIME. Especially if I have to reply to emails or stuff, I compose a really long email in my head, and when I actually sit down to write it, it feels like I've already said everything I wanted to say, but I haven't said a word, so it feels repetitive, and then I go procrastinate and do something else... and... um, I believe I've answered the question.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What do you get out of total domination of your conversation partner?

It is qute simple.
1. I get an asshole image so everybody are avoiding me. What is much better then option that I have to avoid everybody else.

2. If you do it carefully you can spread your ideas this way.

But I am aware of the fact that I am too aloof and intimidating.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
For the longest time I found that I was essentially 'having conversations' with people that I knew, trying to figure out what their response would be to something I asked them... all in my head.

I would run through all of the different possible reactions, (sometimes getting myself so worked up by their responses that I would literally feel sad, angry, etc) and then decide which one they were most likely to give me... AND THEN NEVER ASK THEM THE QUESTION! I would move forward as if we had the conversation :shock:

Crazy-Delusional, or INTJ-ish?

I have done that and I'm totally NF...and E. Perhaps the difference is eventually I will have the conversation I need to have because it's not fair to the other person..even if I'm almost competely sure the convo will turn out as I thought. I have to take a step away and watch myself during the actual convo because I don't want to manipulate it to go the way I imagined...

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Some people are like that...like me, except I wouldn't pretend the conversation existed...the parts where I would get worked up was if I thought there could be a serious problem.

It is qute simple.
1. I get am asshole image so everybody are avoiding me. What is much better then option that I have to avoid everybody else.

2. If you do it carefully you can spread your ideas this way.

But I am aware of the fact that I am too aloof and intimidating.

Antisocial one you crack me up.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno about INTJ-ish,but Definitely seems IN-ish. Meanwhile we IS types go through all the possible things we SHOULD have said in a past conversation. ;)

Did it all the time. Still sometimes do it, although developing a social side really helped me.

And... uh, Jeffster, I do the second part too a lot. :)

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
I would really like to see some examples of your in-your-head conversations. Anyone willing to share?

Ok, here goes. This was the kind of thing I used to do to my ex:

Conversation 1:

Me: Sweetie, I really feel lonely and neglected when you sit in front of the computer all night long playing WoW...

Him: ... What? <click, click, click>

Me: I said that I wish you would log off the computer for a bit and spend some time with me...

Him: Ok, I will. We're in the middle of a raid right now though so gimme like ... an hour or two... <click, click, click>

Me: Nevermind. I'll go take a bath :huh:

[This conversation did not have the desired results, and is the most probably way it will go in my initial thinking... so since it didn't get me what I want, I need to see if I can word things differently or take a different approach]

Conversation 2

Me: Sweetie... your favorite show is going to be coming on TV pretty soon, do you want to come watch it with me?

Him: <click, click, click> What show is it?

Me: Uh, your favorite one of course (thinks frantically) ... CSI (pats self on back for remembering under the gun) [I literally can stump myself with these in the head conversations]

Him: Oh, they're running a re-run this week, I saw the preview earlier. <click, click, click>

[From here though, I may extrapolate different answers and consider them...]

Him: I can't leave my group right now, can you record it on the DVR so we can watch it later?

Him: Can you just turn the TV this way and turn it up a bit? You can sit over here by me of you want...

etc etc etc

After each one of these responses, I'll go through my answers to them, probably getting more and more ticked off as I go.

Conversation # 3

Me: [Getting more desperate in my attempts now and willing to consider just about anything] Oh Darling... I bought something at Victorias Secrets today... you wanna see it? (wink)

Him: (perk) I'm logging out, hold on ...

[Crap, if I do this I actually have to put out... then he'll go back to playing WoW... plus I haven't been to VS... *sigh*]

By this time I'll probably be distracted by something else that comes up so when he gets home that night and logs into WoW I'll walk through the door, see him sitting there and get instantly pissed off because he's still playing on the computer. I don't say anything, but I silently march off to the bedroom alone to go to sleep... angry.

:doh:

edel weiss

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh, I do that all the time. Real people - fictional scenarios, real people - real scenarios, fictional people... sometimes I'm myself, sometimes I'm another character I made up and then I interact with some more made up or fictional characters.

I sometimes feel like I'm so caught up in my fantasies that I'm confused about what I really did and didn't do. I live in several different worlds at the same time, and oscillate between them as my moods take me. It's hard to keep track of them at times. I can't remember a time when I didn't do this.

:redface:

No, I'm not schizophrenic.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
i also do this a lot, particularly when i'm trying to go to sleep at night. It often keeps me awake for hours. Mine usually involve me interacting with someone i've never met before or someone that i don't know well.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I DO THIS ALL THE TIME. Especially if I have to reply to emails or stuff, I compose a really long email in my head, and when I actually sit down to write it, it feels like I've already said everything I wanted to say, but I haven't said a word, so it feels repetitive, and then I go procrastinate and do something else... and... um, I believe I've answered the question.

I do, that, too, and it feels like a drain of energy to repeat myself when I've already hashed it out in my head. I really have to watch indulging my head conversations too much.

I also have to remember to let the other person surprise me--they might not react the way I think they will.

Ishida

MBTI Type
INTJ
Oh, I do that all the time. Real people - fictional scenarios, real people - real scenarios, fictional people... sometimes I'm myself, sometimes I'm another character I made up and then I interact with some more made up or fictional characters.

I sometimes feel like I'm so caught up in my fantasies that I'm confused about what I really did and didn't do. I live in several different worlds at the same time, and oscillate between them as my moods take me. It's hard to keep track of them at times. I can't remember a time when I didn't do this.

:redface:

No, I'm not schizophrenic.
That's how mine works, only I can usually control which "world" I'm in.

freebird

MBTI Type
INTP
I think I have more fictional conversations than real ones. Sometimes I have a fake one to test the waters for a real one I want to initiate. Sometimes I just feel like thinking about someone and it needs a context, hence the imaginary conversation. Often it involves me saying things that are much bolder than I would venture in reality (declarations of love etc.) Sometimes I can control them better than other times.

The biggest problem I seem to have as a result of them is that all of these conversations seem to me to draw me closer to the people I'm "talking" with and when I actually interact with them I feel closer to them than they do to me. Well, that and that I can completely delude myself...

Also the effects are more extreme if I don't have actual interactions to temper the imaginary ones for an extended period of time (and that amount of time varies based on the person.)

Firelie

Magical
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
For the longest time I found that I was essentially 'having conversations' with people that I knew, trying to figure out what their response would be to something I asked them... all in my head.

I would run through all of the different possible reactions, (sometimes getting myself so worked up by their responses that I would literally feel sad, angry, etc) and then decide which one they were most likely to give me... AND THEN NEVER ASK THEM THE QUESTION! I would move forward as if we had the conversation :shock:

Crazy-Delusional, or INTJ-ish?

Can't it be both? I do the same thing sometimes, and get confused when they have no idea what I'm talking about.

I also sometimes think about scenarios to the point where it seems like they've already happened when they haven't. One time I had a dream during the night in which I used the bathroom, and I woke up terribly confused that I still had to go pee...