• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Do you HATE Guessing Games?

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
I like to play the guessing game for humorous effect, usually with rhetorical or seemingly rhetorical questions.

"Guess who just found out priceless family heirlooms sink to the ocean floor."

"Guess how many stab wounds it takes before a person stops screaming."

"Guess how much time you just lost listening to me say this."

(and, for a few "jokes" that came to mind):

"What's small, wet, and red all over?" "A dying child soldier in Africa."

"Did you hear the one about the civil rights protected by the PATRIOT ACT?" "Me neither."

"How many cavemen does it take to screw in a lightbulb? No, I am not making some reference to a Geico commercial."

"According the the Theory of Relativity, as a mass accelerates... Meh, I'll skip to the joke. Take a walk around the block and drop a few pounds, fatty."

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
"Guess which of these I don't have in my garage, a porche or a bucket of severed baby heads"? XD

Yes I agree that those are amusing, though they're only so when they're grotesque or disturbing enough. If they're mundane then they really don't have the element of shock value to them sadly. Which means either people find them funny, or yeu find the cops at yeur house again >.>;;

Which really really sucks, I'm seriously running out of freezer space ;_;

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
I get out of these situations by guessing the most unlikely things that spring to mind until the other party gets frustrated and just tells me.

"Guess what I did today!"
"You were erotically massaged by a gibbon."
"Er. No, really, guess."
"You built your own working copy of the antikythera mechanism."
"The what?"
"You discovered how many ping pong balls fit inside a cat."
"Remember how we were talking about how there aren't any good doughnuts around here? Well, I was talking to Joan and she told me about this new place that opened up by Fisherman's Wharf. I was going to North Beach anyway and that wasn't too far away, so I stopped in, and guess what I got you!"
"A signed photograph of Sonny Bono."
"I got you a chocolate cruller, dickhead."
"That was my next guess."

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Just guess things which either makes them blush or cuts close to their vunerabilities... the former works well if their pretty..the second if they ain't..

;)

pretty girls who blush at the first remark?
Dude, do you live in a 18th century romantic novel ..?

"Oh darn gosh, an ankle:blush:"

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Wait wait I just realized, I made a minor omission... there is ONE guessing game I don't mind playing... generally when I want to tell someone something, but give them gradual clues to see how long it takes them to reason it out, or because I'm just curious as to their answers. The first few, without any real information, are generally rather humourous and grow progressively more witty, though as they gain clues they get more serious usually. Unless they just give more bizzare ones, then I stretch it out because it's more interesting than actually giving the answer usually >.>

So maybe I'm a tiny bit guilty, but it's less about the 'guess whot I have' as in a game to be won, but more of a test to see how they'll react, so technically it doesn't count. I'm sure they still hate it though >.>

The death threats may've been my first tip off. I'm not sure.

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
Unless it was being used as a purely random means on determining something for greater purpose, yes.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Y'all NTs are ornery. "Guess what happened to me today?" I love these sorts of games. It's one of those rare social situations you get a free chance to say whatever you want to, without it even having to make sense or mean anything or be responsive or personal. I throw out all sort of whatever free-association sentences I can (not waiting for the answer), before the person cuts me off with the real answer. :unsure:

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
If I'm being made to guess, then yes. But I love making other people play them :D

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
"Do you hate guessing games?"

YES. I have a few friends who do this constantly, and will actually not tell me the answer until I make some sort of guess.

"OMG Guess what I just found out?"
Me: "....what?"
"NO, GUESS"

It's a big pet peeve of mine, I don't know why it bothers me so much.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Y'all NTs are ornery. "Guess what happened to me today?" I love these sorts of games. It's one of those rare social situations you get a free chance to say whatever you want to, without it even having to make sense or mean anything or be responsive or personal. I throw out all sort of whatever free-association sentences I can (not waiting for the answer), before the person cuts me off with the real answer. :unsure:

I don't think this would turn out as well as you're thinking, especially when it's likely that the Guess What question has already irritated them enough. Ornery? Yep. Really tired of people not making sense and playing games? Yep. Add me having to read someone's mind on top of it? Be happy if you exit that conversation unscathed.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
"Do you hate guessing games?"

YES. I have a few friends who do this constantly, and will actually not tell me the answer until I make some sort of guess.

"OMG Guess what I just found out?"
Me: "....what?"
"NO, GUESS"

It's a big pet peeve of mine, I don't know why it bothers me so much.

Best solution I've found here is to really stress it in such a way that they don't ever try to do it to yeu again, and that yeu get enjoyment out of.

"Guess what?"
"Uhm.. oh wow, yeu didn't, seriously, HOLY HELL YEU KILLED A GUY!? IN BROAD DAYLIGHT!? WTH WERE YEU THINKING O.O "
"Wait what!? I didn't... but I... oh hell everyone's staring at us..."

That usually stops them from doing that in the future. Bonus points if there's a police officer in sight range.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Even as a child, I despised when someone (my little sisters, friends, etc) would say 'Guess what color I'm thinking of' or 'Guess how many fingers I'm holding up behind my back'. I would get almost immediately angry and never knew why until I got older and started studying my personality type.

I suppose that it must be the INTJ influence that makes me feel like its an insult to anyone's intelligence to simply make un-reasoned, arbitrary guesses at something... and it makes me ANGRY! I very rarely feel anger at all, but for some reason those words kick me off on an instant irritation.

As a parent, my daughter of 8 loves to play these games with me and I have to constantly remind myself to be nice and not yell, as I did when I was younger, "This game is stupid!" :shock: I calmly take a deep breath and play along until I can't take it anymore and I try to change the subject. Things like 'I Spy' drive me crazy.

Do any other INTJs, or maybe NT's in general, have this problem or am I just nuts?

:cry:

Hate when people make me guess/stall shit/make me wait when it's not necessary...not as in what colour do I like, but "I won't tell you until later even though I could now, haha, how fun, you can guess, though."... feels like manipulation.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Hate when people make me guess/stall shit/make me wait when it's not necessary...not as in what colour do I like, but "I won't tell you until later even though I could now, haha, how fun, you can guess, though."... feels like manipulation.

Haha, yes, or "There is someone here to see you." Who damnit? "Just come see." HULKOUT!

sonata

MBTI Type
iNtJ
Yes. "Guess what?" annoys me, if you don't tell me what after I ask "what". I'll usually say something ridiculous if you make me guess.

But when I first saw this subject heading, I thought you were going to talk about guessing games in relationships, e.g. having someone intentionally keep you guessing about whether or not they are into you. I'm not a fan of this either.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
the really arbitrary ones, I just see as a challenge to think of something that's totally sure to be more interesting than what they actually have in their hand, bag, whatever.

guess what I've found?
a cure for AIDS? a solution to world poverty? an egg of the rare luna moth?
uh, well it's just a pretzel...
Oh. that's really unexciting
yeah...

that's how I get fun out of them :D

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I haven't encountered too many "guessing game" situations recently, but I know that in my childhood I definitely hated the "guess what number I'm thinking of" type games. I'd always just say right off the bat, "I don't know. Just tell me." And if they insisted on my guessing, I'd get irritated and tell them that I didn't care.

Some people use the "guess what happened to me today" phrases as set-ups for their stories, though, so I don't think those count. If they really wanted me to guess, I'd get impatient and ruin their fun.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
"Hello, what have I got in my pocket?"
"Not fair! not fair! It isn't fair, my precious, is it!"