• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ's and disregard for authority

Cindy

MBTI Type
INTJ
I've read a few descriptions of INTJness now and they tell me that I have a disregard for authority. This is of course true because I don't care what position you are in, or who you are, you rate as highly to me as any other other person on the planet until I am proven otherwise. Which is the way I think it should be right? You need to have more than title or reputation to impress me... you will actually have earn my respect. Further to this I am not capable of pretending I am impressed when Im not.

Of late I have began to wonder wether I am disadvantaging myself by having this 'attitude' especially as far as work goes. Unfortunately I do also wonder what the pros and cons of this are for me as a female.

I am never going to be best friends with an authority figure for the sake of climbing the ladder though I may find tolerance for them.
I guess then that this is also about disregarding politics.

What have other INTJ's found to be the outcomes of their disregard for authority and lack of time for politics?
When does it work and when does it not?
How can I make it work for me?

MetalWounds

More human than human
MBTI Type
TP
Enneagram
9w8
I'm in the military and it has been a constant source of agitation for me.

I've found that it's been in my best interest to at least appear buy into the system until I'm in a position of authority. Call it a facade or call it fake, it really saves time and energy from constantly butting heads with everyone.

You can fast become the odd man out in almost any group if constantly do things "your way". Of course that's the way any INTJ would prefer to do things, but when you work in such an environment you have to take into account those dynamics. That's where genuinely intelligent people succeed and those less so just end up spinning their wheels.

I'd suggest not challenging the authority of those above you unless you they are on the dead end wrong side of things, instead of every chance you get.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
To prejudge that someone does not have authority over you is as illogical as the presumption that they do.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I agree with what you say about earning respect. I’d say I don't have a problem with authority I just have a thing with usually thinking I know best and a low tolerance for incompetence in positions of power. As such I try to respect the position and realise I don't necessarily have to respect the person who has it.

Pick your battles wisely and try to keep an open mind that the other person may have something to offer.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I agree with your premise that people in high positions do not automatically deserve respect. My advice is to keep this to yourself. Publicly displaying an attitude and general disdain for authority is likely to limit your chances for advancement (at least in the corporate world).

You have to play the game a bit. It doesn't mean that you're a pushover or sellout. It means that you have your own best interest in mind.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree with your premise that people in high positions do not automatically deserve respect. My advice is to keep this to yourself. Publicly displaying an attitude and general disdain for authority is likely to limit your chances for advancement (at least in the corporate world).

You have to play the game a bit. It doesn't mean that you're a pushover or sellout. It means that you have your own best interest in mind.

This sounds much like my INTJ boss' approach to things. Originally I remember him bucking the system alot (and lots of griping about who didn't deserve his respect), then realizing begrudgingly he had to play the game to some degree, in order to benefit himself and us... so he follows his ethics but he also plays the larger political system to position himself and win sensibly.

Still, you don't want to get him on a roll while out at the bar on a Friday night.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The interesting thing I noted with INTJs is that they are quite quick to pull others down if they think that the person is over-estimating their importance or authority but it's rarer for them to self aggrandise (which is common amoungst other's who worry about relative positions of power).

Mind you this so doesn't apply when the INTJ tells you the answer. In that case they're right... no question... absolute authority...unquestionably the ultimate being....

:D

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Isn't it funny that while we don't respect authority, we place ourselves at the top of our totem pole? Without asking anyones permission... or really even having to prove it to anyone else... we become our own best cheerleader and plug our ears and close our eyes while happily dancing along our merry way.

Ahhhh to never have to question ones own sense of authority and power...

My work mantra, if I let it be publicly known, would be:

"I'll let you be my boss as long as you don't interfere with my plans."

I've even been known to manipulate my boss into doing things that I wanted done, and letting him think it was his idea. The ends justify the means? I didn't have to fight with him to get it done, and the process works much better now...

Thats politics ;)

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
The interesting thing I noted with INTJs is that they are quite quick to pull others down if they think that the person is over-estimating their importance or authority but it's rarer for them to self aggrandise (which is common amoungst other's who worry about relative positions of power).

Mind you this so doesn't apply when the INTJ tells you the answer. In that case they're right... no question... absolute authority...unquestionably the ultimate being....

:D

Some sure but as a blanket statement not true, that kind of arrogance is just that arrogance, INTJs are capable of accepting that we don't know absolutely everything about everything and are not the grand poobah.

Now back in your box :D

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Some sure but as a blanket statement not true, that kind of arrogance is just that arrogance, INTJs are capable of accepting that we don't know absolutely everything about everything and are not the grand poobah.

Now back in your box :D
I would hesitate before I called it arrogance. It's logical assumption as professed by Mr Holmes himself (INTJs do take their lead from INTPs after all :devil: ), when you can no longer see any more viable alternatives then surely the answer you have IS the right one.

Took me frickin ages to "correct" that miscalculation in my INTJ friend but I'd still say he stops short of "bigging himself up".... never very far from putting others down though :rofl1:

As for my box :steam: ... I have none... QUIT TRYING TO PIGEON HOLE ME!!! I'M AN INTP..... YOU KNOW US INTPs ARE SPECIAL....

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would hesitate before I called it arrogance. It's logical assumption as professed by Mr Holmes himself (INTJs do take their lead from INTPs after all :devil: ), when you can no longer see any more viable alternatives then surely the answer you have IS the right one.

Logical assumption, yep I like that wording better.

*Gets distracted by devil emoticon and ignores middle section* Red really catches my attention you know.

Took me frickin ages to "correct" that miscalculation in my INTJ friend but I'd still say he stops short of "bigging himself up".... never very far from putting others down though :rofl1:

Sadly it does happen in some cases.

As for my box :steam: ... I have none... QUIT TRYING TO PIGEON HOLE ME!!! I'M AN INTP..... YOU KNOW US INTPs ARE SPECIAL....

:yes:

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
I have an INTJ friend who I've worked with for years who is seriously the only person I know who has trouble with our boss (who I think might be... ISFJ? or ENFJ? Hard to tell with him). They really clash because my friend will bring up really logical points of concern or point out mistakes that the principal or the school improvement team made, and I think it rubs my boss the wrong way more than it might if I did it. It might be the INTJ's presentation. Or it might be a "man thing" (and maybe my boss sees it as a power struggle). But sheesh, they sure do clash.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm, I don't get told I have a disregard for authority, but incompetent authority figures do challenge my sanity... I tend to find ways to manipulate those ones for my own ends while covertly showing their boss my awsomeness.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Even question my own...sometimes...at night...when no one can see me.

I have little inherent respect for authority, not the construct, nor the person that fills it.

I play the game, but I know I do. It gives me the opportunity to gather credit which I can then use when I want to communicate my disapproval of certain apsects/actions of people in authority. If this dynamic fails, I get rebellious, though.

Jeximo

MBTI Type
INTP
I thought all NTs disregard authority.

Tertiary Fi is the cause to the disregard of authority, I believe...

I can fake my respect to authority figures pretty well if I have to... I tend to be an asshole pretty quickly if I detect any insult towards my intelligence; however.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I thought all NTs disregard authority.

It's all of the SPs who really disregard authority as lots of NTs even though they don't listen to the authorities like to be the authorities. Hypocrites!

Fourplay

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
NTs don't like to be the authorities.

I would rather not lead my organization, or had I a deep desire to be an entrepreneur. It's just that I didn't fit in anywhere else. And the people who were leading the current organizations I didn't understand nor could accept their way of thinking. If they had done a more competent job then I'd back off and happily follow. But it's incredibly hard to respect someone who bases their statements on rather superficial arguments rather than depth of understanding.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My work mantra, if I let it be publicly known, would be:

"I'll let you be my boss as long as you don't interfere with my plans."

I've even been known to manipulate my boss into doing things that I wanted done, and letting him think it was his idea. The ends justify the means? I didn't have to fight with him to get it done, and the process works much better now...
I would add to this mantra, "I'll let you be my boss as long as you are doing a good job." INTJ doesn't so much reject authority as authority in the hands of the stupid. I, and many of us, will follow an authority or a leader who is intelligent, shares our goals, and is working effectively toward them. Since we don't tend to prefer to be the leader ourselves, it works best when we can ally ourselves with such a person. A workable alternative is a harmless boss who can be "steered" as MMR described. I have done this myself, to good effect. I have actually had ESTJ bosses that I can be very open with about it: as in, I'll do the work, if you can sell it to senior management.