• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] What cognitive processes are involved in these?

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
(While i want to know everyone else's opinion on these, I hypothesize these fall somewhere on the Ni-Te or Ti-Ne continuum, more the former than the latter. I will put # signs to show where I think separate cognitive processes are involved.)

So when I was leaving my house for college classes, I realized I needed to bring some crackers with me to school so that I wouldn't be hungry later that day#. When I picked up my unfinished bag of crackers, I noticed they made quite a bit of noise#. I realized then if I needed to eat in class, the noise of my cracker bag might be a distraction #, and knowing that my teacher is easily distractible from past experience# and not wanting to create an uncomfortable social encounter if she asked me to put the crackers away#, I decided to transfer my crackers from the noisier bag to a much quieter ziplock bag#. I then resumed packing my things as usual; but then I realized after I arrived at campus that I had forgotten to bring the crackers with me xD;; Whoops!

Any thoughts on this matter?

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Too concerned with how the present affects the future to even notice the present screams Ni dominant. Not sure what to say about Te vs Ti. The social consideration sounds like Fe but I could be wrong.

atlascatcher

MBTI Type
NiFe
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not sure how this corresponds to certain functions/processes but I relate to this on a religious level. :thumbup:

TreeBob

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am comfortable with Ni-Te with greater emphasis on the Te part.

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alright, now that I am not waiting for class to begin, I can provide a more in-depth analysis. But first, I want to acknowledge what has already been said:

Too concerned with how the present affects the future to even notice the present screams Ni dominant. Not sure what to say about Te vs Ti. The social consideration sounds like Fe but I could be wrong.

Yeah, I agree; the last part was definitely concerned with predicting and anticipating others' feelings. But it also could have been me realizing I would hate it if someone ELSE were making that much noise in class, so I shouldn't be a hypocrite and do it to anyone else (possibly Fi, who knows. I'm more concerned with the social sanctions of being identified as a 'hypocrite' than I am concerned with the act of hypocrisy itself.)

I'm not sure how this corresponds to certain functions/processes but I relate to this on a religious level. :thumbup:

We probably share cognitive processes then; for the longest time I was CERTAIN I was an INFJ, even though I had kind of a weird Fi-reaction when I first read the description of Fe when taking a humanmetrics test ("wha, I'm supposedly concerned with petty social rules instead of deeper underlying morals? GROSS!")

Over time I've come to realize I'm most certainly an INxJ due to my Dom Ni and my preference for thinking about long-term goals rather than enjoying the senses/possibilities of a given moment. The fact that I'm so hung up on whether I'm a T or an F also supports this theory (from what I undstand, IxxJs and ExxPs are more confused whether or not they're a T or F, whereas ExxJs and IxxPs are more confused whether or not they are S or N.)

I am comfortable with Ni-Te with greater emphasis on the Te part.

Yeah, I think the putting the crackers in the quieter bag was Te, because it logically circumvented the problem with minimal effort.

As for my own analysis, here goes:

So when I was leaving my house for college classes, I realized I needed to bring some crackers with me to school so that I wouldn't be hungry later that day#. (A mixture of Ni and Si here. Past experiences of foraging for food on campus probably suggested that I should avoid this issue. But also potentially Ni because I wasn't thinking about my past so much as worrying about the future outcome.)

When I picked up my unfinished bag of crackers, I noticed they made quite a bit of noise#. (Se)

I realized then if I needed to eat in class, the noise of my cracker bag might be a distraction #, (Fe, or possibly Fi telling me 'it would distract YOU, so who's to say it wouldn't distract anyone else?')

and knowing that my teacher is easily distractible from past experience# (Si, but also Ni telling me that she would call me out for this particular experience in spite of not having any literal evidence to suggest she would do so)

and not wanting to create an uncomfortable social encounter if she asked me to put the crackers away# (Definitely Fe, since I don't want to be negatively judged by my teacher or my peers and since I am willing to compromise my own behavior to keep from promoting conflict)

I decided to transfer my crackers from the noisier bag to a much quieter ziplock bag# (Ti or Te, but I'm leaning more towards the latter since it was a more knee-jerk reaction that only served to solve one problem; make less noise, rather than carefully weighing the pros and cons of switching the bags.)

I then resumed packing my things as usual; but then I realized after I arrived at campus that I had forgotten to bring the crackers with me xD;; Whoops! (#N-dom problems)

Werebudgie

I want my account deleted
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
but then I realized after I arrived at campus that I had forgotten to bring the crackers with me xD;; Whoops!

That made me actually physically laugh out loud. I would totally do something like that after a process as elaborate as you describe. That's classic.

I don't know if it's cognitive function related or not. But if it is, it would probably be Ni-dom/Se-inf. (and I don't know about the middle parts and specific INxJ type, could be Fe-aux but if the distraction thing is based on Fi using Se-inf experience as reference point, could be Te-aux also as far as I can tell.)

Anyway ... Holy crap, that last line was funny. Like "wait a minute, did I write this?"

:solidarity:

Ribonuke

MBTI Type
esTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That made me actually physically laugh out loud. I would totally do something like that after a process as elaborate as you describe. That's classic.

I don't know if it's cognitive function related or not. But if it is, it would probably be Ni-dom/Se-inf. (and I don't know about the middle parts and specific INxJ type, could be Fe-aux but if the distraction thing is based on Fi using Se-inf experience as reference point, could be Te-aux also as far as I can tell.)

Anyway ... Holy crap, that last line was funny. Like "wait a minute, did I write this?"

:solidarity:

xD Indeed! I concede to the possibility that I'm an INFJ that's very much in touch with my Ti, but I've been undergoing internal emotional changes lately that cause me to no longer identify as strongly with externalized feelings; I haven't forsaken Fe entirely, but I've embraced Te as a more suitable auxiliary function in order to keep myself in closer touch with my Fi (and my Fi feels more comfortable as a child than as a senex, and vise versa with Ti; I've only developed my Ti as a defense mechanism against others using theirs to mock everything I loved, since I tend to like most movies--even those which are critically panned--in spite of their flaws, and adore said films for my own private, arbitrary reasons)