• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The Ni Playground

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
What are some examples you or Ni-dom friends experience of Ni, especially when unchecked by Je?

(this probably won't pick up and I'll delete it, but just in case...)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In Ni All Worlds of Light possibly to impossibly may be reversed Will's Rainbows 2 Infinities-Ultimate making things revolve around Time and Creating multidimensional Matrices across each Heavenly box connected with Everything playing Now transcending Earth Forever!

Alea_iacta_est

My Experience

1. Irrational: Having the oddest sense that my entire life was staged by actors attempting to comfort me (as if I were someone who was mentally handicapped). Recurring.

2. In school, I learned things halfway through the teacher explaining them, as if I predicted there next words and examples. I would often softly whisper what I thought the teachers' next words would be about the subject, and I got it right like 2 out of 10 times for specifics and like 8 out of 10 times for general ideas.

3. I frequently envision what my life will be like in 5-10 years, and I can stay in these unfettered fantastical timelines for long periods of time somewhat uninterrupted by reality.

4. Irrational: Preparing in advance by forcing myself to clear my mind about socially upsetting subjects just in case someone happened to be able to mind-read, sometimes its to the point where I work out a scenario as to how I might have some sort of vulnerability in that I can't read people's minds but everyone else can read everyone's minds.

5. I plan for conversations that might never happen well in advance so that I can address counter-arguments that might blind-side me during the conversation, I play out idealistic conversations in my mind that seem to appeal to me. This is extremely frequent.

Half these or more are probably not related to Ni, but it is possible that they are(in fact, this is me envisioning an argument that could possibly be made by [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION], who currently believes me to be a Te dominant, so that I can address a possible point he could make arguing that some of these aren't Ni, which I am sure he will most likely point out. I now have to plan in advance for this conversation when he finally reads this thread due to my mentioning of him, and this changes the conversation in my mind somewhat).

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Non-sequitors.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Today one of my fb friends posted one of those stupid "real women" blahbityblah quotes. I told my daughter it was because she was dating this new guy who had probably been badmouthing his exes to her to try to gain her sympathy. Later today she broke up with him because he wouldn't stop talking about his exes.

yeghor

I posted on a thread in the morning today before leaving for work and then kept enacting my post as a dialogue with my inner voice to see it makes sense over and over again on my way to work...It's weird... I think it's a Ni-Ti loop... During those times it sometimes manifests in my body language ...

It looks like this at those times:

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
My Experience

1. Irrational: Having the oddest sense that my entire life was staged by actors attempting to comfort me (as if I were someone who was mentally handicapped). Recurring.

Haha, I had a friend who brought this idea up regularly. It occurs to me from time to time now, but it started with him.

4. Irrational: Preparing in advance by forcing myself to clear my mind about socially upsetting subjects just in case someone happened to be able to mind-read, sometimes its to the point where I work out a scenario as to how I might have some sort of vulnerability in that I can't read people's minds but everyone else can read everyone's minds.

5. I plan for conversations that might never happen well in advance so that I can address counter-arguments that might blind-side me during the conversation, I play out idealistic conversations in my mind that seem to appeal to me. This is extremely frequent.

I experience forms of both of these frequently. There have always been certain people I regulate my thoughts around, and plenty of situations where I feel compelled to act as if someone else is nearly omniscient. I also conduct the majority of my conversation in my head, sorting through my thoughts and explaining them as if to someone specific who I suspect misunderstood my actions. Sometimes these develop into arguments and sometimes they remain monologues.

I don't know if this is necessarily an example of Ni in action, but along a similar vein, sometimes if I'm considering something (either a possible action or underlying truth) I'll imagine myself explaining it in retrospect, once I've gathered the final data points that make it all align. Somehow matching my retelling of it with my current abstract sense of the truth gives me some assurance.

Last edited:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Here's an example of an Ni moment. I'm driving down the road thinking about an event that's happened when suddenly something else(recollection of another event or a tidbit of info) pops into my head and I have this sense of "oh, wow, I never saw that before!" And I realize that the two things are connected and then this whole big understanding opens up to me and I can see like an invisible network with tentacles and branches running into things that seem to have no relevance at all. Then suddenly, I start to remember things that I never knew I knew in the first place, things that I must have absorbed through osmosis or something.

Sometimes, the wheels will be turning so loudly in my mind that they drown out external sounds. When I do come back to the here and now and all the excitement in my mind quiets down, I realize what a noisy place my mind can be. Often, my greatest creations or endeavors are born through these moments. Other times, they lead me to solve preplexing issues on the job or in other places. Then people will say, "How'd you come up with that?" And that is a loaded question that they really don't want answered, but they don't know that they don't want it answered because it would require them to concentrate and really listen and even then, most won't get it, so I give a half-hearted answer like, it's just an idea I've been tinkering with. The truth is I didn't tinker with it. It sort of just popped into my head out of nowhere.

Anyone who happens to be with me when I have one of my little "zone outs" will likely ask me if I'm okay and jar me out of the zone, and if they ask me what I was thinking about I can't tell them, bec ause the concept isn't tangible enough to put into words yet. It's like I'm looking for something but I don't know what it is until I find it, but when I do find it, Eureka!

Also, I think the characters I create are examples of Ni at play. Writing is a fantastic way for Ni to legitimately "have fun."

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What might appear like (collecting) garbage to others, can turn out rather useful when the spotlight goes on (when it all comes together). (Thanks to other functions)

Tim_Noble_Sue_Webster_shadow_sculpture_1-normal.jpg

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
What might appear like (collecting) garbage to others, can turn out rather useful when the spotlight goes on (when it all comes together). (Thanks to other functions)

Nice, I like this analogy. Miscellaneous shadow art boggles my mind a little.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
Here's an example of an Ni moment. I'm driving down the road thinking about an event that's happened when suddenly something else(recollection of another event or a tidbit of info) pops into my head and I have this sense of "oh, wow, I never saw that before!" And I realize that the two things are connected and then this whole big understanding opens up to me and I can see like an invisible network with tentacles and branches running into things that seem to have no relevance at all. Then suddenly, I start to remember things that I never knew I knew in the first place, things that I must have absorbed through osmosis or something.

Sometimes, the wheels will be turning so loudly in my mind that they drown out external sounds. When I do come back to the here and now and all the excitement in my mind quiets down, I realize what a noisy place my mind can be. Often, my greatest creations or endeavors are born through these moments. Other times, they lead me to solve preplexing issues on the job or in other places. Then people will say, "How'd you come up with that?" And that is a loaded question that they really don't want answered, but they don't know that they don't want it answered because it would require them to concentrate and really listen and even then, most won't get it, so I give a half-hearted answer like, it's just an idea I've been tinkering with. The truth is I didn't tinker with it. It sort of just popped into my head out of nowhere.

Anyone who happens to be with me when I have one of my little "zone outs" will likely ask me if I'm okay and jar me out of the zone, and if they ask me what I was thinking about I can't tell them, because the concept isn't tangible enough to put into words yet. It's like I'm looking for something but I don't know what it is until I find it, but when I do find it, Eureka!

Also, I think the characters I create are examples of Ni at play. Writing is a fantastic way for Ni to legitimately "have fun."

I worked as a dishwasher for several months and had so many moments like this. Repetitive, meditative tasks like driving or crocheting or washing dishes are great for that. My friends always seem put-off by my "daydreaming"... shame it's unacceptable to respond with "sorry, my mind was talking first."

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had an Ni moment the other day -
I was watching a fire with an ISTP friend and he asked me what I saw in the flames, to which I shot back "the ashes". That eerie, unexplainable sense of knowing something's ending just as you initiate its beginning.

In general, irrational and sometimes strange conclusions and predictions. Knowing how movies and TV shows end. Subconscious lyric interpretation is a big one for me personally. Listening to a song, sleeping, and waking up with an idea about its meaning.

What [MENTION=20385]Alea_iacta_est[/MENTION] said about playing out idealistic conversations inside the head...I do that ALL the time, without even realizing it.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2. In school, I learned things halfway through the teacher explaining them, as if I predicted there next words and examples. I would often softly whisper what I thought the teachers' next words would be about the subject, and I got it right like 2 out of 10 times for specifics and like 8 out of 10 times for general ideas.

3. I frequently envision what my life will be like in 5-10 years, and I can stay in these unfettered fantastical timelines for long periods of time somewhat uninterrupted by reality.
I can strongly relate.

I posted on a thread in the morning today before leaving for work and then kept enacting my post as a dialogue with my inner voice to see it makes sense over and over again on my way to work...It's weird... I think it's a Ni-Ti loop... During those times it sometimes manifests in my body language ...

It looks like this at those times:

Pretty much.

Opal

MBTI Type
ENTP
I had an Ni moment the other day -
I was watching a fire with an ISTP friend and he asked me what I saw in the flames, to which I shot back "the ashes". That eerie, unexplainable sense of knowing something's ending just as you initiate its beginning.

Ha, I love this. I give similarly morbid/insightful responses to innocuous questions fairly frequently.

That is exactly how it is!

It's so hard to explain to one who doesn't experience it. I can be genuinely interested in someone/something but my mind still fills lulls in conversation, which makes me come across as disinterested.

Unrelated to the thread topic, but others assuming they know how I feel and acting on those false assumptions is so infuriating.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
It's so hard to explain to one who doesn't experience it. I can be genuinely interested in someone/something but my mind still fills lulls in conversation, which makes me come across as disinterested.

Unrelated to the thread topic, but others assuming they know how I feel and acting on those false assumptions is so infuriating.

I have that happen so often that it's embarrassing!

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Anyone who happens to be with me when I have one of my little "zone outs" will likely ask me if I'm okay and jar me out of the zone, and if they ask me what I was thinking about I can't tell them, bec ause the concept isn't tangible enough to put into words yet. It's like I'm looking for something but I don't know what it is until I find it, but when I do find it, Eureka!

That happens to me dozens of times per day. I would agree that my writing is a form of play.
[MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]

Alea_iacta_est

I forgot about this:

Sometimes, when I'm contemplating a series of events created from one action, I will disconnect from reality in an incredible deep day dream where I will progress the scene in real-time and see where my actions lead me. The awesome part is when I reach something that I can't make a split second decision over in the real-time of the possibility convergence and I get stumped, and I question myself as to why I didn't plan for this (while still in the real-time), and then I snap back into material reality and realize that I am in the process of planning for that outcome already.

It sort of goes like "Shit, I didn't account for this; oh wait, I am doing that now."

Odi et Amo

To here knows when...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In Latin today, we were scanning lines of poetry (which is unbelievably mundane). I'd forgotten the rules for long vs short vowels I learned last year and slept through class the previous day when we were retaught them. But when we started them, I could just do them without thinking or trying to work through them logically. I was conceptualizing the sounds of each line as a string, shifting & vibrating as I was making different vowel sounds long and short, that I was trying to balance. It was really trippy.

Feline

Half these or more are probably not related to Ni, but it is possible that they are(in fact, this is me envisioning an argument that could possibly be made by [MENTION=15886]superunknown[/MENTION], who currently believes me to be a Te dominant, so that I can address a possible point he could make arguing that some of these aren't Ni, which I am sure he will most likely point out. I now have to plan in advance for this conversation when he finally reads this thread due to my mentioning of him, and this changes the conversation in my mind somewhat).

heeheeeheeee too funny