• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The artistic side of INTPs

Aleria

Generally, it isn't very explored in INTP descriptions, but I noticed that it's fairly common INTPs who have a developed artistic side. For example, I write, sing, play piano/ guitar/ keyboard/ flute and I'm majoring in Literature.

Other INTPs here who have a similar experience?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm a writer/world builder

I do cartooning and some digital art

I'm a good keyboardist, can play 4-5 instruments, and have composed various pieces for piano and/or vocals

I was an English major with focus on writing

... and, um... WELCOME to the forum. :)

21%

You have a choice!
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My INTP dad draws, composes, plays the guitar, a bit of keyboard, and sings :)

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music is my main outlet. The one area where I can really "feel"

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Music is my main outlet. The one area where I can really "feel"
What do you play - or do you compose/arrange?

My INTP is an engineer by profession, but has always written poetry, and has recently taken up woodcarving. His dad was quite good, and passed on a bunch of tools and wood pieces to him.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What do you play - or do you compose/arrange?

My INTP is an engineer by profession, but has always written poetry, and has recently taken up woodcarving. His dad was quite good, and passed on a bunch of tools and wood pieces to him.

I'm a factory drone by profession (although with the recent addition of a new CEO, I have a scheme in mind to propel myself up through the ranks)

I started out playing bass guitar at age 20. I took a few lessons, then decided it was easier to simply teach myself. I then began playing guitar, and I've dabbled in piano (keyboard, technically). I have no formal training. I have a very basic understanding of music theory, but I can't sight read. I do compose my own music (my secret ambition is to be a score composer for small independent films) and if I really wanted to, I could probably write it out on a staff, but it's a skill I haven't taken the time to develop.

I dabbled in poetry writing in high school, but it wasn't really very good. I can draw and sketch well but if I focus, but it's not something I am particularly interested in pursuing

birdseye

MBTI Type
INTP
I enjoy all kinds of visual arts and it seems to be the one thing I am fairly good at. I think I might also have potential to do music, but I never had a chance to really explore that or learn to play instruments. That is something I really want to learn.

HannahMarie

MBTI Type
INTP
I've heard that it's common for INTPs to use music and art as an outlet for the feelings that we don't necessarily (want to) understand. I'm an english education major with a music minor, and I studied art all throughout high school. INTP.org provides a very comprehensive analysis of the type. Here's an excerpt regarding our affinity for music:
"Another area of interest common to INTPs, where Si has a strong influence, is Music. INTPs are usually fascinated by music and may have deep and wide-ranging tastes. Indeed, each of their three main functions (Ti, Ne, Si) plays a role in the enjoyment of music, and indeed music is a key interest for bringing out the feeling shadow of the INTP. Si itself brings a fascination for mood and atmosphere in music as well as for a strong sense of personal nostalgia. INTPs are therefore often keen on melancolic minor-key music in which an introspective and/or esoteric mood is conveyed. Equally, INTPs enjoy hearing music that they heard and enjoyed when younger (provided they can still appreciate it now) and yearn for the sense of nostalgia that it yields. INTPs are also drawn to complexly structured music, thanks to their Ti core. An appreciation of modern classical music, as well as perhaps contemporary jazz, is therefore common with them. Such music types are usually too complex to be understood after a single hearing, which hence provides excellent material for analysis, exciting the INTP no end. Once the basic developmental structure of the music has been assessed, Ne provides the impetus to derive a general meaning of the piece. What does the composer wish to convey, for example? Why was that particular development chosen? Indeed, the Ne is usually hard at work during listening sessions, trying to grasp the meanings behind the often fascinating combinations of sound-world evocations, structural developments and nostalgic impressions."

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
My favorite INTP is a great guitar player. He told me once that if a song makes him feel something other than hatred for noise, it's a good song lol

fghw

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
My favorite INTP is a great guitar player. He told me once that if a song makes him feel something other than hatred for noise, it's a good song lol

This applies to me... minus the guitar player thing.

I do enjoy singing and would say I'm pretty good at it. Occasionally bursts of creativity shoot through me on sleepless nights, usually resulting in writing half-assed yet catchy songs. I don't really play anything but if I have a tune in my head I can figure out how to play it on pretty much any instrument.

I don't really have any artistic skills or training, but if its in my head, I can make it.

sexygamer

INTP friend; comic book artist, musician, writer (of three books) has never shown anyone 95% of his work and the other 5% only a few people have seen.

It's pretty common for INTPs to use music to deal with feelings they don't/don't want to understand like a previous poster said as well as using their internal force of logic to make art that makes sense to them.

ginniebean

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I enjoy writing, putting words together is an artful expression. I write poetry and love all kinds of music.

I don't use music to deal with my feelings particularly. I am very aware that music is often an emotional expression. There are times when a piece of music can near bring me to tears of release yet not if I smell that it is in any way manufactured to elicit a specific feeling. If there is an artistry in it and whatever emotion is experienced by the listener isn't one of manipulation then I thoroughly enjoy it. If it is formulaic, then while I can enjoy it to a very superficial extent it doesn't move me.

Kullervo

Permabanned
MBTI Type
N/A
Yeah, I have noticed this with my best friend, who I am pretty sure is an 5w4 INTP. He plays the guitar really well and has interests in ancient Germanic culture and folk music.

INTPs may be weirdos :D but having a Ne-Si combination is pretty awesome for creative exploits of any sort is concerned.