• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] What Does an Unhealthy INTP Look Like?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Similar threads exist regarding other types but I couldn't find anything relating to unhealthy INTPs. I know what I am like in an unhealthy state, but I am curious to learn how other INTPs might act and appear when in unhealthy states of being.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My SO is INTP, and sometimes he gets into these odd moods where he acts negatively ISTJ-ish. In other words, he tries to micromanage people into very strictly defined ways of doing things, because that's how they are done, or should be done, or how he has always done them. I've wondered if it's some kind of Ti-Si loop, where the internal logical structure taps directly into his repository of past experiences, without the fresh and innovative input of Ne. I have yet to find a gentle way to get him out of it.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My SO is INTP, and sometimes he gets into these odd moods where he acts negatively ISTJ-ish. In other words, he tries to micromanage people into very strictly defined ways of doing things, because that's how they are done, or should be done, or how he has always done them. I've wondered if it's some kind of Ti-Si loop, where the internal logical structure taps directly into his repository of past experiences, without the fresh and innovative input of Ne. I have yet to find a gentle way to get him out of it.

Unfortunately, this is accurate to my experience as well.

It usually happens under extreme stress or when I lack rest.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^^... yes... seen/experienced that as well. The logical interface of "how best to do something" rooted in past experience and past thought, but it's not allowing for unexperienced/potential input + not everything is always about the "most logical way" to approach something.

As a kind of mundane aside, I was this way with my eating habits where I tended to always eat the same thing because "I liked it the most." Rationally, then, it was the logical choice, right? So that's what I did. But after awhile as an adult I got sick of this and the lack of new experience and possibilities, and nowadays I actually will 50% of the time try something new, to expand my experience set and get more input of what's out there.

I think a lot of problems with unhealthy INTPs come from an over-reliance on "logic skills" coupled with an inadequate information base, especially in the realm of the interpersonal. When you just view people as "minds," you miss out on a lot of the human experience and thus a complete set of information.

rav3n

That's Si-Fe. Si in its must, duty, nitpickiness and Fe in its external people focus. IMO, Si acts like a repository for Fe social concepts of other people's behaviours.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Any advice on how to get an INTP out of this mindset without making matters worse?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Any advice on how to get an INTP out of this mindset without making matters worse?

Just tell him you think he's doing it. Offer a different perspective/reframe his situation to point to new information; aka dangle the Ne carrot.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

This is explains my dad, perfectly. I knew he was INTP, but often questioning. it's exetremly unhealthy

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp

This is explains my dad, perfectly. I knew he was INTP, but often questioning. it's exetremly unhealthy

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see plenty of mention of TiSi loops, but I've seen little in this thread on how Fe manifests in an unhealthy INTP. How might untempered inferior Fe lead to the infamous INTP emotional outburst when under stress? Or are such outbursts in fact a healthy and necessary part of the INTP experience?

I always feel awkward right after having an outburst, yet also strangely relieved. But such outbursts are often scary for people around me. :shrug:

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A good summary of what Ti-Si loops look like: http://pastebin.com/WzsWMHr8

That said, I am realizing I've been stuck in a loop for some time now. It comes and goes, but I think it explains my general state of apathy and melancholy in the face of what I often perceive to be a cruel and stupid world unworthy of my mind and talent. I just need to learn how to break free and bring my intuition back to the forefront. I need to stop thinking of myself as a Vulcan amidst Gorillas. That sort of thinking is unhealthy, and in the grand scheme of humanity and the universe, I am but a speck of dust...not even...smaller...I am a quark, I am a 0 in a sea of endless code.