• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Politically Correct

Lark

I will make brief summary for you on that issue with another album cover. :whistling:

Any collective that can combine world religions, communism, guns and dinner are alright by me :newwink:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I feel like taking pride in being politically incorrect is the refuge of the intellectually lazier sorts of NTs. Or one that's going through some stuff at the moment.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I feel like taking pride in being politically incorrect is the refuge of the intellectually lazier sorts of NTs. Or one that's going through some stuff at the moment.
How about those who simply don't worry about being politically incorrect?

Jaguar

The term political correctness is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense to members of particular groups in society. So, I'm supposed to avoid offending groups of INTPs?

Forget it, Vanderbeak.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
How about those who simply don't worry about being politically incorrect?

Starting from a purely practical point of view, it is frequently beneficial to devote at least some thought as to how one's message will be received, as well as of potential consequences.
I imagine, for instance, in a feudal system, it would be beneficial for those who were not members of the nobility to consider how they would address the ruling class who have powers and rights that they don't possess.

Another perspective could also see it as analogous to a form of politeness or civility, which can have a sort of moral or ethical value in some circumstances.

The term political correctness is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense to members of particular groups in society. So, I'm supposed to avoid offending groups of INTPs?

Yes. You wouldn't want to repress a cognitive function, would you? I remember a stink being made a while ago by some people about Te being repressed.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Starting from a purely practical point of view, it is frequently beneficial to devote at least some thought as to how one's message will be received, as well as of potential consequences.
I imagine, for instance, in a feudal system, it would be beneficial for those who were not members of the nobility to consider how they would address the ruling class who have powers and rights that they don't possess.

Another perspective could also see it as analogous to a form of politeness or civility, which can have a sort of moral or ethical value in some circumstances.
Neither of those is political correctness. The first is formal etiquette, the second is common courtesy.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Neither of those is political correctness. The first is formal etiquette, the second is common courtesy.

Well, what do you suppose people mean by not caring about political correctness? How is political correctness different from etiquette or courtesy?

Lark

Forget it, Vanderbeak.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm

What is more intellectually lazy: following the rules or designing outrageous content that will fire up the people ? (is this good or bad is another pair of shoes)

Well, if you watch from purely practical perspective then for those people the most practical long term option is evidently the overthrowing of such social class. Sure, you can smooth talk them to build up the element of surprise but that really isn't the point here.

Lark

What is more intellectually lazy: following the rules or designing outrageous content that will fire up the people ? (is this good or bad is another pair of shoes)

Well, if you watch from purely practical perspective then for those people the most practical long term option is evidently the overthrowing of such social class. Sure, you can smooth talk them to build up the element of surprise but that really isn't the point here.

You gotta smash tha troll farms!!!

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, what do you suppose people mean by not caring about political correctness? How is political correctness different from etiquette or courtesy?
Consider first that we have three distinct terms here. That suggests they are referring to three different things. The word "political" in political correctness should suggest how that one is different. Formal etiquette is just recognizing lines of authority, keeping social distance, and making ordinary interactions predictable so no one need waste time and effort figuring out what to do. Sure - there is a time and place to go against all that, and some of it is overblown and should just go, but that is another matter. Common courtesy governs more personal interactions, whether with your best friend, your colleague, or the clerk at the grocery store. Yes, it can include considering how that person will take what you say, but on a more personal level than political: are they having a bad day, or do they have a personal experience or history that might make your comment seem offensive? You are relating to the reality of who they are as an individual human. Neither of these whitewash the reality of things the way political correctness easily can. It is a step away from euphemisms, and often sacrifices accuracy for the assumed reaction of a broad group of people. IME, if someone does the first two - observes common courtesy, and when necessary, formal rules of etiquette (e.g. when appearing in court), that will take care of any offense unintentionally given through ignoring the third.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The term politically correct was used at least in past as self-satire even its early days and is typically just a pejorative nowadays. So the drive towards thinking more in terms of common courtesy (we all share a "basic humanity" and think about how you'd like to be treated on average, with knowledge that you feel like a legitimate person) and then formal etiquette (not at its worst, which is a form of control; but for what it was intended, as a way to generate kindness and fairness in an easily understandable fashion) makes sense.

I think where "politically correct" came into play is when these two things (compassion and social rules of conduct) broke down, leading to certain minority groups being abused by the majority within society. So then it became natural to try to push for understanding for these minority groups that were not being treated as equally as others, with the formal social conduct and compassion failing to function for certain groups. But this can lead to other imbalances.

(Note: I guess I should add too that culture is ever-changing, so behaviors/factors that might have been frowned on in the past now are accepted in some groups and not others, and so "politically correct" probably also is an attempt to compensate until the social etiquette and empathy adjusts with it. I mean, if the bumbled American Reconstruction after the Civil War hadn't undermined black integration/equality for many decades, then maybe political correctness wouldn't have sprung up in the latter half of the 20th century to compensate. If gay people as a generation hadn't been entirely blamed for AIDS and left to die in the 80's, politically correct language wouldn't have been [as] necessary. If trans people weren't consistently being vilified without warrant by certain cultural factions, then there wouldn't be a push for certain social language to combat this. If there wasn't a sexual abuse/harassment problem, there wouldn't be a #MeToo movement. And so on. Honestly, simple human empathy and social rules of how to treat people SHOULD have managed to equalize everything but have failed. People apparently have a really hard time understanding people outside of their own life understanding, and that's the most positive interpretation.)

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If in the first world a Mayor of major city says "I would be the best woman ever, I give to everybody!" what would be the likely consequences of that ?

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
Grammar Nazi's when being grammatically correct matters more than being politically correct.

AGameOfChance

MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Political correctness is such a stupid term

Don't censor yourself but don't go out of your way to be cunts to people either, this isn't that hard

EllevenSevenSounds

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NT
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] bringing tha tuf lurving to tha alt right kiddies.

Not this schtick again. Someone call in Moe and Larry.

- - - Updated - - -

The term politically correct was used at least in past as self-satire even its early days and is typically just a pejorative nowadays. So the drive towards thinking more in terms of common courtesy (we all share a "basic humanity" and think about how you'd like to be treated on average, with knowledge that you feel like a legitimate person) and then formal etiquette (not at its worst, which is a form of control; but for what it was intended, as a way to generate kindness and fairness in an easily understandable fashion) makes sense.

Where is there any proof of this? This seems like just some random thought that popped in your mind. We all share a "Basica humanity?" Do we really? Even John Wayne Gaycee? What about the guy who decapitated his mother and fucked her skull? Does he?

I think where "politically correct" came into play is when these two things (compassion and social rules of conduct) broke down, leading to certain minority groups being abused by the majority within society. So then it became natural to try to push for understanding for these minority groups that were not being treated as equally as others, with the formal social conduct and compassion failing to function for certain groups. But this can lead to other imbalances.
Minority groups are abused by other minority groups too, such as the rich African princesses that sold their conquered slaves into slavery to the white men. Define minority. What is a minority group? List all of them. Show exhaustive knowledge of the topic. Do genes decide it or ancestry? They are not one and the same. Please be cogent of the fact you are making gross generalizations.

(Note: I guess I should add too that culture is ever-changing, so behaviors/factors that might have been frowned on in the past now are accepted in some groups and not others, and so "politically correct" probably also is an attempt to compensate until the social etiquette and empathy adjusts with it. I mean, if the bumbled American Reconstruction after the Civil War hadn't undermined black integration/equality for many decades, then maybe political correctness wouldn't have sprung up in the latter half of the 20th century to compensate. If gay people as a generation hadn't been entirely blamed for AIDS and left to die in the 80's, politically correct language wouldn't have been [as] necessary. If trans people weren't consistently being vilified without warrant by certain cultural factions, then there wouldn't be a push for certain social language to combat this. If there wasn't a sexual abuse/harassment problem, there wouldn't be a #MeToo movement. And so on. Honestly, simple human empathy and social rules of how to treat people SHOULD have managed to equalize everything but have failed. People apparently have a really hard time understanding people outside of their own life understanding, and that's the most positive interpretation.)

Define culture. Why do you generalize and put all gay people into one culture? How did the civil war bumble black integration? It can't do things it is an event. It has no sentient consciousness. Who blaimed gays for aids in the 80's? I never met anyone that did that. Show proof this was a cultural phenomena. Prove the last three generalizations too. Also, Men are sexually harassed frequently. There is no equivalent metoo movement for men and they are sexually harassed. Therefore your argument is false. The metoo movement does not prove sexual harassment...sorry that is just piss poor logic.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Fuck politically correctness, that's just political demagogy to keep us away from truth freedom.