• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Politically Correct

Hermit of the Forest

Greetings humans • Hunting
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Did someone say party line?? :happy2:

tenor.gif

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Personally, I just try to not be a jerk. If that means being politically correct, it means being politically correct. :shrug:

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i give no fucks... i don't really go out of my way to offend nor to adhere to some code of acceptable speech... i think limiting speech limits thoughts and expression... if yelling cunt made my point faster i would do it... most of the time what i want to express doesn't offend people...

Norexan

Quetzalcoatl
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sp
No. Political correctness means manipulation of truth.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think political correctness literally serves no purpose, in exchange for coddling people from the reality of the evils of humanity. It does nothing but breed weakness. People should view offensive things like a vaccine, not a poison. If one cannot stand up to insults, slurs etc. Do you really expect them to have the grit to change the world?

Lark

I think political correctness literally serves no purpose, in exchange for coddling people from the reality of the evils of humanity. It does nothing but breed weakness. People should view offensive things like a vaccine, not a poison. If one cannot stand up to insults, slurs etc. Do you really expect them to have the grit to change the world?

Yeah, I think the whole True Grit thing is fucking ridiculous.

Being deliberately offensive and unmannerly isnt going to change anything, nothing at all, all it actually does is mark you out as a complete and utter ball bag that no one is going to have much time for.

Always be representing and always be aware that people will pass judgement on much, much more than just you and your individual conduct when you're making an impression, more like they'll be "everyone who believes X is like that" and address, approach or avoid people they identify that way on that basis.

The whole idea that being emotionally deadened, experiencing flat affect all the time, unmovable by praise or loathing etc. isnt any sort of stoic maturity, its some kind of disorder. Only equally disordered people are likely to be loving that and seeking to see it spread. That's not to say that the histrionics often held up as the only alternative are grand, they arent. I guess in part there's no need to contrast stupid extremes and believe they're the only options people have got. Its almost like the so called "lame stream" are never going to be like your online chat group or something :D :D

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I think the whole True Grit thing is fucking ridiculous.

Being deliberately offensive and unmannerly isnt going to change anything, nothing at all, all it actually does is mark you out as a complete and utter ball bag that no one is going to have much time for.

Always be representing and always be aware that people will pass judgement on much, much more than just you and your individual conduct when you're making an impression, more like they'll be "everyone who believes X is like that" and address, approach or avoid people they identify that way on that basis.

The whole idea that being emotionally deadened, experiencing flat affect all the time, unmovable by praise or loathing etc. isnt any sort of stoic maturity, its some kind of disorder. Only equally disordered people are likely to be loving that and seeking to see it spread. That's not to say that the histrionics often held up as the only alternative are grand, they arent. I guess in part there's no need to contrast stupid extremes and believe they're the only options people have got. Its almost like the so called "lame stream" are never going to be like your online chat group or something :D :D

My concept of grit isn't pretending to be a badass. It is along the lines of not giving up, no matter what stands in your path. No one can protect you better than you can yourself. Relying on outside sources for protection against the evils of the world is a bad idea in my opinion. Only you can truly help yourself in the end.

Who said anything about being deliberately offensive? I don't need the government to tell me who is an asshole. I think the community is perfectly capable of handling that on its own. I think the community is perfectly capable of punishing people too, through things like shame and humiliation.

My issue is everyone trying to get the government to solve their problems when they can just do it themselves. If you think allowing the government to censor anything, regardless of what it is is a good thing. That shows how naive you are.

I really have no idea what your talking about in the rest of your post, so I won't address it.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What is the difference between political correctness and common courtesy?

I am content if people observe actual correctness - is what they are saying real and true, along with utility - is there some constructive purpose to be served by saying it. Insults and slurs are neither a poison nor a vaccine. They are litter in the park, and while I can make use of the park in their presence, I prefer they be gone.

Lark

My concept of grit isn't pretending to be a badass. It is along the lines of not giving up, no matter what stands in your path. No one can protect you better than you can yourself. Relying on outside sources for protection against the evils of the world is a bad idea in my opinion. Only you can truly help yourself in the end.

Who said anything about being deliberately offensive? I don't need the government to tell me who is an asshole. I think the community is perfectly capable of handling that on its own. I think the community is perfectly capable of punishing people too, through things like shame and humiliation.

My issue is everyone trying to get the government to solve their problems when they can just do it themselves. If you think allowing the government to censor anything, regardless of what it is is a good thing. That shows how naive you are.

I really have no idea what your talking about in the rest of your post, so I won't address it.

Government *blah* government.

Whatever, your plain old shame and humiliation didnt work as a check on the sort of ideology emerging and festering online that's motivated people like that guy in NZ and about half a dozen similar types in the USA, maybe the "community" online is just different, who knows?

So, you know, if its not working I guess something else is needed, aye? Or maybe that's just naive?

Or maybe suggesting I'm naive for not agreeing with you is just your attempt to enforce your own political correctness. Good luck Chuck. ;)

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Government *blah* government.

Whatever, your plain old shame and humiliation didnt work as a check on the sort of ideology emerging and festering online that's motivated people like that guy in NZ and about half a dozen similar types in the USA, maybe the "community" online is just different, who knows?

So, you know, if its not working I guess something else is needed, aye? Or maybe that's just naive?

Or maybe suggesting I'm naive for not agreeing with you is just your attempt to enforce your own political correctness. Good luck Chuck. ;)

What ever floats your boat.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I am content if people observe actual correctness - is what they are saying real and true, along with utility - is there some constructive purpose to be served by saying it. Insults and slurs are neither a poison nor a vaccine. They are litter in the park, and while I can make use of the park in their presence, I prefer they be gone.

I don't think there is any real difference. Also, I was referring to being offended with the vaccine comment. Its better to have thick skin, than to ban insults etc. Sure it may allow for some offensive things to exist, but it also prevents certain types of government regulations from going anywhere. It is a double edged sword.

Earl Grey

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I was interested, but I actually had to google the definition since people keep throwing this term around nowadays.

If there is an indiscriminate tiptoeing that the issue is shoved under the rug and not addressed while any group, marginalized or not, take advantage of the unwarranted freedom it provides especially to a toxic degree that harms people not just on an individual, but more social level- which is what I understand what Political Correctness is- yeah, we should drop that. On the flip side of the coin, there is no reason whatsoever to throw insults and slurs in any discussion- especially slurs, because slurs a focus on the individual in specific and not on the issue itself.

If we can get to an agreement without exchanging unnecessary blows, that would be most ideal. Not everyone wants to speak in insults, be it due to their own sensitivities or be it simply because they see such a discussion as not as productive. It goes back to common courtesy, really. If you are unwilling to hold your tongue and speak to another person on the same level, you have no business telling them to just toughen up, you're just being a dick and not actually interested in any productive discussion.

Lark

Well, the problem is when the two are easily conflated, there are examples of political correctness in history, such as the Comissars in the USSR or some of the media strategies in the rest of the world, if you read the CIA manual on counterinsurgency which was used in Latin America it's got clear instructions to describe "friendly" forces as "fighters" or "freedom fighters" but "unfriendly" forces will always be described as "terrorists", "guerillas", "irregulars" or "criminals", you could say the UK broadcasting bans on irish republic politicians during the troubles were the same thing (they were circumvented by the media by employing actors to voice over their interviews).

The thing is that's different from what's being discussed which IS usually mannerly behaviour or conduct.

Sometimes I think that the constant protest about political correctness is just an attempt to impose a different sort of political correctness. Pretty Orwellian to use concern or outrage about freedom of speech in order to silence other people but there you go.

There is a sort of political correctness associated with the LGBT movement which is I think IS really insidious, because a lot of the time it seems to give people licence for the worst kind of behaviour, outbursts, violence, aggression, all explained away because people were offended and I DO think that's wrong. Mind you there's a lot that I think is wrong with that movement and a lot of its tributary movements, the fact alone that its so, so easy for even normally sympathetic or at least indifferent people to fall afoul of their complex outrages kind of tells all.

That's not the same as a bunch of bullshit about government, censorship and suggesting anyone who finds sectarianism, racism and bigotry a problem is just soft or some shite like that.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Anti-PC culture is simply political correctness for the right/conservatives. Sort of invalidates their bitching on the subject but they had to invent something to rail against and scream into the void about.

Lark

Anti-PC culture is simply political correctness for the right/conservatives. Sort of invalidates their bitching on the subject but they had to invent something to rail against and scream into the void about.

[MENTION=4050]ceecee[/MENTION] bringing tha tuf lurving to tha alt right kiddies.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
@ceecee bringing tha tuf lurving to tha alt right kiddies.

No. I'm talking about the people that proudly claim - I'm not politically correct - as if it's some kind of skill. What this actually means is - decency and civility are not something I'm going participate in and I don't have to. I have a champion and an entire group of people that share this opinion and there is safety in numbers, I'm not putting myself out there without backing.

The alt right have nothing to do with political correctness conversations.