User Tag List

First 1018192021 Last

Results 191 to 200 of 202

  1. #191
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    .

    The term political correctness is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offense to members of particular groups in society. So, I'm supposed to avoid offending groups of INTPs?

    Forget it, Vanderbeak.

  2. #192
    Digital ambition Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp
    Posts
    12,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    I feel like taking pride in being politically incorrect is the refuge of the intellectually lazier sorts of NTs. Or one that's going through some stuff at the moment.
    What is more intellectually lazy: following the rules or designing outrageous content that will fire up the people ? (is this good or bad is another pair of shoes)



    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post

    Starting from a purely practical point of view, it is frequently beneficial to devote at least some thought as to how one's message will be received, as well as of potential consequences.
    I imagine, for instance, in a feudal system, it would be beneficial for those who were not members of the nobility to consider how they would address the ruling class who have powers and rights that they don't possess.

    Well, if you watch from purely practical perspective then for those people the most practical long term option is evidently the overthrowing of such social class. Sure, you can smooth talk them to build up the element of surprise but that really isn't the point here.

  3. #193
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    27,665

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Virtual ghost View Post
    What is more intellectually lazy: following the rules or designing outrageous content that will fire up the people ? (is this good or bad is another pair of shoes)






    Well, if you watch from purely practical perspective then for those people the most practical long term option is evidently the overthrowing of such social class. Sure, you can smooth talk them to build up the element of surprise but that really isn't the point here.
    You gotta smash tha troll farms!!!


  4. #194
    Liberator Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    24,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Well, what do you suppose people mean by not caring about political correctness? How is political correctness different from etiquette or courtesy?
    Consider first that we have three distinct terms here. That suggests they are referring to three different things. The word "political" in political correctness should suggest how that one is different. Formal etiquette is just recognizing lines of authority, keeping social distance, and making ordinary interactions predictable so no one need waste time and effort figuring out what to do. Sure - there is a time and place to go against all that, and some of it is overblown and should just go, but that is another matter. Common courtesy governs more personal interactions, whether with your best friend, your colleague, or the clerk at the grocery store. Yes, it can include considering how that person will take what you say, but on a more personal level than political: are they having a bad day, or do they have a personal experience or history that might make your comment seem offensive? You are relating to the reality of who they are as an individual human. Neither of these whitewash the reality of things the way political correctness easily can. It is a step away from euphemisms, and often sacrifices accuracy for the assumed reaction of a broad group of people. IME, if someone does the first two - observes common courtesy, and when necessary, formal rules of etiquette (e.g. when appearing in court), that will take care of any offense unintentionally given through ignoring the third.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  5. #195
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    43,878

    Default

    The term politically correct was used at least in past as self-satire even its early days and is typically just a pejorative nowadays. So the drive towards thinking more in terms of common courtesy (we all share a "basic humanity" and think about how you'd like to be treated on average, with knowledge that you feel like a legitimate person) and then formal etiquette (not at its worst, which is a form of control; but for what it was intended, as a way to generate kindness and fairness in an easily understandable fashion) makes sense.

    I think where "politically correct" came into play is when these two things (compassion and social rules of conduct) broke down, leading to certain minority groups being abused by the majority within society. So then it became natural to try to push for understanding for these minority groups that were not being treated as equally as others, with the formal social conduct and compassion failing to function for certain groups. But this can lead to other imbalances.

    (Note: I guess I should add too that culture is ever-changing, so behaviors/factors that might have been frowned on in the past now are accepted in some groups and not others, and so "politically correct" probably also is an attempt to compensate until the social etiquette and empathy adjusts with it. I mean, if the bumbled American Reconstruction after the Civil War hadn't undermined black integration/equality for many decades, then maybe political correctness wouldn't have sprung up in the latter half of the 20th century to compensate. If gay people as a generation hadn't been entirely blamed for AIDS and left to die in the 80's, politically correct language wouldn't have been [as] necessary. If trans people weren't consistently being vilified without warrant by certain cultural factions, then there wouldn't be a push for certain social language to combat this. If there wasn't a sexual abuse/harassment problem, there wouldn't be a #MeToo movement. And so on. Honestly, simple human empathy and social rules of how to treat people SHOULD have managed to equalize everything but have failed. People apparently have a really hard time understanding people outside of their own life understanding, and that's the most positive interpretation.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #196
    Digital ambition Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    iNTJ
    Enneagram
    513 so/sp
    Posts
    12,014

    Default

    If in the first world a Mayor of major city says "I would be the best woman ever, I give to everybody!" what would be the likely consequences of that ?

  7. #197
    Corrupted of Purpose... The Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    478 sp/sx
    Posts
    16,386

    Default


    Grammar Nazi's when being grammatically correct matters more than being politically correct.
    With all DUE respect,
    -The Cat.

    Master of the refrigerator towers.
    Guardian of the house.
    Walker across keys.
    He that consumeth Birds of the field.
    Keeper of the Secret Lore
    Knocker of things casually off shelves.
    Walker of the Twilight
    Great Cat Dragon Scourge of the Field creatures.
    Wrangler of Squirrels
    Negotiator with Owls.
    Taker of the Tunas
    Feaster of Fish


    "Lovely Titles"
    Likes EllevenSevenSounds liked this post

  8. #198
    Junior Member AGameOfChance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 so/sp
    Posts
    22

    Default

    Political correctness is such a stupid term

    Don't censor yourself but don't go out of your way to be cunts to people either, this isn't that hard

  9. #199
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    MBTI
    NT
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    @ceecee bringing tha tuf lurving to tha alt right kiddies.
    Not this schtick again. Someone call in Moe and Larry.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    The term politically correct was used at least in past as self-satire even its early days and is typically just a pejorative nowadays. So the drive towards thinking more in terms of common courtesy (we all share a "basic humanity" and think about how you'd like to be treated on average, with knowledge that you feel like a legitimate person) and then formal etiquette (not at its worst, which is a form of control; but for what it was intended, as a way to generate kindness and fairness in an easily understandable fashion) makes sense.
    Where is there any proof of this? This seems like just some random thought that popped in your mind. We all share a "Basica humanity?" Do we really? Even John Wayne Gaycee? What about the guy who decapitated his mother and fucked her skull? Does he?

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    I think where "politically correct" came into play is when these two things (compassion and social rules of conduct) broke down, leading to certain minority groups being abused by the majority within society. So then it became natural to try to push for understanding for these minority groups that were not being treated as equally as others, with the formal social conduct and compassion failing to function for certain groups. But this can lead to other imbalances.
    Minority groups are abused by other minority groups too, such as the rich African princesses that sold their conquered slaves into slavery to the white men. Define minority. What is a minority group? List all of them. Show exhaustive knowledge of the topic. Do genes decide it or ancestry? They are not one and the same. Please be cogent of the fact you are making gross generalizations.

    Quote Originally Posted by Totenkindly View Post
    (Note: I guess I should add too that culture is ever-changing, so behaviors/factors that might have been frowned on in the past now are accepted in some groups and not others, and so "politically correct" probably also is an attempt to compensate until the social etiquette and empathy adjusts with it. I mean, if the bumbled American Reconstruction after the Civil War hadn't undermined black integration/equality for many decades, then maybe political correctness wouldn't have sprung up in the latter half of the 20th century to compensate. If gay people as a generation hadn't been entirely blamed for AIDS and left to die in the 80's, politically correct language wouldn't have been [as] necessary. If trans people weren't consistently being vilified without warrant by certain cultural factions, then there wouldn't be a push for certain social language to combat this. If there wasn't a sexual abuse/harassment problem, there wouldn't be a #MeToo movement. And so on. Honestly, simple human empathy and social rules of how to treat people SHOULD have managed to equalize everything but have failed. People apparently have a really hard time understanding people outside of their own life understanding, and that's the most positive interpretation.)
    Define culture. Why do you generalize and put all gay people into one culture? How did the civil war bumble black integration? It can't do things it is an event. It has no sentient consciousness. Who blaimed gays for aids in the 80's? I never met anyone that did that. Show proof this was a cultural phenomena. Prove the last three generalizations too. Also, Men are sexually harassed frequently. There is no equivalent metoo movement for men and they are sexually harassed. Therefore your argument is false. The metoo movement does not prove sexual harassment...sorry that is just piss poor logic.

  10. #200
    Senior Member Non_xsense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    MBTI
    Fool
    Posts
    358

    Default

    Fuck politically correctness, that's just political demagogy to keep us away from truth freedom.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO