• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTP Logic and Openness

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've observed that some INTPs seem more nit-picky than others, and will have less tolerance for things out of touch with their own logic.

But other INTPs seem very open to all ideas and possible perspectives, considering everything and integrating each of the pieces together.

So I'm wondering, how do various INTPs relate to this subject; are some of them really more closed-minded, and others more universal?

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
If you want to convince an INTP about something, you just need to tell them the reasons for what you are trying to convince them on. If your "reasons" are not logical or are not morally acceptable, you wont get your message through. I dont think its so much about not being open, naturally the openness varies from person to person, but usually INTPs listen to what you say and then evaluate whether or not what you say makes sense. If you make sense and are able to point out some mistake that the INTP made in logic, then INTPs tend to be very open and glad that you made the argument and corrected their faulty view on that issue. But its also the case that when an INTP hears a contradiction said somewhere by another person, he can evaluate in a split second if that contradiction is too strong for the argument to have any chance to being logical. Im sure many other INTPs react like me and will almost feel physical pain listening to nonsensical shit, its like being forced to continue a calculation that you know has a mistake in the beginning and the answer cannot be right due to a mistake in the beginning.

I mean its like this; The aim is to calculate the tax free prices of two items that include taxes(of 24%) and then see how many euros the difference is in tax free price.

So you need to remove the 24% tax from lets say 85 euros and 129 euros. 85 euros would be 64,6 euros tax free and 129 euros would be 98,04 euros. So the difference between in the tax free prices would be 33,64 euros.

However if you make the mistake of multiplying with 0.86 instead of 0.76 to get the tax free price, the end result will be wrong, no matter how well your logic played after that mistake. This is the kind of stuff that INTPs are able to pick up in verbal arguments aswell and see whether or not the conclusion even can be correct or not. And if you multiply with 0.86 there is no reason for you to continue and an INTP will most likely let you know that.
Im not using math problem as an example because INTPs would think in math, we think in logic and math is a form of logic(or maybe i should say that its logic using symbols).

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just need to add that the technical example is actually wrong, if the tax was 24%. the tax free price would be 68.55 (68.548387096774193548387096774194) and 104.03 (104.03225806451612903225806451613) euros respectively.

I wonder sometimes how well developed their Fe is and if they run their morals by it. Hence the reasoning/morals.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
Im sure many other INTPs react like me and will almost feel physical pain listening to nonsensical shit, its like being forced to continue a calculation that you know has a mistake in the beginning and the answer cannot be right due to a mistake in the beginning.

Feel ya on that one, brother.

Purely speculation, since it's a bit tough to see the forest through the trees, but when someone starts talking to me-- from the moment I can conceive of what they are getting at (usually almost immediately) I judge whether or not what they are saying is logically sound in 'big box' universal sense, based on perceived motive. WRONG- your motivations are material gain and a petty waste of time. WRONG- your motivations are rooted in self justification and you're too blind to be perceiving much truth, statistically. WRONG- this obviously stems from a personal prejudice and has no empirical grounds.

Now, depending on how interested I am in the person, what they're talking about, or even just the prospect of gathering some novel data, I'll mentally stick around without completely dismissing them, and continue unpacking box within box within box, until I can find at least some context wherein there's a bit of sound logic to pat them on the head for. OK, your motives are all wrong, but yes, I suppose this tiny box of logical problem solving would solve this small aspect of your very inane problem. Good job. :nice:

But that's just the way of the P-- judge first, perceive second; start with the most likely model, and give it room to modify itself. I wonder if some INTPs just don't bother. I can see how they might come off as closed.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Just need to add that the technical example is actually wrong, if the tax was 24%. the tax free price would be 68.55 (68.548387096774193548387096774194) and 104.03 (104.03225806451612903225806451613) euros respectively.

I wonder sometimes how well developed their Fe is and if they run their morals by it. Hence the reasoning/morals.

Ah yea, i accidentally tried to use this method of calculation that i was forced to learn recently(or i knew it before, but didnt remember exactly how to do it) instead the normal way i used to do this sort of calculation and ofc i remembered the new way incorrectly :D

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah yea, i accidentally tried to use this method of calculation that i was forced to learn recently(or i knew it before, but didnt remember exactly how to do it) instead the normal way i used to do this sort of calculation and ofc i remembered the new way incorrectly :D

:D

I think I understand INTPs better. I also like the way INTPs goes into depth of explaining a subject. Usually also correcting syntax. Something that I admire about them.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
:D

I think I understand INTPs better. I also like the way INTPs goes into depth of explaining a subject. Usually also correcting syntax. Something that I admire about them.

Yes, it can be very well explained. But sometimes other types are needed to make it more understandable to those with other kinds of mindsets. Heck, some stuff INTPs say I understand very well, and others I don't really understand at all, at least not instinctively. Like I've said before, I many times prefer to read content by INTJs, as what they say seems to have a better flow and backing.