• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs = the movie ruiners (Warning: this is a rant)

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
One of my roommates, as well as my brother are both INTJs. I legitimately think I just need to stop watching movies with them, or I might kill them. They are incapable of watching anything without absolutely picking it apart after wards. It drives me crazy! I love a good discussion, and do find myself complaining about aspects of movies. But good grief! Just let yourself enjoy something for once instead of finding every single damn thing wrong with it!

Okay... I'm done now. My INTP friend does this a bit also, but not nearly as much.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
One of my roommates, as well as my brother are both INTJs. I legitimately think I just need to stop watching movies with them, or I might kill them. They are incapable of watching anything without absolutely picking it apart after wards. It drives me crazy! I love a good discussion, and do find myself complaining about aspects of movies. But good grief! Just let yourself enjoy something for once instead of finding every single damn thing wrong with it!

Okay... I'm done now. My INTP friend does this a bit also, but not nearly as much.

Lemme guess, they're in their early 20s?

Give them another shot around 30. Their inferior Se will have kicked in and suddenly you'll be baffled by the fact that they can be so easily amused by the stupidest crap ever :shock:

Showbread

climb on
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Lemme guess, they're in their early 20s?

Give them another shot around 30. Their inferior Se will have kicked in and suddenly you'll be baffled by the fact that they can be so easily amused by the stupidest crap ever :shock:

Yep, early twenties. My brother is still in his late teens.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I can enjoy siliiness and pick it apart at the same time. Those things frequently are one and the same. :)

V

violaine

:laugh: My INTJ does this too. He just cannot suspend his disbelief. I find it hilarious to watch his mind ticking over. I have a look that I shoot him when it gets to be too much.

It was pretty rough when we first started to watch movies together - so much pressure to pick something faultless instead of just jumping in and going to see a movie for the hell of it!

V

violaine

Oh, he loves the absurd though. He watched a ton of MST3K when he was growing up and I think that intensified his tendency to pick a lot of movies to pieces.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
but I like movies.

A

Anew Leaf

My INTJ ex was impossible to watch movies with because even when he was silent, the waves of disapproving would roll off of him to where I would snap and yell "AMGS WHAT IS IT YOU HATE ABOUT THIS?!" And he would look at me very mildly and say "Do you *Really* have your heart set on loving this movie?" And would then proceed to point out how dumb this was or that was or how there was no "meaning" to x gesture, etc.

Now that he is in his 30's he has "mellowed" into loving movies that I don't even understand how he finds them funny. And the tables are turned a bit where I am like, you REALLY think this has merit?

It's actually pretty fun.... now. :laugh:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Like some have said, sometimes the behavior occurs earlier in life but eventually as we get more rounded, we desire to take other approaches and thus we don't tear things apart anymore. (I've experienced this in my life; I remember being a kid and picking everything apart at least to myself, but nowadays I'm capable of finding other types of value in things if the value is there...)

Also, maybe they enjoy picking it apart -- it pleases them on some level. So they are not going to stop doing it just because you dislike it. For some people, it's just fun.

Finally, it's not really a choice sometimes. I know there are movies for example that I cannot enjoy even if I'd like to because the types of problems with them are the types of problems that really bothers me. (I'd like to enjoy more rom-coms or movies like "What Dreams May Come," for example, but ... there are just things in those movies that really annoy me and make it hard to enjoy them.) Maybe that will change over time, but the only way to not be irked is to just not watch them.

If they're tearing apart movies, of course, that you're trying to enjoy, and actively disrupting the viewing, they can at least choose to be polite or maybe you can all pick movies that you can watch more easily together (or you can choose to watch it without them around).

Now that he is in his 30's he has "mellowed" into loving movies that I don't even understand how he finds them funny. And the tables are turned a bit where I am like, you REALLY think this has merit?

It's actually pretty fun.... now. :laugh:

:D

A

Anew Leaf

Like some have said, sometimes the behavior occurs earlier in life but eventually as we get more rounded, we desire to take other approaches and thus we don't tear things apart anymore. (I've experienced this in my life; I remember being a kid and picking everything apart at least to myself, but nowadays I'm capable of finding other types of value in things if the value is there...)

Also, maybe they enjoy picking it apart -- it pleases them on some level. So they are not going to stop doing it just because you dislike it. For some people, it's just fun.

Finally, it's not really a choice sometimes. I know there are movies for example that I cannot enjoy even if I'd like to because the types of problems with them are the types of problems that really bothers me. (I'd like to enjoy more rom-coms or movies like "What Dreams May Come," for example, but ... there are just things in those movies that really annoy me and make it hard to enjoy them.) Maybe that will change over time, but the only way to not be irked is to just not watch them.

If they're tearing apart movies, of course, that you're trying to enjoy, and actively disrupting the viewing, they can at least choose to be polite or maybe you can all pick movies that you can watch more easily together (or you can choose to watch it without them around).

I recently watched World War Z, and had a moment of Ti when I realized that there was no way a C130 plane could fly from east coast US to Korea without stopping to refuel. (My dad flew them.) I was annoyed the rest of the movie and at the end decided to text my dad to verify if my thought was correct. He confirmed it and this gem exchange occurred:

Me: That's that I thought. Sad that that bothered me but the fact that the movie had zombies in it didn't.
Dad: [lots of details about how the plane could have been flown to get close to SK without refueling] It is sad to me that you did not object to the z.

---

And then I watched Tangled with an ENTP friend of mine who is the WORST person to EVER watch a movie because he cannot help himself from talking constantly. He's an engineer and was frustrated at how "cartoon physics" doesn't work like real physics. And then at the end was baffled at where the blond chick disappeared to and who is this brunette?

Good times, Ti, good times. :laugh:

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I'm like that too and I'm an INTP. I'm nitpicky about some things but movies is not usually one of them. I've enjoyed most movies I've watched and I'm often baffled when some movie I love is ripped to shreads by others who see a million things wrong with it.

I know movies aren't reality nor do I expect it to be.

Movies allow temporary escape from reality.

They allow me to get more in touch with the feeling side of things- movies do not have to totally be logical all the time.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yep. Absolutely. They also have trouble NOT giving a movie away. I think they think they are being very "subtle" like "remember this part.....it's important," and then, just by that, they give the WHOLE movie away. I'm not stupid. Actually, if you measure intelligence by IQ, I'm smarter than you (talking to certain INTJs -- not YOU you). Thanks for giving away the movie that I was waiting to see for months!

Also, check out my little rant in the NT Personals. "It has it's gays" is, apparently, a good critique of American Horror Story JUST because there are more women than men in the show. It's rather immature.

AND the Te DURING the movie. That I ESPECIALLY love. "Dude. I'm watching a movie. I'm missing the movie because you are (wrongly) analyzing a small part of the movie. Explain what you want to explain AFTER the movie." I've seen movies before that I haven't actually watched b/c I was being talked to the entire time.

ALSO, some of them think they are brilliant and just aren't. The INTJ that I'm thinking about in this post (NT Personals rant INTJ) STILL talks about the first time he watched Shawshank Redemption with me (we were 19) and how he "knew what was going to happen" and how he's "so smart because he can pick up on nuances in a film." Dude. It's a GREAT movie, but the script is EXTREMELY simple. My 10 year old cousin knew what was going to happen.

If he watched an extremely abstract movie like Tree of Life (I LOVED this movie and LOVE picking it apart....it's just so rich with layers upon layers of meaning), he'd call it "stupid," which, interpreted, means "It was way over my head."

I share your frustrations.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doesn't ESFJs like action, simple minded type movies anyway?

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Doesn't ESFJs like action, simple minded type movies anyway?

I dunno. Are you demonstrating the stereotypical, cliched and flawed assumption that INTJs have sucky social skills for mind game fun?

Or perhaps their famed cliche assumption instead of fact based box technique? :coffee: :wink:

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I recently watched World War Z, and had a moment of Ti when I realized that there was no way a C130 plane could fly from east coast US to Korea without stopping to refuel.
ahem. A C-130 can do that without stopping to refuel.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I dunno. Are you demonstrating the stereotypical, cliched and flawed assumption that INTJs have sucky social skills for mind game fun?

Or perhaps their famed cliche assumption instead of fact based box technique? :coffee: :wink:

Talking from experience. I ask, what movie do you want to go watch? She says, World War Z. We go and watch it. She wasn't impressed much.

Later I switch on a comedy movie on the TV and she laughs her head off. But it was never something she would have picked out her self. But when I ask her, what movie do we go watch. Nope, it will be a action movie. :D

uhm, I might be demonstrating my sucky social skills :happy2: That other one might be over my head for now.