• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and compassion

Elaine

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Like I said in my previous thread, as a kid, I liked helping people. It was to such a degree that my helpfullness seemed both weird and funny to others( like I said, I was rather naive and socially unaccustomed at that time, since I didn' t go to kindergarden because of weak health) , no one how can I be so introverted and quiet, yet so protective of others. Even then I wasn' t the feely and outgoing type, but compassion was one of the feelings I felt more often. My ultimate goal I was ready to fight for was to help people. I even wanted to become a doctor one time so I could materialise my wish. While other girls were dreaming of princes and romance, my main roles in child games were a benevolent doctor and an independent space traveller who helps everyone and does heroic stuff( I didn' t need a prince or a hero who would save me, I wanted to save everyone myself) . Yet, some events in my life occured that made me understand that not everyone deserves help, and most people are rather ungrateful for your help. I tried to destroy this " helper syndrome" inside me, yet it couldn' t go away completely. Feeling isn' t my primary function of world perception, I prefer logic, and most of time I feel nothing, things seem too minor to feel something about them. Yet when something triggers my feeling, it' s really intense, like a volcano. And though I managed to make the compassion grow weaker, and I don' t feel it as much as I used to, but it' s not something I could completely erase from my personality. And though like I said, I' m not the feely type, I rarely feel something, and I managed to partially weaken it, it still remains one of my most often felt and most intense feelings. I don' t feel other feelings much, just this one is stuck in my head since early chilhood! Like, when I see a movie, I start pitying someone terrible, I put on the stoic mask I use for such situations, but inside I want to say " C' mon let me heal you, cheer you up and give you some tea! " ( Yeah, i know it sounds lame. Maybe the reason I feel it towards the fictional characters more often is because they' re not as bitchy as real life humans. ) . What I' m asking is that can it happen to a T, if so, how common is it? And how to deal with it?

W

WhoCares

Yet, some events in my life occured that made me understand that not everyone deserves help, and most people are rather ungrateful for your help.

The urge to assist is very strong in me also. Not so much from a gut feeling but because my drive for effectiveness and efficiency means I want to solve problems whenever I see it. What I learned in life though is that unless help is asked for it's often resented as interference. INTJs can come across as controlling and interfering if their help is not asked for. Not everyone thinks our solutions are the best ones (even if we think they are the most effective) and people do resent not being allowed to deal with their problems in their own ways. And they have every right to do so. I have to limit my urge to assist now to my own life and everyone around me is much happier for it.

I have discovered that people often find me intimidating, which blows my mind, since I know myself to be one of the least intimidating people around. But there's something about my look or vibe which just makes them defensive. So I never help now unless it's asked for.
My mother is an ENFP and she always feels under the gun when we are together. Even though I try not to even comment on anything and just congratulate her on her successes.

I think T types often have the urge to meddle, we can't help it. Our mind is set up to solve problems and it doesn't matter who's problems they are. Strong T orientation can run roughshod over the human factors involved because we can only see the end result of our fixes and have trouble understanding that the end does not justify the means, always.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] had a thread on a similar topic awhile ago which might be of interest.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
This thread and the one that Coriolis linked to, make me doubt my INFJ-ness. The deciding factor for me between the two was that I identified with the compassion and therefore believed I couldn't possibly be an INTJ but now...I'm not so sure. You girls have caused me to doubt my type.

This is me, too, I have discovered that people often find me intimidating, which blows my mind, since I know myself to be one of the least intimidating people around. But there's something about my look or vibe which just makes them defensive. Many people have told me that I am intimidating. I don't ever try to be or want to be. Yet, I get that from a lot of people.

G

Ginkgo

It doesn't seem like INTJs openly prioritize compassion all that often. If one feels it, I think they're more likely to express it in a very unorthodox way; I imagine resentment might build up more for them if those gestures are unrequited by a considerable number of people who don't see things the way they do.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People's well-being matters to me, but I don't always show it. People misunderstand INTJs in general in that way I think. It's not that they don't feel, it's just difficult to express it; it's repressed.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Even as an NT, I hate logic and largely act on whim.

Even then, I think I'm quite compassionate and will always lend a helping hand/comfort when required.

And yes, not everybody welcomes help or is grateful, but meh, people are of different temperaments or are self-serving, so it's just sometimes I understand about our grand species lol.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Even as an NT, I hate logic and largely act on whim.

Even then, I think I'm quite compassionate and will always lend a helping hand/comfort when required.

And yes, not everybody welcomes help or is grateful, but meh, people are of different temperaments or are self-serving, so it's just sometimes I understand about our grand species lol.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It doesn't seem like INTJs openly prioritize compassion all that often. If one feels it, I think they're more likely to express it in a very unorthodox way; I imagine resentment might build up more for them if those gestures are unrequited by a considerable number of people who don't see things the way they do.
I think we tend to express our compassion through actions rather than words or emotional expression. Moreover, when I act out of compassion, it is with no expectation of thanks or other return. I do it because I see a need and realize I am able to meet it. I am disappointed only when the person somehow doesn't reap the benefit of my actions.

G

Ginkgo

I think we tend to express our compassion through actions rather than words or emotional expression. Moreover, when I act out of compassion, it is with no expectation of thanks or other return. I do it because I see a need and realize I am able to meet it. I am disappointed only when the person somehow doesn't reap the benefit of my actions.

What if they willingly don't reap the benefit you intended?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What if they willingly don't reap the benefit you intended?
That happens sometimes, and is particularly frustrating since it is the aspect of the action over which I probably have the least control. If this becomes a pattern, I won't bother helping that person in future.

entpersonal

Fi - compassion
Fe - empathy

INFJs can therefore lack compassion (surprisingly) and INTJs can often lack empathy (unsurprisingly). You might see INFJs exercising "tough love" approaches.

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Fi - compassion
Fe - empathy

INFJs can therefore lack compassion (surprisingly) and INTJs can often lack empathy (unsurprisingly). You might see INFJs exercising "tough love" approaches.

Never thought about it like this, but this is extremely accurate.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In general, I think NTs are less selfish than people think.

Old Cheney

MBTI Type
INTJ
In general, I think NTs are less selfish than people think.
I think this is extremely true. I remember one day, I spent my lunch break changing a flat tire for some poor girl who didn't have a clue what she was doing. My boss was shocked that I would do something like that.

Every NT that I can recall ever having a good relationship with, I also remember as being among the kindest people and most loyal friends I've ever had. I think that maybe sometimes (perhaps because NTs in general are relatively rare, and many people may not have much experience interacting with them), people let the stereotype of a cold, robotic, heartless heap of rational behavior be their natural mental image of an NT.

Then again, it can also be hard to blame the people who think like that, because it's likely they think that way from having an unpleasant experience with one who was poorly developed. I'll be the first to admit that when an NT does go wrong, they can go very wrong.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Every NT that I can recall ever having a good relationship with, I also remember as being among the kindest people and most loyal friends I've ever had. I think that maybe sometimes (perhaps because NTs in general are relatively rare, and many people may not have much experience interacting with them), people let the stereotype of a cold, robotic, heartless heap of rational behavior be their natural mental image of an NT.
Being cold, robotic, and rational is not so bad if that robotic "programming" involves helping when you are in a position to do so. This is only partially facetious. I think part of the helpfulness of NTs is exactly this: that it comes from a motivation other than our personal feelings, and thus is more consistent.

entpersonal

Like I said in my previous thread, as a kid, I liked helping people. It was to such a degree that my helpfullness seemed both weird and funny to others( like I said, I was rather naive and socially unaccustomed at that time, since I didn' t go to kindergarden because of weak health) , no one how can I be so introverted and quiet, yet so protective of others. Even then I wasn' t the feely and outgoing type, but compassion was one of the feelings I felt more often. My ultimate goal I was ready to fight for was to help people. I even wanted to become a doctor one time so I could materialise my wish. While other girls were dreaming of princes and romance, my main roles in child games were a benevolent doctor and an independent space traveller who helps everyone and does heroic stuff( I didn' t need a prince or a hero who would save me, I wanted to save everyone myself) . Yet, some events in my life occured that made me understand that not everyone deserves help, and most people are rather ungrateful for your help. I tried to destroy this " helper syndrome" inside me, yet it couldn' t go away completely. Feeling isn' t my primary function of world perception, I prefer logic, and most of time I feel nothing, things seem too minor to feel something about them. Yet when something triggers my feeling, it' s really intense, like a volcano. And though I managed to make the compassion grow weaker, and I don' t feel it as much as I used to, but it' s not something I could completely erase from my personality. And though like I said, I' m not the feely type, I rarely feel something, and I managed to partially weaken it, it still remains one of my most often felt and most intense feelings. I don' t feel other feelings much, just this one is stuck in my head since early chilhood! Like, when I see a movie, I start pitying someone terrible, I put on the stoic mask I use for such situations, but inside I want to say " C' mon let me heal you, cheer you up and give you some tea! " ( Yeah, i know it sounds lame. Maybe the reason I feel it towards the fictional characters more often is because they' re not as bitchy as real life humans. ) . What I' m asking is that can it happen to a T, if so, how common is it? And how to deal with it?

Are you sure you're not 1w2 in enneagram. I know NTs hate that 2 wing. What can ya do? :shrug:

á´…eparted

passages
For years and years I thought I was INFJ, but I realised I wasn't some time last year and confirmed it recently. I am still in the process of "rediscovering" my type, but I am starting to think the most likely candidate is INTJ at the end of the day. It will take time to nail it down but I am trying it on for size.

I had a similar experience as the OP as a child. Naturally compassionate. However, I was only compassionate towards certain people, I was quite choosy. I had to like them for my own reasons. My mother is an INFJ and did an amazing job raising me as a child (not perfect, but who is). One of the things she really really pressed into me was to care for others, and be kind. I was (am) naturally pretty sensitive, so it wasn't too hard. I emulated her so much that I thought I was an INFP up until around 16, then INFJ up until 23. Mostly because that is who I wanted to be. I loathed others who were intentionally mean or harsh, and also wore some pretty heavy rose colored glasses too, and I faslely equated it with T types. Low self esteem and spiritual beliefs held me back from being my natural self.

Ultimately though, the vast majority of my empathy towards others is learned. It was instilled in me from early aged so it stuck and I got good at it. I don't truly feel much empathy towards others unless I have directly experienced what they have in some form. Otherwise it is completely cognitive and I am pretty good at it, and can flip it off like a switch if I want to.

I definitely think INTJ's can be compassionate, and are naturally so. I've seen plenty that were, and I have seen others who weren't. At the end of the day any type can have compassion. It's just all a matter of how it is applied and used.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I definitely think INTJ's can be compassionate, and are naturally so. I've seen plenty that were, and I have seen others who weren't. At the end of the day any type can have compassion. It's just all a matter of how it is applied and used.
I think we can have a keen sense of unfairness and injustice, especially when it makes no logical sense, as with gratuitous cruelty or meanness. or even the imposition of one-size-fits-all rules and procedures.