• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Embarrassed by Displays of Emotion?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
It's pudgy with nubbly limbs, yet seems sad. Win.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Hmmm...are you an INFP in denial, Orangey? :D

I could be. But why do you say that?

Edit: Oh, nevermind, I get it lol. But no, I found him on a Google image search using the keyword "blah". It's the first one that comes up. He's more cute than sad, I think.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
You know, now that I've scrutinised it more closely, the darker colour on its belly does give it a breast-like air. But still. Colmena must be of the male persuasion. :p

redacted

I am pretty sure this topic has come up before, but as I am lazy and the forum search tool gives me the same results when I type in "shit" as when I type in "emotion", I think it is safe for me to go ahead and post this.

Are you embarrassed by open displays of emotion?

I personally recall one situation where two people in class were arguing (about what I don't recall, probably a political topic), and the one became angry and said something nasty to the other, resulting in both being teary eyed and agitated by the time they had done. My reaction to their emotional displays was the same the whole time- I was cringing with embarrassment for the both of them. I don't really know why...most of the people around me didn't seem embarrassed, and the interlocutors were perfectly fine with it, even afterwards. I notice that this is a pattern in my behavior.

Is anyone else this way? It seems like something that might be attributed to "T" behavior in theory, but I'm not really certain, especially given that embarrassment is itself an emotional reaction.

that's Fe.

i'm almost always embarrassed (they look so pathetic to me that i feel like i'm seeing them naked or something...) by other people's display of emotion. for this reason, i barely ever show much emotion on my face, even to events that would cause loud reactions for most people.

definitely a huge issue for me. since i'm so aware of and react so strongly to people's emotions, i have an unconscious assumption that everyone views me like i would view them. so i'm overly careful about how i'm being perceived by others because i pay so much attention to them.

heart

heart on fire
Are you embarrassed by open displays of emotion?

Sometimes yes, especially if I don't know the person. The closer the person is to me, the more I can tolerate heavy emotionalism from them. I hate when people I am not close to come on strong with showy emotion. I can't deal with rage in them either.

If someone I am not close to rages on me, forget it, I am never letting that person near.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Sometimes yes, especially if I don't know the person. The closer the person is to me, the more I can tolerate heavy emotionalism from them. I hate when people I am not close to come on strong with showy emotion. I can't deal with rage in them either.

If someone I am not close to rages on me, forget it, I am never letting that person near.

Agreed. If I don't know you and you feel okay with having a big emo breakdown or a big rage in front of me, that makes me extremely uncomfortable, and a wee bit scared of you. B/c it's one thing to emote in front of your closest friends and family members. But if you can't control it enough to tone it down in front of strangers, that doesn't speak well for your impulse control. I don't like people who are incapable of controlling themselves. It also implies extreme self-involvement.

I had a former acquaintance that would vent to me pretty often, and he would just BLOW UP, reinacting things that would happen to him at work, and even though I knew it wasn't directed at me, the intensity of his emotions and anger in recalling it always made me uncomfortable. What's weird, though, is that I think he was controlling it, but he was sort of showing off with his rage. Very strange.

I don't mind crying, etc, unless the person does it every time you turn around. Excessive displays of emotion make me suspect a person is using emotions to get attention or sympathy.

heart

heart on fire
I don't like people who are incapable of controlling themselves.

I agree. I don't have limitless tolerance for people close to me if they routinely lose control, I will distance myself.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I would say, generally speaking, I tend to be sensitive to, and easily affected by, other people's displays of emotion.

I am least perturbed by overt displays of anger, love, passion, excitement and happiness. When I witness these emotional displays, I become very alert and engaged, interested and connected.

Whereas sadness, contempt, bitterness, rage, and misery happen to be incredibly difficult for me to witness in other people. When I witness contempt and bitterness in others, I become grossed out and full of disdain. Perhaps because I happen to view these two emotions as being both the ugliest as well as the most potentially destructive kinds. Yucky, me no likey one bit.

If I view someone in a fit of rage, I become frightened. Rage, especially when and if exhibited by men, elicits fear in me.

Sadness and misery are difficult for me to bear witness to because I'm incredibly sensitive to these emotions having felt them plenty of times myself.

On a side note, when someone looks, acts or seems lonely, that fucking kills me, and I mean absolutely kills me inside.

I think it is safe to say that I am *never* embarrassed by other's displays of emotion.

People's embarrassing actions and, or statements, however, can and do elicit plenty o' feelings of embarrassment from me. When someone is acting like a complete and utter idiot, I tend to feel embarrassed for them.

Last edited:

sriv

MBTI Type
JIxT
I always tend to think there is some sort of ulterior motive. Which is usually flat out wrong.

MerkW

In terms of others, I am not so much embarrassed as I am disturbed, baffled, annoyed, (perhaps even frightened), or a combination thereof.
In terms of myself, I can, indeed, be embarrassed about an obvious outward display of my emotions, which is further complicated by the fact that--seeing that embarrassment is, itself, an emotion--I may even grow embarrassed of my embarrassment, if said embarrassment is highly noticeable from an exterior standpoint.

On average, though, I tend to be very rarely embarrassed, perhaps due to the fact that I often have something of a hard time understanding embarrassment, or at least realizing its presence.

redacted

I think it is safe to say that I am *never* embarrassed by other's displays of emotion.

i find it interesting that we're on opposite ends of the spectrum here. i wonder if it's safe to make a generalization about Fe and Fi...

hmm.. an Fi person empathizes by comparing someone's feelings to their own internal standard, whereas an Fe person would compare someone's feelings to the current environment of feeling. so i guess an Fe person would be more likely to get a sense of "wrongness" if someone had a display of emotion "unfit" for the current environment.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
that's Fe.

i'm almost always embarrassed (they look so pathetic to me that i feel like i'm seeing them naked or something...) by other people's display of emotion. for this reason, i barely ever show much emotion on my face, even to events that would cause loud reactions for most people.

definitely a huge issue for me. since i'm so aware of and react so strongly to people's emotions, i have an unconscious assumption that everyone views me like i would view them. so i'm overly careful about how i'm being perceived by others because i pay so much attention to them.

Yeah, this is generally how I tend to feel in these types of situations. Perhaps it is Fe...that is supposedly my "shadow" function.

It doesn't really make a difference whether that person is close to me or not. I will be just as embarrassed (or more, even) if I know the person well because I am expecting them to control themselves. Someone I'm not familiar with presents a greater probability of acting in an unstable manner just by virtue of being strangers, and the more I expect someone to act that way, the less bothered I am by it. A close friend melting down in a debate would shock me more.

In terms of others, I am not so much embarrassed as I am disturbed, baffled, annoyed, (perhaps even frightened), or a combination thereof.
In terms of myself, I can, indeed, be embarrassed about an obvious outward display of my emotions, which is further complicated by the fact that--seeing that embarrassment is, itself, an emotion--I may even grow embarrassed of my embarrassment, if said embarrassment is highly noticeable from an exterior standpoint.

On average, though, I tend to be very rarely embarrassed, perhaps due to the fact that I often have something of a hard time understanding embarrassment, or at least realizing its presence.

Yes, my embarrassment usually embarrasses me further when I am aware of its presence. The bafflement usually accompanies the embarrassment, but I will only get annoyed if I predicted that the person would act that way in the first place.

I don't mind crying, etc, unless the person does it every time you turn around. Excessive displays of emotion make me suspect a person is using emotions to get attention or sympathy.

I always tend to think there is some sort of ulterior motive. Which is usually flat out wrong.

I sometimes get suspicious of this, but only if the person in question does this sort of thing all the time (like you said). I am, however, usually disgusted when I see other people comforting the upset person as though they had just suffered some horrible experience, regardless of whether that person was being unreasonable in the first place.

People's embarrassing actions and, or statements, however, can and do elicit plenty o' feelings of embarrassment from me. When someone is acting like a complete and utter idiot, I tend to feel embarrassed for them.

Well embarrassing actions and statements seem to frequently accompany embarrassing displays of emotion.