• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Senstive to smells.

napo_leon

I hate smells. My mother washed all my t-shirts and blouses with a new fabric softener which had a very strong scent. I was very annoyed with this incident and I was immediately called by my mother as a very idiosyncratic person. So this is my question? Is it common to all you fellow NT's, to be sensitive to scents?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have issues with them from time to time and when they bother me they REALLY bother me.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I probably have the opposite problem. Usually when someone says that something smells, it's rather faint and a non-issue with me. Also I can't seem to smell the preservatives in the cadaver lab unless I'm near a cadaver. Here's hoping I don't always smell like formaldehyde!

Do any of you guys like the smell of skunk? I think it's rather pleasant, but then again I've never smelled one up close.

napo_leon

I probably have the opposite problem. Usually when someone says that something smells, it's rather faint and a non-issue with me. Also I can't seem to smell the preservatives in the cadaver lab unless I'm near a cadaver. Here's hoping I don't always smell like formaldehyde!

Do any of you guys like the smell of skunk? I think it's rather pleasant, but then again I've never smelled one up close.

I don't find it that unpleasant as people want us to believe. I think that it's generally normal-stinky...

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hate smells. My mother washed all my t-shirts and blouses with a new fabric softener which had a very strong scent. I was very annoyed with this incident and I was immediately called by my mother as a very idiosyncratic person. So this is my question? Is it common to all you fellow NT's, to be sensitive to scents?

I can't see this being type related but for your information, I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to scents, at least not more than the average person.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Doubt its type related.

I'm never bothered by smells though.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
You probably are sensitive to chemical smells. Your mother sounds like a pretty insensitive person if she judges you for not liking your clothes to smell like a mildly toxic air freshener.

I am sensitive to smells, they bother me greatly, if anything I have seen this correlate to SF types, not ENTP.

I especially hate strong chemical smells, and no they are not especially good for you. You probably have strong instincts or allergies. I can be woken up by smells, like perfume, bleach, or Lysol, if I am sleeping, I am intolerant of it.

Scientists say women have a stronger sense of smell than men.

Also if the sensory change bothers you more than the smell itself, that could mean you have more Si than you think, or it could even be Aspergers if it happens with most changes.

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Tell your mom there's a reason a lot of detergents are manufactured specifically "Fragrance Free" nowadays.

(No, I doubt it's related to type. I'm pretty sensitive to food smells [turn my stomach sometimes], chemical/perfumes [give me a headache/asthma attack].. it's more a human variation thing than a type-thing, imo).

napo_leon

You probably are sensitive to chemical smells. Your mother sounds like a pretty insensitive person if she judges you for not liking your clothes to smell like a mildly toxic air freshener.

I am sensitive to smells, they bother me greatly, if anything I have seen this correlate to SF types, not ENTP.

I especially hate strong chemical smells, and no they are not especially good for you. You probably have strong instincts or allergies. I can be woken up by smells, like perfume, bleach, or Lysol, if I am sleeping, I am intolerant of it.

Scientists say women have a stronger sense of smell than men.

Also if the sensory change bothers you more than the smell itself, that could mean you have more Si than you think, or it could even be Aspergers if it happens with most changes.

Well, I have chronic allergic rhinitis and yes I have to agree that what bothers me the most is the sensory change. The thing is that my sister, who is an ESFP, is fine with smells. For example, she loves perfumes and colognes while I hate them (I mean the very strong ones). But I think that my sensitivity to scents is because of my chronic allergic rhinitis.

napo_leon

Tell your mom there's a reason a lot of detergents are manufactured specifically "Fragrance Free" nowadays.

(No, I doubt it's related to type. I'm pretty sensitive to food smells [turn my stomach sometimes], chemical/perfumes [give me a headache/asthma attack].. it's more a human variation thing than a type-thing, imo).

Well I only have a problem with chemical/perfumes... no more, no less. :)

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Read up on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), I actually have it, annoying as a sorority girl carrying around a 4 pound dog in a pink rhinestone accented purse. I would be cautious of chemical exposure if in fact you do think you have it as increased or prolonged exposure will do nothing but make it worse. You're welcome to PM me for more information.

napo_leon

Read up on Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), I actually have it, annoying as a sorority girl carrying around a 4 pound dog in a pink rhinestone accented purse. I would be cautious of chemical exposure if in fact you do think you have it as increased or prolonged exposure will do nothing but make it worse. You're welcome to PM me for more information.

Thank you very much! :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

Maybe it's a HSP thing, which is unrelated to type.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Well, I have chronic allergic rhinitis and yes I have to agree that what bothers me the most is the sensory change. The thing is that my sister, who is an ESFP, is fine with smells. For example, she loves perfumes and colognes while I hate them (I mean the very strong ones). But I think that my sensitivity to scents is because of my chronic allergic rhinitis.

Yeah your rhinitis combined with Si is probably the culprit.

I love essential oils and natural scents (like cedar and pine, or the smell of fennel plants) and get scented candles, but I hate strong chemical smells, don't usually like stuff like synthetic air freshener, and am bothered by bad smells and strong chemical smells like bleach.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
off topic I guess, but I'm mostly sensitive to sound.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
off topic I guess, but I'm mostly sensitive to sound.

Same here. I'm far more sensitive to sound than I am to smells. I have a hard time tuning out certain background noises and sudden loud noises like thunder or banging, can scare the crap out of me.