• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] I Hate Board Games

Usehername

On a mission
They drive me nuts.

I realized this in depth on my gap year program, I knew this before from playing with my family, and I have learned that even when round a table full of some of my best friends (incidentally, but not purposefully all xNxx types) I can't hack it.

I just wish people would be more on top of the game and not hold it back. In effect, be more efficient players. And yes, I realize the paradox that the whole point is to enjoy your time with others.

I just can't hack it. I confessed this hatred to my eNFJ friend the other night when reflecting on our latest game of Settlers (with an INTP, INFP, ENFP) and she pretended to sympathize with me while really giggling on the inside.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
They drive me nuts.

I realized this in depth on my gap year program, I knew this before from playing with my family, and I have learned that even when round a table full of some of my best friends (incidentally, but not purposefully all xNxx types) I can't hack it.

I just wish people would be more on top of the game and not hold it back. In effect, be more efficient players. And yes, I realize the paradox that the whole point is to enjoy your time with others.

I just can't hack it. I confessed this hatred to my eNFJ friend the other night when reflecting on our latest game of Settlers (with an INTP, INFP, ENFP) and she pretended to sympathize with me while really giggling on the inside.

Perhaps you just haven't played the right games the right way. Me and my friends used to play Monopoly with massive amounts of deal making that went well beyond the actual rules. Have you ever played a game like Risk? Very strategic.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Maybe you just suck.

Wanna play Risk for money?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I love board games. Especially the ones I own everybody on like "The 90's game" but even the games I suck at are fun. Other great ones are Sorry, Clue, Milles Bornes, Scrabble, and of course, Chutes and Ladders. :D

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
I hate Monopoly because I never win.

I love competition. The only times I get annoyed with the people I'm playing with is when they get all dopey and unsure for some reason. I don't mind playing to have fun, but I can't stand defeatist attitudes and warm bodies. I especially don't like it when people play when they actually don't want to...what the hell.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I agree, except I refer to them as "bored games." :D

Risk, Diplomacy, and games like that are fun, but I can only tolerate/have time to play something like that about once every 2 years or so. :)

nemo

Enneagram
<3
It feels like a contrived way of spending time with people, so I tend not to play them for those purposes.

There are very few games I legitimately like, but my non-competitiveness keeps me from taking them seriously when I play with other people.

So yeah.

And on computer/video games, I like cooperative style games the best. But that's just me.

I don't really like board games either.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
I can see how playing board games (even strategic ones) would be boring without competitive people, but maybe the problem is just who you're playing with, rather than the game itself.

FallsPioneer

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mmm, yeah that's the ticket...I do like board games, but don't play them that often.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
For some reason, I would imagine that most people who forum, would also be inclined to enjoy board games.

They seem similar-ish to me.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Says who?

It seems as if you actually *do* like board games, but feel annoyed by the lack of competition that your peer group presents you with.

Lol,

Here is an example of a person who is hating the player, and not the game.

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I like board games, not traditional ones but group ones that are usually verbal/linguistic and very social by nature and are spontaneous. And that can also accomodate a lot of players.

1) Taboo
2) Scattergories
3) Moods

Fun! :D

The board game equivalent to Rock Band, DDR, or 'Singing Star'. You know, party games.

My ISTJ friend hosts semi-regular game nights. They would be accompanied by alcohol and appetizers and followed by a night at the club.

I think board games are a good way to get the evening rolling and get people to loosen up and socialize.

Otherwise --- no. I loathe Monopoly and (don't shoot me) Scrabble. I don't like chess or checkers especially much either. ESPECIALLY not in a party context.

I could nurse a beer while playing Connect 4 and having a random conversation with a friend, though.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Same here, CzeCze. There has to be a creative element. Competition isn't enough. Monopoly makes me want to pluck my eyes out with a spoon out of sheer boredom.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For some reason, I would imagine that most people who forum, would also be inclined to enjoy board games.

They seem similar-ish to me.
They are completely different for my experience, but that does raise an interesting point that many people approach social interaction as a game of sorts. There are advantages to thinking that way, but i just can't.

I don't enjoy board games, or any games for that matter. I experience them as arbitrary rules that can produce a kind of petty competition. It feels like running in circles and the group gets invested in declaring a "winner". I can't relax because rules, socializing, and competition are possibly the three things that wear me down the most. The closest i've come to enjoying a game is Pictionary. It's funny when people guess after someone draws only one line or when people draw something that looks silly, but even that game can come down to rules and competition. It is rare i will participate in any game, but i am content to just sit and watch the others play and get lost in my imagination and thoughts.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I like board games, not traditional ones but group ones that are usually verbal/linguistic and very social by nature and are spontaneous. And that can also accomodate a lot of players.

1) Taboo
2) Scattergories
3) Moods

Fun! :D

The board game equivalent to Rock Band, DDR, or 'Singing Star'. You know, party games.

My ISTJ friend hosts semi-regular game nights. They would be accompanied by alcohol and appetizers and followed by a night at the club.

I think board games are a good way to get the evening rolling and get people to loosen up and socialize.

Otherwise --- no. I loathe Monopoly and (don't shoot me) Scrabble. I don't like chess or checkers especially much either. ESPECIALLY not in a party context.

I could nurse a beer while playing Connect 4 and having a random conversation with a friend, though.

Ever got into RPG'ing? I think you'd have a lot of fun in an role playing heavy (rather than combat heavy) environment with 4 or 5 people.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
They drive me nuts.

You're looking for competition and playing with a bunch of NF's. :huh: Find some competitive players and board games are hella fun. My family usually plays for money when we get out a board game, so people don't mess around.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I prefer any kind of game over socializing for it's own sake, but there has to be some strategy or creativity involved. The thing I hate most about monopoly is that the only skill required is the ability to be a conniving and manipulating bastard when the players start trading property. I make a terrible salesman so I barely even try and hate everyone who does.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
It really bothers me when I play board games with people who don't care if they win or lose. It's not as if we have to rip each other's hair out (usually), but a lack of competitiveness makes it really not fun.

What I hate more is explaining the rules over and over and over to someone. :steam:

Usehername

On a mission
Says who?

It seems as if you actually *do* like board games, but feel annoyed by the lack of competition that your peer group presents you with.

Lol,

Here is an example of a person who is hating the player, and not the game.

No, they're all pretty competitive. I just want it to be more efficient to get it over with. (The only significant pause in the game was taken to get the ENFP and INFP to jump off the roof into the pool, which was an impressive feat and more interesting than the game.)