• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] New to Typology, What type am I VID!

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hi guys! Typing so many "what am I?" threads, I've decided just to make a video.

Things I meant to include:
-I love to cook
-I work out a lot, yoga and weight training, though not as much as I used to. When I see flab that I don't want, I work out.
-In stress, I rather eat very fatty foods or have no appetite at all. Also, I get very in my head and drink a lot.
-I am only confrontational to people that need to be confronted and I know also take confrontation well.
-Had a transformation of sorts in South Africa, made me want to help others, and allowed me to put myself in others' shoes.

Hate that I made a video.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Where is your face? It would be easier for me if you had a face;)LOL...about the long socks! At this point, though, really, all I have is N. I'm leaning toward INT?. Still, I wish you had a face. I feel safe that we can rule out Se as playing a major role in your cognitive functions.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Where is your face? It would be easier for me if you had a face;)LOL...about the long socks! At this point, though, really, all I have is N. I'm leaning toward INT?. Still, I wish you had a face. I feel safe that we can rule out Se as playing a major role in your cognitive functions.

Actually, I am going to go ahead and tell you that my first impression was INTJ. I may be proven wrong later, but that's my first inclination, hunch...Ni guess, whatever you want to call it.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Actually, I am going to go ahead and tell you that my first impression was INTJ. I may be proven wrong later, but that's my first inclination, hunch...Ni guess, whatever you want to call it.

It's funny you say that.

N is actually the thing that I thought I was the most certain of. My friends tell me that I'm DEFINITELY a Sensor. I don't know why. I look like a jock, I work out a lot, and I follow rules whereas I don't want to deal with the penalties, not because they are the rules (i.e. I get my work done on time so I don't get a 0, I only go about 10 above the speed limit so I don't get a ticket, that sort of thing).

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
[MENTION=20069]idkman24[/MENTION] I said I was going on a hunch, but something must be fueling the hunch, so let's break it down and try to discover what it is.

I was going by what you "told" me about yourself and by the way in which you told it. See, I don't think a true sensor would have been a sports klutz as a child. Although, I suppose an ISTJ could be a sports klutz. One of my closest friends, also my business partner, training partner, etc...he's my all around buddy, is an INTJ. As a child he was teased, picked on, etc. When he got to be a teenager, he decided it was going to stop. He as a sports klutz, too, so as you did with the weight lifting, he found another avenue, martial arts. INFJs and INTJs are notorious for never giving up when faced with obstacles, but simply finding another way to accomplish the goal. Whoever coined the phrase, "throwing in the towel" wasn't talking about Ni-dominants. There is no throwing in the towel, there is only finding a way around, over, under or through any obstacle in the way. I think that a strong Ni lends itself to great tenacity.

Another thing that makes me think INTJ is the hospital experience. You said, "I got the most work done, but they didn't see that." You talked about skipping steps, and finding better ways; that sounds very IN-J-like to me. Also, all of the ISTJs I know are very security minded. It would be rare for my ISTJ friends to look for the weirdest, most adventurous place they could think of and want to go there

Also, one more thing that leads me to lean toward IN-J is your hands, the way you move them when you talk. You use them to emphasize points, to be "exact". You don't have that "loose" feel to you that INFPs and INTPs have. You don't seem extroverted at all, but then again, I don't know you in real life and that's hard to tell from a video clip.

Oh, and one more thing, both my INTJ friend and I follow the rules, because it's hard to accomplish anything worthwhile when you're sitting in jail or having to spend all your extra money on speeding tickets, so that's a thin argument from your friends. Following rules that have negative consequences doesn't automatically make you an S. It just makes you sane. I follow most of the rules, too.
So, that leaves, in my mind, ISTJ, INTJ or INFJ and at this point I'm leaning toward INTJ.

W

WALMART

Pretty plain Ti-dom, in my eyes. Si/Ni types are both sticklers for "the correct method", don't let anyone tell you there's a difference between their concern in that regard. Your hospital story is what convinced me away from introverted irrationality and towards introverted rationality.

Would you say you are more habitually driven, or go with the flow?

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty plain Ti-dom, in my eyes. Si/Ni types are both sticklers for "the correct method", don't let anyone tell you there's a difference between their concern in that regard. Your hospital story is what convinced me away from introverted irrationality and towards introverted rationality.

Would you say you are more habitually driven, or go with the flow?

If I'm say, at work or at school, I'm definitely more habitually driven. I have things I need to get done, and I have a timeline I need to follow to get it done.

In terms of, say, vacation or hanging out with friends, unless there is something I REALLY want to do, I'm go with the flow.

People (and by people I mean my INFP best friend and my ENTP crush) have told me that I'm not strong on anything aside from Judging (xxxJ).

W

WALMART

If I'm say, at work or at school, I'm definitely more habitually driven. I have things I need to get done, and I have a timeline I need to follow to get it done.

In terms of, say, vacation or hanging out with friends, unless there is something I REALLY want to do, I'm go with the flow.

I'm pretty sure ISTP or INTP. INTP if you're sure on your 3w2 typing, and you seem socially affluent enough. Might be the beer.

I also kinda wondered Fi a little. The emotional/physical pain thing + the being perceived as highly detached.

Now we shall see what everyone else thinks.

Edit: Read your other thread, your friend is right - you don't "use" Si. It is far closer to a philosophical outlook than it is a rational process. That's why I don't understand Ni and "connecting the dots". That is a rational function at work.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm pretty sure ISTP or INTP. INTP if you're sure on your 3w2 typing, and you seem socially affluent enough. Might be the beer.

I also kinda wondered Fi a little. The emotional/physical pain thing + the being perceived as highly detached.

Now we shall see what everyone else thinks.

Edit: Read your other thread, your friend is right - you don't "use" Si. It is far closer to a philosophical outlook than it is a rational process. That's why I don't understand Ni and "connecting the dots". That is a rational function at work.

INTP is a reasonable guess, and I guess ISTP is too.

I'm socially affluent to a degree. I spend a LOT of time alone. If I go to a party, and I'm comfortable with the people there, The Charmer in me REALLY comes out. If I go to a random nightclub with a couple of friends, I kind of shrink in the corner, minding my own business.

I think Fi too, but I have Fe tendencies. I usually experience my own emotions when I feel like I failed someone or something. Otherwise, I tend to feel sad when others feel sad, and I HATE that I'm a sucker for sentimentality. Also, I easily feel if there is tension in a room or not. However, if someone is feeling sad and I think it's for a stupid reason, I pretty much try to convince them that there are worse things in the world OR I just leave the room and leave them to their own vices (if I'm not in the mood to sit down and comfort them).

I understand what you say about Si, but some things my friend says are ridiculous. When I think, I kind of look up to the sky OR focus my eyes into the distance (squinting). He claims both of these are Si, because I'm 'rolling my eyes back to my brain to find what I'm looking for filed away in a rolodex of information,' and 'trying to focus in on what information has worked in the past.' I have other friends who call this Ti. I think he just SO badly wants me to be a Sensor, honestly. I think it's an INFP thing (sort of an Ne devil's advocate, but also a desire to be right and cause some turmoil in the process).

W

WALMART

INTP is a reasonable guess, and I guess ISTP is too.

I'm socially affluent to a degree. I spend a LOT of time alone. If I go to a party, and I'm comfortable with the people there, The Charmer in me REALLY comes out. If I go to a random nightclub with a couple of friends, I kind of shrink in the corner, minding my own business.

I think Fi too, but I have Fe tendencies. I usually experience my own emotions when I feel like I failed someone or something. Otherwise, I tend to feel sad when others feel sad, and I HATE that I'm a sucker for sentimentality. Also, I easily feel if there is tension in a room or not. However, if someone is feeling sad and I think it's for a stupid reason, I pretty much try to convince them that there are worse things in the world OR I just leave the room and leave them to their own vices (if I'm not in the mood to sit down and comfort them).

Interesting. I think Fe, if I were to sum it up in one sentence, has 'ideal states of being' for the objective surrounding. This can be what leads to the charity and good-natured interpersonal tendency Fe is known for, but the primary thing to keep in mind is that when this type of character is present, the objective orientation to reality kind of goes out the window when logical inconsistency is presented. I think Jung was referencing the type of character in The Undiscovered Self when he said certain types were predisposed to "That doesn't happen in our house" type of thinking.

I understand what you say about Si, but some things my friend says are ridiculous. When I think, I kind of look up to the sky OR focus my eyes into the distance (squinting). He claims both of these are Si, because I'm 'rolling my eyes back to my brain to find what I'm looking for filed away in a rolodex of information,' and 'trying to focus in on what information has worked in the past.' I have other friends who call this Ti. I think he just SO badly wants me to be a Sensor, honestly. I think it's an INFP thing (sort of an Ne devil's advocate, but also a desire to be right and cause some turmoil in the process).

I've never cared much for those standards of typing, seems like a weird way to identify when so many other correlations are waiting to be made.

Si and Ti are pretty similar, sometimes I think Jung wrote them hand in hand (along with Se/Te, Ne/Fe, and Ni/Fi). The irrational attitude is essentially the character produced by the orientation to reality. Both are oriented subjectively to the objective nature of reality, but while Ti seeks to purely intellectualize the process of industry, Si/Ni embodies this industry itself and springboards outward from there. Introverted irrationality is a lot like culturing a Petri dish, while introverted rationality is a lot like studying them. Ti probably prefers the deadliest strains, Te is happy with them all.

Are you Buddhist or any similar denomination, by any chance?

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I think Fe, if I were to sum it up in one sentence, has 'ideal states of being' for the objective surrounding. This can be what leads to the charity and good-natured interpersonal tendency Fe is known for, but the primary thing to keep in mind is that when this type of character is present, the objective orientation to reality kind of goes out the window when logical inconsistency is presented. I think Jung was referencing the type of character in The Undiscovered Self when he said certain types were predisposed to "That doesn't happen in our house" type of thinking.

I've never cared much for those standards of typing, seems like a weird way to identify when so many other correlations are waiting to be made.

Si and Ti are pretty similar, sometimes I think Jung wrote them hand in hand (along with Se/Te, Ne/Fe, and Ni/Fi). The irrational attitude is essentially the character produced by the orientation to reality. Both are oriented subjectively to the objective nature of reality, but while Ti seeks to purely intellectualize the process of industry, Si/Ni embodies this industry itself and springboards outward from there. Introverted irrationality is a lot like culturing a Petri dish, while introverted rationality is a lot like studying them. Ti probably prefers the deadliest strains, Te is happy with them all.

Are you Buddhist or any similar denomination, by any chance?

I'm non-religious, with a belief in the mystical. I believe that there is a realm outside of logic. I think we, as people, can enter that realm, some more so than others. Call it 'heaven,' if you'd like, but I strongly doubt that there is an intelligent being there with superpowers. Somethings (such as 'love,' is what first comes to mind) cannot be properly defined with the language we have and with analysis and logic. I think when we love something more than we love ourselves, and this thing (or person) becomes part of our reason for living, it is then we reach a mystical state.

I think the closest thing to my belief in the mystical is Plato's Realm of the Ideal (what's outside of The Cave).

W

WALMART

I'm non-religious, with a belief in the mystical. I believe that there is a realm outside of logic. I think we, as people, can enter that realm, some more so than others. Call it 'heaven,' if you'd like, but I strongly doubt that there is an intelligent being there with superpowers. Somethings (such as 'love,' is what first comes to mind) cannot be properly defined with the language we have and with analysis and logic. I think when we love something more than we love ourselves, and this thing (or person) becomes part of our reason for living, it is then we reach a mystical state.

I think the closest thing to my belief in the mystical is Plato's Realm of the Ideal (what's outside of The Cave).

Hm. What function do you personally identify with the strongest, and for what reason?

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hm. What function do you personally identify with the strongest, and for what reason?

I don't know, really.

I think I find myself planning ahead. For instance, I am job searching right now. If I find a company I like, and decide "I think I could make it in this company," I'll look up apartments around the company, I'll research the city, I'll look up the culture, the whole 9.

Also, something I find myself doing often is having conversations with myself out loud. Sometimes to explain something, or sometimes I have conversations with people that I think I'm going to see in the future. For instance, if there is something I want to tell a friend, and I know we are going to hang out tomorrow, I pretend I'm having the conversation with him/her. When my "friend" talks, the response comes from inside my head. I envision this friend, and I envision them responding to me.

It's weird, I know.

I also only do this in private. In public, sometimes I catch myself talking to myself, but I can shut it off. For instance, I am in a parking lot parking my car, talking to myself, as soon as I open the door, the conversation is over (unless I decide to have it between me and my friend inside my head).

Much to the chagrin of my friends (reality this time), before they are done talking, I've already decided how I'm going to respond, and I pretty much know they are done with their thought, and however it ends is probably unimportant to what they said. This drives them crazy, I know, and it's awful of me, I know, but I hate when people talk for too long. Problem is, I expect them to be fully focused on me when I'm speaking.

My mom has told me pretty often in the past "my goodness, if I had to analyze every little thing like you, I'd drive myself crazy." She's an ISFP.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why did you post this in the NT forum, don't you think you're thumbing the scales a bit? I think you have weak Ti, your reasoning is all over the place, you lack focus.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why did you post this in the NT forum, don't you think you're thumbing the scales a bit? I think you have weak Ti, your reasoning is all over the place, you lack focus.

Is it though?

It's a bit scatter-brained, but I think the point is pretty obvious.

Do you this I'm an ISFJ, INFJ, ENFJ, or ESFJ then?

Or do you think I use more Te than Ti?

Admittedly, I posted in INTJ because I thought I was either INTJ or INTP, but I've heard VERY good cases for INFJ and even ESTP. My friends think I'm an ESTJ or ESFJ, but I really doubt I'm a Sensor. I think they are biased and want to play devil's advocate.

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Why not a sensor? If you use your 3rd and 4th functions a lot, you spend more time doing things your type isn't typically known for.

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why not a sensor? If you use your 3rd and 4th functions a lot, you spend more time doing things your type isn't typically known for.

I live in a Sensor dominated household. My dad is an ISTJ, and he and I ALWAYS argue. Arguments usually go like this:

Him: In my experience... so that means it's always going to be like....
Me: What?

Of course, that's a gross oversimplification.

Do you think I'm a Sensor?

Haven

Blind Guardian
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Well SJs maybe are more likely to make arguments from experience, so I'll try to avoid that, though experience does drive a lot of what I'm writing here.

I think you're an extraverted sensor of some kind.

Extraversion because you seem to have an outward focus in your writing and in your interaction here. Your writing is very much targeted at the reader, with how you include all of those side notes and external references. You pegged yourself as an introvert, but an extravert can be driven "inward" or "underground" and that might be the case with you.

Sensing because theory just seems disappointing to you. In your writing, you aren't really satisfied with theoretical answers:
Then, of course you have your smart-asses that'll answer "when dopamine...
...some people will answer something along the lines of "it's when you feel a strong connection between another person or thing...." yadda yadda yadda...
You also seem to have read about a few philosophers, but you seem more interested in the application of those philosophies, like the ideas they came up with are a tool for you to understand the world better. I think this is a sensory approach to philosophy because it's more "hands on."

All in all I think you just seem like a practical guy that can use philosophy as a guide and you don't get caught up in the theory because you want answers. You keep prodding me for what I think you are, and you want it right now, skip the theory just tell me.

It is possible that searching for this mystical side of reality is a sign of having introverted intuition as a 4th function.

My guess is ESTP for your type

idkman24

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well SJs maybe are more likely to make arguments from experience, so I'll try to avoid that, though experience does drive a lot of what I'm writing here.

I think you're an extraverted sensor of some kind.

Extraversion because you seem to have an outward focus in your writing and in your interaction here. Your writing is very much targeted at the reader, with how you include all of those side notes and external references. You pegged yourself as an introvert, but an extravert can be driven "inward" or "underground" and that might be the case with you.

Sensing because theory just seems disappointing to you. In your writing, you aren't really satisfied with theoretical answers:

You also seem to have read about a few philosophers, but you seem more interested in the application of those philosophies, like the ideas they came up with are a tool for you to understand the world better. I think this is a sensory approach to philosophy because it's more "hands on."

All in all I think you just seem like a practical guy that can use philosophy as a guide and you don't get caught up in the theory because you want answers. You keep prodding me for what I think you are, and you want it right now, skip the theory just tell me.

It is possible that searching for this mystical side of reality is a sign of having introverted intuition as a 4th function.

My guess is ESTP for your type

Ah... I just saw your type.

Those aren't theories you've mentioned. One is a straight fact, and the other is just an example of a poor definition (point to chair, ask someone to define it, they'll say "you sit on it." Not a good answer).

Don't take this the wrong way, but I think you are very confused. I think my entire writing style is theoretical. You are mistaking theoretical or practical.

Or am I?

Also, using philosophy to back your own theories is, as I understand it, INCREDIBLY Ni.

Don't take this as an attack, it's a legitimate question: are you sure you have an understanding of cognitive functions? Because either you or I don't.