• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Why do people hate INTJs?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
This sounds the most like me. So I can see how a more intuitive approach might have it's advantages.

The tricky thing is that some people will tell me to trust them on something, and they actually can't be trusted, but then, they leave me holding the bag with the justification that "well, you didn't have to listen to me. You were free to make a choice." That kind of thing is annoying, and is the reason why I have a hard time innately trusting people in those kinds of situations. I'm not sure what specific type I would associate with that, other than the fact that I find that behavior annoying.
My advisor (also INTP) was notorious for doing the same thing. I learned when I presented options to him for a decision, I needed to include the option of delaying or doing nothing, and spell out the (usually negative) consequences of that. Otherwise he would just keep putting it off. Usually he chose my recommended option. It didn't take me long to figure out how he operated, and we ended up being a pretty good team.

Of course, the flip side to expecting people to trust my judgement in these circumstances is taking responsibility when it turns out to be wrong. I have no problem doing that, especially since it rarely happens.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
In my opinion, a good rule of thumb to identify the fundamental axis of any particular type's overall generalized obnoxiousness is to hone in on the tert function. It seems to be the one everyone cares the most about, and directs the most conscious energy towards, with a myriad of polarizing effects, half of which tend to represent the crux of our most negative stereotypes. INTPs with their Si pedantry and pet observation patronage, ENTPs with their up-your-ass Fe grabbing, INTJs with their narcissism and stubborn subjective values, etc.

S

Society

Having to react to situations where there isn't time for further fact-gathering certainly happens to all types. I encounter all sorts of reactions from other types, though, that aren't what I usually do. There are people who will keep trying to gather information, almost not admitting that there is no time. Others will try to figure out how to defer the decision - often not possible. Others will resort to some existing procedure, often not suitable. Others will try to pull some decision out of a hat. This last on the surface might look no different from what I do; the difference is that I have a much higher certainty that my solution will work. I will therefore tell all of them: just trust me on this -- it will work. I do react to non-urgent situations this way, too, but will usually take the time to justify my approach to others when there is time, so they feel more confidence in it, too.

...every single time someone had that sentiment (common to both NJs and SJs), it always - always - was wrong, at least without a blind philosophical loops (a.k.a. "it was impossible to do anything else because they didn't think about anything else and weren't open to anything else, thus they were right that it was impossible for them to do anything else").

that's being said, you do have to act on a option and make a gamble, whether you do so knowingly that you can be wrong, and i never had a problem with that - for me the best option is usually the ones that keeps as many of the other options open - but when you lack the time your best option available is going to be one of those in your heads, regardless if it is the best option in general.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I don't hate them.

Just think they're sometimes too bounded and literal.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've noticed that when INTJs explain things, it generally seems more clear than when other types do so, at least for my own thoughts and understanding.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
...every single time someone had that sentiment (common to both NJs and SJs), it always - always - was wrong, at least without a blind philosophical loops (a.k.a. "it was impossible to do anything else because they didn't think about anything else and weren't open to anything else, thus they were right that it was impossible for them to do anything else").
What was wrong? Thinking it was not possible to defer the decision, or thinking it was possible? What I am describing here is the option of inaction, one that people often don't recognize as an option itself. When they don't like available options, they try to avoid choosing any of them, not understanding that doing nothing itself is then a (deliberate) choice. It is rarely hard for me to show people the downside of inaction. The attitude I really disagree with is "there's nothing we can do". There is almost always something constructive to be done; just not always something people are happy to do.

W

WALMART

Ni dom, too literal?

People really don't get this stuff, it's saddening...

G

Glycerine

Ni dom, too literal?

People really don't get this stuff, it's saddening...
I have a feeling that seriousness gets confused with being too literal when, in fact, it can be quite the opposite.... with a tinge of skepticism and possible dismissiveness.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have a feeling that seriousness gets confused with being too literal when, in fact, it can be quite the opposite.... with a tinge of skepticism and possible dismissiveness.
One can also come across as too literal when one lacks the proper context for understanding the intended figurative or symbolic interpretation. This happens to me now and then as I do not follow many aspects of popular culture that most of my peers are familiar with.

disco

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only INTJ I know is delicious. Thoughtful, sexy and admirable :) But I'm a crazy ENFP, do what do I know...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP

It depends. Most INTJs I know and suspect to know have no tolerance for subtlety.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've noticed that when INTJs explain things, it generally seems more clear than when other types do so, at least for my own thoughts and understanding.

I like this guy.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Truth be told I wouldn't be friends with an INTJ. Based on the common definition, I wouldn't want somebody who prized intelligence above all else, or who only valued people based on how "smart" they are. And yes, we INTPs value knowledge for knowledge sake. And? KNowledge can bring pleasure, and doesn't HAVE to be implemented. :D

For friends, my favoured type would be an ENTJ (I respect drive) or an ESFP (I respect fun/freedom and ESFPs and INTPs both like to problem-solve and think outside the box a lot).

Most INTJs in my perspective are like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Truth be told I wouldn't be friends with an INTJ. Based on the common definition, I wouldn't want somebody who prized intelligence above all else, or who only valued people based on how "smart" they are. And yes, we INTPs value knowledge for knowledge sake. And? KNowledge can bring pleasure, and doesn't HAVE to be implemented. :D

For friends, my favoured type would be an ENTJ (I respect drive) or an ESFP (I respect fun/freedom and ESFPs and INTPs both like to problem-solve and think outside the box a lot).

Most INTJs in my perspective are like Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory.
Nice try, I've seen plenty of INTPs do that themselves. Intelligence comes in multiple forms. INTPs only seem to know one form, which is knowledge :D

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
Nice try, I've seen plenty of INTPs do that themselves. Intelligence comes in multiple forms. INTPs only seem to know one form, which is knowledge :D

er.. most don't, you must have delusions.

And knowledge means shit, duh...

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP
I also like how you deride knowledge for knowledge's sake.

Somebody could read about medieval or ancient Indian history for fun. And? If you presume yourself so intelligent, you should acknowledge that fun is subjective. Yet many INTJs reckon that ANYTHING learnt MUST be implemented. Why? lol.

INTPs - Lennard Hofstedt
INTJs - Sheldon Cooper

At least Lennard can get on in the world, despite being a nerd (i'd also say Raj, and the Jewish guy are INTPs). Sheldon is a walking computer.

danseen

MBTI Type
INTP

Somebody could read about medieval or ancient Indian history for fun. And? If you presume yourself so intelligent, you should acknowledge that fun is subjective. Yet many INTJs reckon that ANYTHING learnt MUST be implemented. Why? lol.

INTPs - Lennard Hofstedt
INTJs - Sheldon Cooper

At least Lennard can get on in the world, despite being a nerd (i'd also say Raj, and the Jewish guy are INTPs). Sheldon is a walking computer.

chubber

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

INTPs - Lennard Hofstedt
INTJs - Sheldon Cooper

Ok if you need a hug, just say so man.