• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] WHen An INTJ Feels Out of Character

Noitartst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Right now, I'm unemployed, and I don't feel any fire in the belly, which is decisively out of character for an INTJ. I have always loved to be verbal, outspoken, and argue, but right now, I'm mostly silent, minus the spark to debate. When I used to talk, one sentence led to the next, but now I'm not. Also, I find, for the first time in my life, to be using my intuition manipulatively.

Ironically, I've found relations with my family smoother than ever, but I've never been a bigger liar. Also, I'm not driven to finish what I start, like I've shifted from a J to a P, and turned mentally sloppy. Anybody else felt like this?

I wonder if my introverted intuition has suddenly turned extrovert, or something; at any rate, it's annoying. I'm not enjoying myself, and it's so superficial, anticipating how others react, and adjusting. I also have felt an ego, which is also out of sorts. Even when I ranted and raved, I at least I knew what I wanted, but I can't say that, now. It's pathetic.

Any suggestions on returning to form?

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Right now, I'm unemployed, and I don't feel any fire in the belly, which is decisively out of character for an INTJ. I have always loved to be verbal, outspoken, and argue, but right now, I'm mostly silent, minus the spark to debate. When I used to talk, one sentence led to the next, but now I'm not. Also, I find, for the first time in my life, to be using my intuition manipulatively.

Ironically, I've found relations with my family smoother than ever, but I've never been a bigger liar. Also, I'm not driven to finish what I start, like I've shifted from a J to a P, and turned mentally sloppy. Anybody else felt like this?

I wonder if my introverted intuition has suddenly turned extrovert, or something; at any rate, it's annoying. I'm not enjoying myself, and it's so superficial, anticipating how others react, and adjusting. I also have felt an ego, which is also out of sorts. Even when I ranted and raved, I at least I knew what I wanted, but I can't say that, now. It's pathetic.

Any suggestions on returning to form?

First, sloppiness isn't a "P" trait. It stems from malaise/disinterest.

I think you are relying on the MBTI as a panacea to blanket the real problems in your life.

Without referencing Jungian type, I'd recommend re-evaluating elements of your life that you feel are out of control. Begin with tiny steps.

A lack of perceived personal power often results in a sort-of psychological rebellion; people will try to supplement their presumed deficiencies by overcompensating and/or redirecting potentially negative perception from others.

Pick yourself up. Find a job - any job. Self-worth will follow. Exercise. Follow through.

You'll be fine.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
Sounds like you may be depressed (not clinically). How long has this been going on? Is this a particularly stressful time for you?

Boredom is extremely depressing. Back when I was unemployed, my body morphed into a vegetable, and my self esteem plummeted. Solution? Volunteer somewhere whilst you look for another job. Keep physically active.

Good luck.

dnivera

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp
The job search sucks (I'm going through the same thing right now, so I hear ya). The best thing to do is get yourself into a semblance of your former routine. Get up early, take care of yourself properly (eat and sleep), and do the activities that you enjoy.

Definitely give yourself time to have fun! Watch a movie, go out with friends, whatever. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

Noitartst

MBTI Type
INTJ
Sounds like you may be depressed (not clinically). How long has this been going on? Is this a particularly stressful time for you?

Boredom is extremely depressing. Back when I was unemployed, my body morphed into a vegetable, and my self esteem plummeted. Solution? Volunteer somewhere whilst you look for another job. Keep physically active.

Good luck.

THat at least, I have done. Most of my life I've felt like it, but now I do it just to keep moving.

Noitartst

MBTI Type
INTJ
The job search sucks (I'm going through the same thing right now, so I hear ya). The best thing to do is get yourself into a semblance of your former routine. Get up early, take care of yourself properly (eat and sleep), and do the activities that you enjoy.

Definitely give yourself time to have fun! Watch a movie, go out with friends, whatever. Don't put too much pressure on yourself.

All right. I want to leave somebody mentally broken and bleeding in my wake. I have argued with people, and never found a, well, metaphorical forum, to find a decisive closure in the exchange, and it sapped my energy. All my life, I have drawn energy from the mental violence of argument, but I was never able to do it constructively, or find resolution like in a physical fight, as I'd like.

INTJs are mental warriors, so I figured you folks might have some suggestions. As is, I feel like I've had to mutilate the aggressive arguing side of side of me to keep from going mad. Now, I feel positively docile.

I don't want to hurt anyone, but I just want to be some place where I feel my arguments are appreciated, and I can enjoy myself being myself.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
You should check out INTJforum.

I can relate to going P and not finishing stuff, but not so much the rest.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Sounds like your just depressed. It happens to everyone, now and then.

clueless

Permabanned

At least you want a job. I'm reminded of the time (I used to own a small graphics business) when I offered a friend of mine (who was almost desperate for one) a job and you know what he said to me? He said "Not from you."

Well that caused something of a rift in our relationship. I gave the job to somebody else and my friend disappeared from my life. Never to be seen again. From time to time I think of him and wonder how he is doing. Too bad he didn't want the job. He would have been good at it. I still miss him. He was a real gem.

Eileen

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6?
How old are you? My mid-twenties have made me feel a little out of character. I think there are just some points on the timeline where you have to kind of... recalibrate.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
P and J are not directly related to one's sense of responsibility or lack thereof. However, the J dichotomy just so happens to have the personality traits that employers look for, such as being schedule-minded, routinized, cautious, rule-following, etc.

That does not mean, however, that the J type is going to be hardworking, but rather they prefer their life to be controlled and predictable as opposed to spontaneous and whimsical. Being hardworking is merely a potential side-effect of the J mindset.

I am not hardworking by society's standards, but when it comes to my own passions, I am very determined and obsessive. If I am confronted with a task that I feel is meaningless and not beneficial to me in any way, chances are that I will drag my feet to get the task done.

I tend to be very immobilized in regards to going after what I want, mainly because the world is so unpredictable and by failing to achieve, I will have wasted my time and would feel no sense of accomplishment. I tend to obsess about the goal, but I also hate the painstaking stuff that is wedged between the goal and myself, especially when it is coupled with my number one fear of incompetence.

People perceive me as not being ambitious, but it's actually the other way around...I'm unrealistically ambitious, and when I realize that my dreams are nearly impossible to attain and the steps through realizing the ambition have too many obstacles that are outside of my control, I become hopelessly inactive.