• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] NFP in a relationship with an INTP

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hi, I'm dating an INTP. I'm an I/ENFP in grad school for art therapy, he's an engineer. Unfortunately, because of school, I live about 600 miles from him. I know some good things are my perceptiveness about his feelings and responses and motivations and my acceptance of him and his quirks and his need for time. That he doesn't have to "state" everything, and that I'm not offset or hurt when he does. I acknowledge and appreciate motivation, not just presentation.

That said, I'm a feeler and so I do find myself hesitant to "flood" around him, which is a fairly normal and common thing that happens in my life, when the emotions spike. I'll not talk to him on the phone or I'll go to someone else when I'm "intense." I've mentioned that I cried to someone else and then felt I shouldn't have mentioned it at all because his response implied he felt kind of helpless and confused, and (perhaps) hurt that I'd gone to someone else(???). Should I have just gone to him and trusted he could handle it?

He is responsible and practical (compared to me) and thoughtful, though a lot of understanding him requires experimentation on my part (I worry sometimes that he thinks he's my psychological guinea pig, but really the whole world is, and it's not because I want to manipulate, I just want to respond the best to meet people's needs so...yeah).

Long short of it; it's a relationship, I'm doing some stuff right, and assume I must be giving him something he wants or he wouldn't be dating him, and probably doing some stuff wrong.

I want to know how can I best serve my INTP. What are some things that INTPs are looking for in relationships, particularly ones with feelers, that I can provide (if I'm not already)? Also, is there any way I can ease the pain/difficulty of the distance?

p.s. If all NTs apply the scientific method to the bedroom the same as my INTP does I have no idea why you guys aren't way more popular than you are! :wubbie: Actually, I don't know why everyone doesn't love you; I'm still baffled that no one had snatched up my awesome INTP...

Pseudo

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think you should go to him with your emotions. He wont be the best with them but if he cares about you he'll want to here them. INTPs are often describes as not interacting well with emotions and people. Yes, we may not be good at it but it doesn't mean with don't want to be. I often feel helpless like i cant help people with their feelings but I still want to be there for them, I wish I could do more. Keep in mind he may try to get to to "get over things" but not because they don't matter just because i think INTPs are less comfortable with emotions so our strategy is to stop the "floods"as soon as possible through rationalization. I'm dating and ENFJ and he will "flood" occasionally leaving me at a loss. I've learned that he needs to be in that emotional mood to sort it out, where as i have to take a step back to process. You INTP might do this too.

Anyways I think you should tell him. INTPs have hearts too and we want to connect and support our partners!

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, thank you! I'll do that. :)

Last edited:

baccheion

Tell him what you said here. What do INTPs like, in general? Well, sex, time alone to think, no need to talk a lot, moral support (like you just did), and (a little bit of) affection. It's more important to look for things to avoid than for things to do. So watch for that. Like, it's ok to bring up emotional topics, etc, but trying to force him to open up with his feelings, or trying to change him will not go over well. If you are good at it, then he'll open up eventually anyway (on his own time-- try not to laugh), but another thing to watch for are those moments when he's calm or happy and not really feeling any "emotions" (because deep and negative emotions seem to be the only emotions with feelers, meh) which will lead him to say "nothing." He's just chilling, so back off. If you weren't really trying to get him to open up with his emotions, but instead wanted to discuss something in that arena, then you have to realize that and come clean with what you really wanted.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Tell him what you said here. What do INTPs like, in general? Well, sex, time alone to think, no need to talk a lot, moral support (like you just did), and (a little bit of) affection. It's more important to look for things to avoid than for things to do. So watch for that. Like, it's ok to bring up emotional topics, etc, but trying to force him to open up with his feelings, or trying to change him will not go over well. If you are good at it, then he'll open up eventually anyway (on his own time-- try not to laugh), but another thing to watch for are those moments when he's calm or happy and not really feeling any "emotions" (because deep and negative emotions seem to be the only emotions with feelers, meh) which will lead him to say "nothing." He's just chilling, so back off. If you weren't really trying to get him to open up with his emotions, but instead wanted to discuss something in that arena, then you have to realize that and come clean with what you really wanted.

Thank you for the suggestions. :)
Unfortunately, the distance between us limits sex quite a lot. I think I'm equally as disappointed about that as he is. On principal I do not ask the "whatcha thinkin'" question because of a previous bf who would undoubtedly always answer with "nothing" or "about you" which he thought were valid answers and I thought made him sound brain dead. I now ask specific questions with either a yes/no possibility or open ended depending on how much I'd like to hear from the person. I also begin with "I'd like to know if you..." or "If you're willing to share I was wondering what you..." For the record, we feelers can have deep non-negative emotions. ;) I would never ever laugh at someone's feelings.

baccheion

Thank you for the suggestions. :)
Unfortunately, the distance between us limits sex quite a lot. I think I'm equally as disappointed about that as he is. On principal I do not ask the "whatcha thinkin'" question because of a previous bf who would undoubtedly always answer with "nothing" or "about you" which he thought were valid answers and I thought made him sound brain dead. I now ask specific questions with either a yes/no possibility or open ended depending on how much I'd like to hear from the person. I also begin with "I'd like to know if you..." or "If you're willing to share I was wondering what you..." For the record, we feelers can have deep non-negative emotions. ;) I would never ever laugh at someone's feelings.

No, I meant that many feelers don't think an emotion is valid (from another person, when asked the "how do you feel question") unless it's deep and negative. But I understand.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I meant that many feelers don't think an emotion is valid (from another person, when asked the "how do you feel question") unless it's deep and negative. But I understand.

My apologies for the misunderstanding then
I can see where you get that though, I am reading a book in my counseling class that proposes that anyone who steps into therapy is, at their core, experiencing either devastating grief, crippling fear, or homicidal rage and that those are the only options. I have little doubt the author is a feeler.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm curious about how much value there is in declarations of affection by an INTP? For example, with an SP I wouldn't hold declarations of affection at much value; they're feeling it in the moment and may change their mind soon. My INTP texted me in the middle of the night last night to tell me I make him very happy. It is out of character for him as I'm usually the one who's like "I like you... I like it when you... I like [this] about you..." Not that he doesn't reciprocate, but he doesn't usually initiate.
My instincts are telling me this is not likely to be something he has done flippantly, but I wondered if someone might give me a bead on how much so...
Also, how prone are INTPs to flights of fancy or imagining how things "could be" without intent behind them?

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
How old are both of you?

Ti vs Fi, and Te vs Fe, are very difficult obstacles to overcome in a relationship, in my opinion. Not to say it can't be done, but there is a certain level of maturity and understanding required if you're both going to meet one another's needs. The distance could very well be a blessing for the time being.

I'd say that the 3 big things an INTP needs from a mate are acceptance, space, and mostly positive vibes.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm curious about how much value there is in declarations of affection by an INTP? For example, with an SP I wouldn't hold declarations of affection at much value; they're feeling it in the moment and may change their mind soon. My INTP texted me in the middle of the night last night to tell me I make him very happy. It is out of character for him as I'm usually the one who's like "I like you... I like it when you... I like [this] about you..." Not that he doesn't reciprocate, but he doesn't usually initiate.
My instincts are telling me this is not likely to be something he has done flippantly, but I wondered if someone might give me a bead on how much so...
Also, how prone are INTPs to flights of fancy or imagining how things "could be" without intent behind them?
I usually consider such declarations pretty weighty. They may not always be. IME, their emotions can be somewhat childlike, which is very cool but sometimes confusing.

And, this is just my opinion based on my INTP, they are very prone to flights of fancy or imagining how things could be without intent. And even when there is intent, real life almost universally does not measure up to what was in their heads. You always have that to compete with and sometimes you have to be patient while they adjust to the disappointment. That took me some getting used to and sometimes it still catches me off guard because I so often expect the worst that I'm pleasantly surprised when things don't blow up in my face, plus I get a lot of pleasure from seeing how theory plays out in reality. Life is sort of like a giant lab to me, but to him, he doesn't have a strong need to take things to the lab. He's just fine in his head, TYVM. So dragging him out of it . . . I'm selective about when I do that because he can be an awful grump and ruin my good time without gaining anything himself.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2 cents... declarations of affection are pretty serious IMO. It feels embarrassing to portray them as flighty, like it's an awkward act or something. But everyone is different.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I express positive emotions and feelings of regard for people I like all the time. It doesn't mean anything heavy.

We are not all alike.

We do not all want the same things.

Strangers can't solve your relationship problems for you. Not even (especially) INTP strangers.

Talking about your SO on an online forum is disloyal and cringeworthy, IMO.

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
How old are both of you?

Ti vs Fi, and Te vs Fe, are very difficult obstacles to overcome in a relationship, in my opinion. Not to say it can't be done, but there is a certain level of maturity and understanding required if you're both going to meet one another's needs. The distance could very well be a blessing for the time being.

I'd say that the 3 big things an INTP needs from a mate are acceptance, space, and mostly positive vibes.

Age range for us is mid to late 20's.

Thanks. :)

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How old are both of you?

Ti vs Fi, and Te vs Fe, are very difficult obstacles to overcome in a relationship, in my opinion. Not to say it can't be done, but there is a certain level of maturity and understanding required if you're both going to meet one another's needs.

Agreed.

I've found two ENTP's in real life (one was a friend, the other is a coworker) both are with Fi/Te users, an ISFP and an INFP respectively. I think one of the benefits of a NFP + NTP relationship is the shared Ne/Si.

The longest conversations I've ever had with another male has been with NTPs. We're talking (pun intended) several hours. This is a good thing. Nothing like running around in circles conversationally with someone who sees you jumping around and not only keeps up but bounces the ball back your way with a different spin.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm, but INFP and INTP are like best buds. If there is some attraction, it might work, but if the attraction dies out then it will be back to best buddies. It is supposed to be a very friendly atmosphere, interesting and never boring, unless the OP is really an ENFP and then the OP might find themselves in a position where the INTP is always at the top of the hierarchy instead of an equal ground. Which would probably mean the ENFP is nagging at the INTP who has seemingly got nothing to lose, don't care attitude.
:shrug:

briochick

half-nut member
MBTI Type
eNFP
Enneagram
;)
Instinctual Variant
sx
Hmm, but INFP and INTP are like best buds. If there is some attraction, it might work, but if the attraction dies out then it will be back to best buddies. It is supposed to be a very friendly atmosphere, interesting and never boring, unless the OP is really an ENFP and then the OP might find themselves in a position where the INTP is always at the top of the hierarchy instead of an equal ground. Which would probably mean the ENFP is nagging at the INTP who has seemingly got nothing to lose, don't care attitude.
:shrug:

:D
In that case I hope I'm not an ENFP...sometimes I like to think I'm an ENFP because I can do public speaking and people have said I inspire them, but I have never once tested as one. I pretty much test INFP across the board, though once I tested ESFJ.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
:D
In that case I hope I'm not an ENFP...sometimes I like to think I'm an ENFP because I can do public speaking and people have said I inspire them, but I have never once tested as one. I pretty much test INFP across the board, though once I tested ESFJ.

ENFPs are the best :yes:

Dont listen to what he says, he doesent have a clue

baccheion

It can be like that between the INTP and ENFP unless they are in a relationship or develop a friendship. ENFPs can be as annoying as they can be awesome. Either way, the INTP wouldn't be doing it on purpose, they'd just be acting as they are. Unless the ENFP is especially annoying (pushing too hard for the INTP to open up, projecting BS, talking too much, etc), in which case the INTP would obviously be trying to get away..

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
p.s. If all NTs apply the scientific method to the bedroom the same as my INTP does I have no idea why you guys aren't way more popular than you are! :wubbie: Actually, I don't know why everyone doesn't love you; I'm still baffled that no one had snatched up my awesome INTP...

We're like complicatedly wrapped candy. It takes a while to get to the good stuff. People don't have the patience for us these days.

I want to know how can I best serve my INTP. What are some things that INTPs are looking for in relationships, particularly ones with feelers, that I can provide (if I'm not already)? Also, is there any way I can ease the pain/difficulty of the distance?

You can best serve an INTP in a relationship by being honest about your feelings. We may be awkward socially inept creatures at times, but we do pick up on most things. When met with unexplained worries or hesitation our brains will wreak havoc. Talking does a lot of good. Outsourcing your worries to third parties when concerning INTP's is not very good. (If it's about an issue you've tried to work out but can't with said INTP, it's different, but give him the benefit of the doubt first before you look elsewhere for answers. ;) )

^ Especially in long distance relationships.