• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs - What Is Your Job?

I

Infinite Bubble

I don't have a job yet (since I only just graduated from high school) but I'm majoring in chemical engineering since it makes a lot of money and I'd probably be good at it.

What I really want to do is be an author (and in addition to writing books, also write movies, tv shows, and video games), but since I can't guarantee I'd be successful at that, I plan on getting a job that pays well and then write books in my spare time. If they sell well, I'll write for a living.

There are too many things I want to do (what I mentioned there is only a small fraction of what I wish I could do with my life)...

I'm in the same position as you and have similar aspirations, although I want to go into astronomy/cosmology. I'd like to do different things on the side such as writing and composing, rather than being pinned down to one activity. That would be pretty mind-numbing.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
INTJs! What is your profession?!

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
i work as a secretary because i have yet to finish my studies in finance and international investments and i consider every day to be a test to my patience and a chance to improve my people skills(also not rolling my eyes at shit people say is a special skill i try to improve) .. i m not doing such a great job apparently but the good part is that it pays for school and the bills and i have lots of time to study and really high speed internet here

*all these considering that i were an intj

autumnandtherain

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One of my good INTJ friends is a paramedic. I mistyped him as an ISFJ at first (when I was still learning how MBTI works), but he explained to me that the reason he can be a paramedic is probably *because* he's a T. Being a Feeler, I probably couldn't do something like that without becoming depressed about all the tragedy involved with that kind of profession.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a manager in an educational institute. I've risen quite quickly since I decided to get into management. One of the lecturers referred to me as a high flyer, which I'm certainly not, however I suppose I must have been effective and that must have been noticed.

Whilst I enjoy most of the aspects of management, I really struggle with having to deal with people. I can do it reasonably well but it uses up a lot of my energy and I really have to bite my tongue.

I'm wondering whether I need to change my career as I find the political correctness rather stifling and to be honest I don't have much faith in the public education system. The trouble is I'm not sure what I should be doing instead or whether I'm capable of doing anything else. I suppose I'm just too comfortable where I am, and I know that further progression is almost a certainty. I seem to remember a quote about INTJs and working in education and that it was a delusion, a waste of time. I want to be working in the real world to feel valid.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I'm a manager in an educational institute. I've risen quite quickly since I decided to get into management. One of the lecturers referred to me as a high flyer, which I'm certainly not, however I suppose I must have been effective and that must have been noticed.

Whilst I enjoy most of the aspects of management, I really struggle with having to deal with people. I can do it reasonably well but it uses up a lot of my energy and I really have to bite my tongue.

I'm wondering whether I need to change my career as I find the political correctness rather stifling and to be honest I don't have much faith in the public education system. The trouble is I'm not sure what I should be doing instead or whether I'm capable of doing anything else. I suppose I'm just too comfortable where I am, and I know that further progression is almost a certainty. I seem to remember a quote about INTJs and working in education and that it was a delusion, a waste of time. I want to be working in the real world to feel valid.

We can swap jobs if you want a sort of...freaky friday of careers. I'll be the educational manager, (haha lets see how long it takes for that to fall to pieces), and you can be the argos stockroom lackey and minor assistant to an accountant of a private owned business.

I have two jobs, see? But they are both infinitely more inferior in status, and I would hazard wage, to yours. But I take what I can get and honestly it's fascinating that I have got this far.

Te as a function is something I envy somewhat, it appears to lend itself to the world of doing, leading and efficiency, all things I struggle with personally, although I am not trying to idealise it and pretend that having that function in a strong position automatically lends itself to success in those areas, but I am saying it might help a bit.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
We can swap jobs if you want a sort of...freaky friday of careers. I'll be the educational manager, (haha lets see how long it takes for that to fall to pieces), and you can be the argos stockroom lackey and minor assistant to an accountant of a private owned business.

I have two jobs, see? But they are both infinitely more inferior in status, and I would hazard wage, to yours. But I take what I can get and honestly it's fascinating that I have got this far.

Te as a function is something I envy somewhat, it appears to lend itself to the world of doing, leading and efficiency, all things I struggle with personally, although I am not trying to idealise it and pretend that having that function in a strong position automatically lends itself to success in those areas, but I am saying it might help a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful and I feel fortunate to be in the position I am. I did the hard graft to get there, studying for years etc and I've done my fair share of mundane jobs (there was a thread somewhere about work history). As I get older though I have become more suspicious of politicians and question the efficiency of the public sector and the efficacy of education.

I know I strangely felt guilty when I got the job over other colleagues and wondered why this had happened. I don't sell myself very well, I've blown several interviews in the past haha :)

I take for granted my ability to organise, and most of the time follow through. I'm really not happy until a decision is made either. I know that this is something some people (especially lecturers it seems) struggle with. Also the responsibility scares some staff, though it's something I never think about, I just focus on the job rather than worrying about negatives or how people will react (most of the time). Ni helps me to quickly see the big picture and where I think we should be going, whilst Te supports me to get there. Typically though for INTJ I have to restrain myself and be careful not to pass judgement before I have all the facts.

I was most stressed when I did the customer-service jobs. This was due to their routine nature, the feeling of not being full-filled and having to deal with the general public in service situations. Now I have good stress ... but I seem to always want more. I don't think I'm a particularly amibitious person. It's not about money or status, but of having a feeling of being useful and self-actualization.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I'm a development engineer. The best things about my job are that I get to use my brain and there are many different types of things I end up doing, ranging from brick laying or driving a forklift truck through to creating mathematical proofs.

It's a good job, but I've had my share of bad ones before. Usually involving nausiating, diseased or highly toxic substances.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I was most stressed when I did the customer-service jobs. This was due to their routine nature, the feeling of not being full-filled and having to deal with the general public in service situations. Now I have good stress ... but I seem to always want more. I don't think I'm a particularly amibitious person. It's not about money or status, but of having a feeling of being useful and self-actualization.

I can relate. I'm pretty much in that position now and I really don't like it. I was recently given a mild telling off because those few rare times I do have to deal with customers I apparently don't smile enough.

Mindless routine is just.....the pits.

Valis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
I can relate. I'm pretty much in that position now and I really don't like it. I was recently given a mild telling off because those few rare times I do have to deal with customers I apparently don't smile enough.

Mindless routine is just.....the pits.

Smiling at customers was an anathema to me :)

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Smiling at customers was an anathema to me :)

Yes! If I am to smile it will be on my terms and because something sincerely made me do so.

Like an overly ruffled collar for example....

Bibliophile

MBTI Type
INTJ
I plan to become a high school English teacher and write fiction novels and poetry on the side. After teaching high school for a while and earning my masters, I am thinking about becoming a college English professor.

Luet

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am a senior consultant for a governmental organisation. I advise a division-director on HR-matters. I like the influence I have, the inside information, the need to overview a comlex situation, analyse and quickly decide on the best options for problemsolving.
I don't like the bureaucratic enviremont I'm in (I 'm more compatetive). On the other side: I also don't like the stress, the pressure to always preform at the top of your abillity. So, thats a bit ambiques.