• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Rationale...BLEH! HAH!

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
trying to manipulate us by telling us you know we can't do something will only result in us shrugging and thinking, "okay then, whatever you say."

we aren't that easy and certainly don't feel the need to prove something to someone just because they know how to declare something. who doesn't?

damn. i'm more likely to be insulted by your shitty effort than by what you actually said.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
trying to manipulate us by telling us you know we can't do something will only result in us shrugging and thinking, "okay then, whatever you say."

we aren't that easy and certainly don't feel the need to prove something to someone just because they know how to declare something. who doesn't?

damn. i'm more likely to be insulted by your shitty effort than by what you actually said.
:wubbie:

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you guys were really rational, then you would see the logic/rationality of expressing your feelings, getting out there, and interacting with folks on a regular basis!

Maybe you do, but if what I see from these posts are any indication, you do not express yourselves nearly as efficiently as we NFs.

:party2::devil:

WRONG. Expressing feelings isn't always a good thing. It depends on the situation. If you're feeling irritable, and little things your mate does get on your nerves, should you automatically express them? No. Similarly, some of your frustrations might be altogether YOUR issues, and expressing that frustration would do nothing but cause strife. Third, there are times when expressing things doesn't help at allm but merely stirs up more intra-psychic friction. In these cases, it might be better to analyze and investigate what you're thinking.

Regarding regularly interacting with folks, it's not so obvious what that means. Some people have high needs, some people have low needs, and some people have pathological needs, using interaction as a way to distract themselves from underlying sadness, or restlessness. In these cases, interaction is not beneficial, even detrimental.

Self-expression and interaction can be beneficial, but they don't override logic and understanding; they're subsumed by it. Your final line about NF's "expressing themselves more efficiently (I think "articulate" is the word you're looking for...ZING!) is just speculation. I'd disagree with it.

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
If you guys were really rational, then you would see the logic/rationality of expressing your feelings, getting out there, and interacting with folks on a regular basis!

Maybe you do, but if what I see from these posts are any indication, you do not express yourselves nearly as efficiently as we NFs.

:party2::devil:

Sounds like somebody has had a negative personal experience. ;)

DigitalMethod

Content. Content?
MBTI Type
INTJ
How could that be possible if the NT's are not even interacting with her? :huh:

It's possibly the fact that they haven't been interacting has caused such strong feelings from her to able post this. Just guessing.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Wasn't 'Rational' a term coined for NTs by Kiersey?

Need I remind everyone that Kiersey sucked?

There. Problem solved.

MBTI Type
INxJ
Rationals aren't without feelings, and they can express them. It's usually just more subtle than what some types are use to.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Out of serious curiousity. I have a really close ENTP friend who seems to be avoiding me as of lately, and when I did meet him, I crushed him in a debate, because I had more knowledge on the subject, and later on, in jest, I made fun of his jokes and got people laughing at him. I realized how stupid I was acting and sent a bunch of apology texts, emails, messages, and the answer I get is that the ENTP was never offended by any of it. I personally don't believe that, because I would have personally been offended. Secondly, the ENTP left within five minutes of the jokes on the ENTP stopping.

give me some feedback.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think several things are happening with the ENTP... but I'll phrase it as if you did it to me.

• I'd be quite offended and probably hurt. It's never nice to have one's ass handed to one in public. The fact that you're a friend makes it worse. Thinkers have feelings too.
  • In all likelihood, as a result of the intellectual humiliation I'm scheming and brooding as I violently alt-tab through various Jstor and Wikipedia articles, trying to bolster myself for any future encounters.
  • The good thing is that if the friendship is strong enough, as long as I'm able to redeem myself in as public a forum as I was insulted in, I will be willing to participate in a rapprochement. But redress must be public, since the insult was public. So, I'd suggest that in the near future, when the ENTP is hanging out with you and the same people you made fun of him/her in front of, you lay low and give him/her the podium a bit more, maybe give him/her a bit more leeway if his/her jokes fall flat... in a few weeks, you can return to a more balanced banter.

O

Oberon

give me some feedback.

He's cut you loose.

He won't want to say so because he hates confrontation, but he's cut you loose for the duration, maybe forever. Don't expect him to call you.

You might possibly change this course of events, but it'll take your initiative to make it happen.

That's my interpretation, anyway.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thank you. "Flame threads" are worthwhile because I learned a great deal about you and how you think.

And anyway, yes, it was a serious question.

I think it is fascinating how you folks throw "flame threads" at us all the time, but the first time one of us asks an uncomfortable, penetrating question - you guys flip out.

And, yes, to answer your question, I deliberately used the word "efficiently." I never say anything without thinking about it. I'm an English teacher. I meant it facetiously to get you thinking.

Regardless of what you all think, I got you thinking and talking. SO THERE! :hi:

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think several things are happening with the ENTP... but I'll phrase it as if you did it to me.

• I'd be quite offended and probably hurt. It's never nice to have one's ass handed to one in public. The fact that you're a friend makes it worse. Thinkers have feelings too.
  • In all likelihood, as a result of the intellectual humiliation I'm scheming and brooding as I violently alt-tab through various Jstor and Wikipedia articles, trying to bolster myself for any future encounters.
  • The good thing is that if the friendship is strong enough, as long as I'm able to redeem myself in as public a forum as I was insulted in, I will be willing to participate in a rapprochement. But redress must be public, since the insult was public. So, I'd suggest that in the near future, when the ENTP is hanging out with you and the same people you made fun of him/her in front of, you lay low and give him/her the podium a bit more, maybe give him/her a bit more leeway if his/her jokes fall flat... in a few weeks, you can return to a more balanced banter.
Lol, Hammurabi's code much?!?!?

Note to self: NT's are keeping mental tabs

:cry:

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that we probably would have been doing that anyway. :yes:

Yes, but not in the same way, and certainly not with the same enthusiasm. Logically. :hug:

I mean, I think about this as a growth experience. Or else you may never have seen the banana llama.

O

Oberon

You make me scratch my head.

Why are you here?

Why should I care?

Hmmm...

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that we probably would have been doing that anyway. :yes:
Lol, but I totally feel Carolyn's point.

It's ironic, for a bunch of Rationals, you guys, (in general), sure do seem to get your emotional feathers so easily ruffled, when a criticism, no matter how slight or sincere, is thrown out there at you, and for reasons not entirely clear to me, these criticisms/observations seem to be simultaneously detected by you, and instantaneously, somehow perceived/translated/processed as a threat.

And then comes the communal flinging of NT intellectual poop and personal insults at the person who posed the criticism/observation/question!!!

Didn't your mothers teach you not to fling poop?!?!?

It's not nice, and it stinks and it makes us cower at the thought of honestly confronting you again, (that, or it makes us absolutely livid, and puts us in an NF_U attack-all-you-cold-heartless-insecure-bastards-to-a-hot-and-fiery-emotional-warfare -hell :devil:).