• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and childlike emotions

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My current thinking is "yes" at least for any given moment. They aren't going to say "'oh, this is my favorite" and then have doubts. It will seem like a certain thing at the time, even if it changes later.

I could be way off, but this is the impression I get from both reading Jung and some experience dating Fi dom/auxes.

Everything you just said points to you being a Ti dom. I can't exactly explain Fi, but I think I have somewhat of a sense of what it looks like, and that isn't it. If you were a Fi dom, I'd probably be more puzzled by what you were saying, instead of thinking that it makes a lot of sense.

You want precision, and something logically consistent. You want a consistent answer for what category you fall under. That is not Fi. THat is Ti.
Sounds consistent with what I think.
A definite trademark of Fi is that the Fi user thinks that things are too varied and unique to systematize, "You can't put labels on it!"

A general rule of thumb here, therefore, seems to be that if someone is not revealing their type, or putting in some non-MBTI combination of letters, they are a Fi dom or aux. It's surprising how often this works. A lot of Fi dom/auxes don't like MBTI because they see people as too unique to put into categories, or something.
Ugh, I can't tell you how many people just assumed this about me. The hell of it was that I only became unsure of my type because other people argued with me, and I actually admitted they might be right because I could see the inconsistencies- and I still overthink things and freak out if I see something in myself which contradicts what I think; and they believed this about me despite me explicitly telling them I obviously did want to be categorized, or else I wouldn't care so much what type I am. Ti doms can be complete idiots. (And I removed my type several times just because I didn't want more controversy.)

GreatBigCranberries

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
You want precision, and something logically consistent. You want a consistent answer for what category you fall under. That is not Fi. THat is Ti.

A definite trademark of Fi is that the Fi user thinks that things are too varied and unique to systematize, "You can't put labels on it!"

This is very convincing. I can feel myself being swayed, but the very fact that I can be so swayed makes me suspicious. I'm fairly certain that I wrote my previous messages in the hopes that someone would convince me that I really was INTP. I don't like the idea of having dominant Fi. But for that very reason I have to seriously consider whether I do, otherwise I'll just be believing that I'm INTP because I want to and not because I really think it's true. And yes, I know that sounds very Ti. Currently I have running commentary in my head deciding whether everything I says sounds more Ti or Fi.

I have to admit the bitter truth. Saying "I don't take criticism well" was worded to allow for the possibility that I might be INTP. More accurately, (and more INFP) I'm sensitive to criticism. But I would much rather someone give me honest feedback even if it hurts my feelings, than lie to coddle me. I dislike expressing strong emotion, but I cry easily. This is largely because crying is semi-involuntary. I can prevent myself from saying or doing something when I'm upset or angry (with some effort), but I can only prevent myself from crying by not being upset in the first place (which as I said in a previous post, I'm trying to do). This sounds to me very like and INFP.

From a post by and INFP on INFPs with Enneagram 5:
"Some INFPs identify as Type 5s. These may be INFPs who test close to the F/T border. INFP type 5s may tend to:
-Fall easily into being a detached observer, rather than a participant. While many INFPs have this quality (as it is common for all introverts), it is often more pronounced in type 5 INFPs.
-Feel torn between engagement and withdrawing. Fi tends to concern itself with people and harmonizing values, while type 5s fear being overwhelmed by others. This can leads to type 5 INFPs feeling particularly torn when trying to begin or maintain relationships with others.
-Like type 4 INFPs, come across as weird/crazy.
-Appear to be more even keeled/flatter emotionally than other INFPs. The ability of Fi to regulate emotional state is used here to moderate emotional intensity. May have a hard time dealing with intense emotions when they arise (may attempt to flee into rationalizing and intellectualizing)."

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
If you're really unsure, try doing the video challenge :yes:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is very convincing. I can feel myself being swayed, but the very fact that I can be so swayed makes me suspicious. I'm fairly certain that I wrote my previous messages in the hopes that someone would convince me that I really was INTP. I don't like the idea of having dominant Fi. But for that very reason I have to seriously consider whether I do, otherwise I'll just be believing that I'm INTP because I want to and not because I really think it's true. And yes, I know that sounds very Ti. Currently I have running commentary in my head deciding whether everything I says sounds more Ti or Fi.

I have to admit the bitter truth. Saying "I don't take criticism well" was worded to allow for the possibility that I might be INTP. More accurately, (and more INFP) I'm sensitive to criticism.
But I would much rather someone give me honest feedback even if it hurts my feelings, than lie to coddle me.

That's not Fi.
From a post by and INFP on INFPs with Enneagram 5:
"Some INFPs identify as Type 5s. These may be INFPs who test close to the F/T border. INFP type 5s may tend to:
-Fall easily into being a detached observer, rather than a participant. While many INFPs have this quality (as it is common for all introverts), it is often more pronounced in type 5 INFPs.
-Feel torn between engagement and withdrawing. Fi tends to concern itself with people and harmonizing values, while type 5s fear being overwhelmed by others. This can leads to type 5 INFPs feeling particularly torn when trying to begin or maintain relationships with others.
-Like type 4 INFPs, come across as weird/crazy.
-Appear to be more even keeled/flatter emotionally than other INFPs. The ability of Fi to regulate emotional state is used here to moderate emotional intensity. May have a hard time dealing with intense emotions when they arise (may attempt to flee into rationalizing and intellectualizing)."

That sort of manipulation, and even placing such importance on knowing the "correct" answer, is Ti. Ti places more value on MBTI than Fi. Why? Because it's a category, a logical, systemic distinction.

GreatBigCranberries

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
That sort of manipulation, and even placing such importance on knowing the "correct" answer, is Ti. Ti places more value on MBTI than Fi. Why? Because it's a category, a logical, systemic distinction.

But you could just as easily say I'm so concerned about this because I'm trying to find my real self, which sounds Fi. You say that placing such importance on knowing the right answer is Ti, I agree. The question is: is that what I'm doing? I don't have a very clear idea of what my real motivations are. Dominant Fi seems to place a high importance on their ideal self. It's entirely possible that my "ideal self" just happens to resemble dominant Ti. Or I could really be INTP. I don't know anymore. I've been going round in circles on this all day. I'm starting to get dizzy.

If you're really unsure, try doing the video challenge :yes:

What's the video challenge?

GreatBigCranberries

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w5
The link just leads me to a page that says I do not have permission to access that page.

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I didn't think the Bonfire had a post-count minimum entry thingy. Weird.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
otherwise I'll just be believing that I'm INTP because I want to and not because I really think it's true. And yes, I know that sounds very Ti. Currently I have running commentary in my head deciding whether everything I says sounds more Ti or Fi.
This is so true for me.