• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] xNTP's: When is it time to stop analyzing and actually take action?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I know for myself as an ENTP, I find it very hard to stop analyzing something, and to actually take action. It's like I want to understand something as thoroughly as possible, but yet many times time won't allow this and many times I will just have to get a "pretty good" understanding of something and then just take action and figure out the rest later. Many times I still don't know when to stop analyzing though. Fellow NTP's: when do you know when it's time to stop analyzing something and to actually take action?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not an NTP, but I'm an analyzer. I always found this Colin Powellism sensible and empowering.

Part I: "Use the formula P=40 to 70, in which P stands for the probably of success and the numbers indicate the percentage of information acquired." Part II: "Once the information is in the 40 to 70 range, go with your gut." This is about balancing data and information gathering with your instincts. Learn to trust your gut (which is about trusting your experience.) Sure you’ll make mistakes, but you’ll also learn. In the real world, you don’t have infinite time to explore every problem until you have all the possible information. Instead, it’s about satisficing to get things done. You have to find potential solutions that fit and test them against reality to see what sticks.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
hmm, ill think about it and get back to you

S

Society

i take action without being certain that i know enough about something all the time, figuring things out as i go along. if i would wait for absolute certainty about anything i would have never learned to crawl out of the slight possibility that the ground would kick me back.

honestly its only in recent years that i've gone into moments of freezing when the stakes are too high (a.k..a inclusive of loved ones)... before that, when it was just me, that didn't matter either.

seems to me to just be a matter of confidence.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When the benefit of further analyzing is less than the benefit of taking action; or when understanding the nuances of the situation doesn't really impact what answer you will pick.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When your next goal is in danger.
So you have to learn to set goals.

I work with an entj who has very well defined goals, mine are fuzzier but I realised setting goals was necessary to work effectively with him as well as of course in my own interest.

Being a high risk taker balanced with a risk minimization adept I had to learn to define goals to correctly manage risk.

So: ask yourself what you want and keep refining it. It takes time. It s counter intuitive for ntps: but i d recommend it for any ntp who want to get as much options as possible.

A good thing to focus on is cash related: money and levers used to get more money gives you liberty to be as Ne as you want as long as it gets you that next cash flow.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
guess its related to what is important to you as well. Money and cash didnt let me feel more Ne, people do I can surround myself with, who share my perception of the world. Same applies to logic, intps like analyze everything, I think thats a mistake. I keep my Ti to math questions and decide by what I want regulary, disregardless if its rational or not. Only thing thats important is to have consitency in your actions, that makes yourself feel more safe and confident.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
When the meteor is already in the garden.

Geniuses those NTP's, geniuses at procrastination. Meanwhile Ernie the ESTJ has made a killing the cock....sorry Stock market.

The prick, but at least he isn't a genius....I'm going to spit on his jag later, the balding twat....just let me finish this JSA application.

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When there is a deadline that kicks my butt and forces me to make a decision. Or when I feel like being spontaneous and get all inspired to use my extraverted functions and live life.
[MENTION=10714]Qlip[/MENTION], that's a good formula. And [MENTION=7]Jennifer[/MENTION], very rational. Borrowing from the INTJ's in seeing the big picture, which INTP's sometimes forget when they get lost in the details.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
hmm, ill think about it and get back to you

Beat me to it...same too.

lol, that's pretty funny.

i take action without being certain that i know enough about something all the time, figuring things out as i go along. if i would wait for absolute certainty about anything i would have never learned to crawl out of the slight possibility that the ground would kick me back.

honestly its only in recent years that i've gone into moments of freezing when the stakes are too high (a.k..a inclusive of loved ones)... before that, when it was just me, that didn't matter either.

seems to me to just be a matter of confidence.

I think it's because you're a core 7w8. They are much more action oriented and look like core gut types.

When your next goal is in danger.
So you have to learn to set goals.

I work with an entj who has very well defined goals, mine are fuzzier but I realised setting goals was necessary to work effectively with him as well as of course in my own interest.

Being a high risk taker balanced with a risk minimization adept I had to learn to define goals to correctly manage risk.

So: ask yourself what you want and keep refining it. It takes time. It s counter intuitive for ntps: but i d recommend it for any ntp who want to get as much options as possible.

A good thing to focus on is cash related: money and levers used to get more money gives you liberty to be as Ne as you want as long as it gets you that next cash flow.

That's a good idea.

When there is a deadline that kicks my butt and forces me to make a decision. Or when I feel like being spontaneous and get all inspired to use my extraverted functions and live life.

Qlip, that's a good formula. And Jennifer, very rational. Borrowing from the INTJ's in seeing the big picture, which INTP's sometimes forget when they get lost in the details.

That's very interesting that you say that INTP's often fail to see the big picture. I haven't noticed this. Also would you say that the same thing applies to ENTP's?

greenfairy

philosopher wood nymph
MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's very interesting that you say that INTP's often fail to see the big picture. I haven't noticed this. Also would you say that the same thing applies to ENTP's?
They very much see the big picture in terms of the underlying concepts, but they can lose track of the greater meaning and purpose of things when analyzing something to death. I think it's less true of ENTP's because it's more of an excess of Ti; ENTP's Ne balances it out because it lacks the patience to obsess over things.

S

Society

I think it's because you're a core 7w8. They are much more action oriented and look like core gut types.

actually i relate to a lot more to the 7w6 extended descriptions then i do in the 7w8 - particularly in regards to behavior in relationships. i do recognize that i have some 8 in me, but it isn't even close to balancing out the 6.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
actually i relate to a lot more to the 7w6 extended descriptions then i do in the 7w8 - particularly in regards to behavior in relationships. i do recognize that i have some 8 in me, but it isn't even close to balancing out the 6.

Then you're probably 7w6(sw8w7) then.

Samvega

Buddhist Misanthrope
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wait a second, so at some point I'm supposed to stop analyzing and take action!? That explains a lot!

I struggle with this for sure but at the end of the day, you just gotta jump and build your wings on the way down. While the view may be amazing from the cliff I'd rather soar than wonder what could be. I also don't avoid risk as much as many, jump high and hope but know in doing so the landings become harder. I have faith in myself to never allow an experience to become a waste by learning nothing from it. Have fun, enjoy life, don't take life too seriously, risk it all once in awhile, don't get HIV and try to keep all of your limbs, ideally attached.