• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ Artists

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Are there any INTJs on this forum who are artists? [that includes tattoo artists, airbrush artists, actors, singers, guitar players, writers, poets, illustrators (especially of medical textbooks or manuals of any types) video coreographers, game graphics, architects, interior designers, advertising development and any other person who renders the unseen visible for the sake of helping others see.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
I consider myself an artist in two ways. First and foremost, I am an amateur photographer, interested especially in nature landscapes. The other form of being artist in me, the less obvious one, is that I work as a computer programmer and consider programming (for me) as form of art - even though I do not do any visual design, the more I can let my creativity flow in order to overcome a challenge, the more interesting the project :)

By the way, your definition (is that what it is?) for an artist is somewhat interesting. Is doing art really about helping others see something?

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Thank you, gandalf, for responding,

I am an amateur photographer, interested especially in nature landscapes.
That's definitely art, even under my definition, because you are capturing a particular thing that you want to bring into focus.

The other form of being artist in me, the less obvious one, is that I work as a computer programmer and consider programming (for me) as form of art - even though I do not do any visual design, the more I can let my creativity flow in order to overcome a challenge, the more interesting the project

I totally get that. It's not unlike composing a piece of music or writing a play in some ways.

By the way, your definition (is that what it is?) for an artist is somewhat interesting. Is doing art really about helping others see something?

Haha...I guess it is, because if they could already "see" it [or perhaps, we could say, envision, understand, or comprehend?] it, then there would be no need to produce it. For me, doing art is about taking what I see inside my mind's eye and making it tangible or visible, so that it can affect some sort of change, reaction or understanding in the physical world. So to me, art is about taking the intangible and making it tangible, about turning intuition into reality.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Haha...I guess it is, because if they could already "see" it [or perhaps, we could say, envision, understand, or comprehend?] it, then there would be no need to produce it. For me, doing art is about taking what I see inside my mind's eye and making it tangible or visible, so that it can affect some sort of change, reaction or understanding in the physical world. So to me, art is about taking the intangible and making it tangible, about turning intuition into reality.

That makes sense when you put it that way. Originally, I got the impression that art might not be art unless it was deliberately created in order to help others see something and that's where I would disagree :) I'd rather suggest that the best artists work just for themselves and the outcome just happens to be something people like.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
That makes sense when you put it that way. Originally, I got the impression that art might not be art unless it was deliberately created in order to help others see something and that's where I would disagree :) I'd rather suggest that the best artists work just for themselves and the outcome just happens to be something people like.

Oh, yeah, I definitely create stuff just because I want to do it and often it has absolutely nothing to do with anyone else, so yes, I do agree with you. I like your definition, too. Let's put them together. When it comes right down to the wire, I ultimitely create something just because I want to, but the end result is also a product or a revelation of some sort and once anything is introduced into the world, it affects a change to some degree. So, we could say that art is born of a desire to take something from our mind's eyes and make it a reality, something that will bring the intangible into tangibility and then that creation brings about some type of reaction in the world and since the world is full of people, the reaction is usually as a result of their interpretation or use of it.

I

Infinite Bubble

I do enjoy artistic expression and always have, although rather than an expression of feelings or emotions, it is more of ideas, concepts, and an abstract way of conveying information and thoughts through this creativity. I'd rather not limit myself to one form or another, because it's interesting to see how I can convey meaning and symbols through the different artistic processes. I primarily compose, write fiction and create visual art (mostly pencil or paint). My family are a rather artistic one; my father a painter, my mother a talented writer, and my uncle a pianist. So as you can see it appears I've took their interests into my own hands.

It would be interesting to see how other INTJ artists operate. I believe it would certainly differ from the classic ISFP artist mentality, which I felt in my short time at art school, as the difference in motives and general perspectives were clear (of course they weren't all ISFPs, but they definitely weren't INTJs). Priority of Ni over Se may show in INxJs having preference for underlying meaning and symbolism over the actual aesthetics, and while there's the deeper, more unconscious influence of Fi in tertiary, it won't be at the forefront, being the immediate force like many other artists. Instead, the preference for Te might manifest as the work having a technical or mechanical quality underlying it, pertaining to objective truths/reality in some way or even being science related (such as many of my own).

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. I write and make GFX art:

http://leatelamon.deviantart.com/
http://leatelamon.tumblr.com/

I would like to get into vector coloring and graphics eventually but meh. I do color though. I have done some digital drawings but I need to reinstall my Wacom software sigh.

I have done one AMV and I was intending to do more but it's so energy draining and time-consuming (and my computer isn't quite up to par):

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am a musician, piano and organ primarily, plus some arranging and transcription for small groups. I have in the past sung in choirs as well. I find this kind of creativity especially allows me to express parts of myself that I can't express in my usual (i.e. work) activities, which are creative in different ways. I also make the occasional quilt, in addition to purely practical sewing, and have started doing web design, though that so far has been more utilitarian than artistic.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
First, I want to say that I think your replies are just awesome and they may confirm what I suspect--that there are many INTJ artists but maybe because we don't display the usual 'artistic temperament' [whatever that is] people often don't realize just how many INTJs are artists.

I do enjoy artistic expression and always have, although rather than an expression of feelings or emotions, it is more of ideas, concepts, and an abstract way of conveying information and thoughts through this creativity.

Yes, I experience that, too.

I'd rather not limit myself to one form or another, because it's interesting to see how I can convey meaning and symbols through the different artistic processes.

Again, I experience this same thing.

I primarily compose, write fiction and create visual art (mostly pencil or paint). My family are a rather artistic one; my father a painter, my mother a talented writer, and my uncle a pianist. So as you can see it appears I've took their interests into my own hands.

I think this is wonderful that you have such versatility. It testifies to a versatile personality and keen, adaptable kind of intelligence, in my opinion.

]It would be interesting to see how other INTJ artists operate.

I think so, too.

I believe it would certainly differ from the classic ISFP artist mentality, which I felt in my short time at art school, as the difference in motives and general perspectives were clear (of course they weren't all ISFPs, but they definitely weren't INTJs).Priority of Ni over Se may show in INxJs having preference for underlying meaning and symbolism over the actual aesthetics, and while there's the deeper, more unconscious influence of Fi in tertiary, it won't be at the forefront, being the immediate force like many other artists. Instead, the preference for Te might manifest as the work having a technical or mechanical quality underlying it, pertaining to objective truths/reality in some way or even being science related (such as many of my own).

I also recall many SF artists in my classes and most of my professors probably fell into that category as well. I think that Ni played the dominant role in my creations. All of my works contain what I can only call a "precision." I do agree with you on the differences between Se an Ni creations.

Lea T, I hope you can get your Wacom reinstalled and the AMV is pretty cool. I can only imagine how time consuming it must be.

Coriolis,

I was hoping you would respond to this post. I had a notion that you had an artistic streak in you. There's just something about the way that you respond to posters that speaks of a spark of unusual insight, objectivity and creativity. I have no doubt that your music has a powerful and insightful quality to it.

I asked this question because I had the privilege of working with an INTJ artist last week and was blown away. It was like working with a male clone of myself and at the risk of sounding arrogant, I'm going to say, it was awesome. We had the same ideas and worked like a pair of hands at the command of a single brain. It was amazing. We often finished each other's sentences and got each other's jokes. It was so cool and a little creepy. Anyway, we're thinking of going into business together. People are already asking for us to come paint for them. The project we did was a mural in a public place and the only reason I even asked for help [I have never done that before] was because the owners pushed the deadline up on me due to reasons beyond their control. Anyway, after having spent 5 years in art classes at the undergrad level, and not having encountered another INTJ artist, I was thrilled to work with one [he also trains with me in the martial arts, but we had no idea we could work so well in the business/art world together]. So, after last week's experience, I begin to wonder about other INTJ artists. I began to think that while we may not dominate the art world, that there must at least be more than most INTJ descriptions give credit to.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Every current, former, living or dead member of Tangerine Dream, I'd say.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I've tested as both, Stephano, so I'm not inclined to rule it out.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've tested as both, Stephano, so I'm not inclined to rule it out.

The Fe perspective is obvious though, to be honest. I don't see you being ruled by egoic Te.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
egoic Te...I've never heard it referred to as such. That's an interesting way to put it.

MacKellar

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I used to draw avidly when I was younger, though it would take me forever. I had to get every bit of it to my idea of perfect. I doodle now when I'm bored, but even then it's in a methodical sense that must be up to my standard. Now I do some photo editing and music videos. But both take me awhile because, again, it must be my idea of 'perfect.'

I've been a writer/storyteller for much of my life. Ghost stories as a kid, tall-tales, and when I discovered play-by-post role-play I was addicted. I like the challenge of constructing characters and laying out the world and plot lines. Sometimes I can get a bit too technical, trying to make sure everything fits. And I can take my research to a few degrees further than I need (but the research is half the fun.) I hope to eventually be able to be published.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not an artist myself, but I work in an artistic environment. My aspiration is to be a writer and I also really like photography. I love cooking too, which isn't credited enough as a creative outlet.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
egoic Te...I've never heard it referred to as such. That's an interesting way to put it.

Egoic Te = Te as an ego perspective.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I used to draw avidly when I was younger, though it would take me forever. I had to get every bit of it to my idea of perfect. I doodle now when I'm bored, but even then it's in a methodical sense that must be up to my standard. Now I do some photo editing and music videos. But both take me awhile because, again, it must be my idea of 'perfect.'

I've been a writer/storyteller for much of my life. Ghost stories as a kid, tall-tales, and when I discovered play-by-post role-play I was addicted. I like the challenge of constructing characters and laying out the world and plot lines. Sometimes I can get a bit too technical, trying to make sure everything fits. And I can take my research to a few degrees further than I need (but the research is half the fun.) I hope to eventually be able to be published.

First, I like your avatar.

Secondly, I wanted to get back to you earlier but didn't get to. I've actually been painting a mural today [with my INTJ partner, looks like we've a good thing going.] We're painting again tomorrow.

I was excited to read about your endeavors as a novelist. I write, too. In fact, I view writing very much as an art. I also love the challenge of constructing characters and plot lines. I also love to build worlds, complete with societies, languages, religions, mathematical systems, geological features. Anyway, when you decide to seek publication with your writing, and if you want any input, give me a holler. I have three novels with traditional houses currently on the market and am helping my Kung Fu master get a book ready for publication right now. What I'm saying is that I would be willing to give you some feedback if you wanted it. If not, there are some great online forums that are aimed at helping writers get published. Ironically, the thing that got me into writing was science fiction and I spent ten years studying genetics, geology, philosophy, religion and astronomy to construct a series of novels set on a world that I built and ended up getting my foot in the door as a mainstream fiction author. It appears that the largest reading audience is comprised of middle class women between the ages of 35 and 50 and their favorite books of choice are mainstream fiction. So, my sci-fi is waiting for the perfect moment to resurface on this planet. Still, as you say, half the fun is the research.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
Silversmith, and part-time comedian.

Hey, both of those are arts! Especially, making people laugh.

I'm not an artist myself, but I work in an artistic environment. My aspiration is to be a writer and I also really like photography. I love cooking too, which isn't credited enough as a creative outlet.

All of those things are certainly creative outlets.

Egoic Te = Te as an ego perspective.

Yeah, I can see how that could play out.