• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's: Does your brainstorming method anger people?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I'm an ENTP and it seems like my method of brainstorming often angers people. My method of problem solving can be described in this way: First, I gather as much data as I can to solve potential problems. Keep in mind, this data can come from several places: news articles, books, experts in the field, etc. After that, I then look at that data and see if it makes sense to me. If it makes sense to me, then I use it. However, I often times don't always use all of that information, and only use the information that makes sense to me specifically. This often pisses people off. Let me give you an example...

When I was in sales, I would quite often ask my managers for advice on how to sell more products. They would then give me advice, and I would often use quite a bit of their advice. However, I often times would reject what they said, and tell them that trying to sell someone in the particular way that they were pitching, didn't make sense to me and that I wouldn't use it. They would then get furious at me and then say things like, "But I'm the expert in this and been doing this forever! Why the hell wouldn't you take my advice?!!" and "Why the hell do you think that what you are gonna do is gonna work better than what I tell you to do?!!" I then still didn't care and went with what made sense to me. I ask people for advice and consult experts in order to gather data on how to potentially solve a problem and not in order to actually have people solve my problems for me. This angers a lot of people and I wind up with a lot of enemies due to my problem solving method.

ENTP's of typologycentral, do you find that you have the same problem?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't say that I haven't pissed off my share of people, but that type of brainstorming isn't used by me, so I can't say I can relate. Some people do get angry when you ask for advice though and don't use it. I imagine it feels like an ego stroke that turned into a punch.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I'm supposed to be the expert in my field of knowledge (and I'm paid for that), so no, I never had the kind of problem you mention. When I participate in "brain storms", usually people take great care to listen what I say. However, because I am an NP, I suppose my leading style is very different from most authority figures you have already met. I will never get furious, I'm open to any new idea, and I don't like to control my subordinates or the members of my research team. A good friend of mine once told me I was very egalitarian, "even when I really shouldn't", like, for instance, with my own students.

On the other hand, yes I've often been in conflict with administration, bureaucracy or people who insisted on the respect of strict hierarchical rules and procedures.

SpankyMcFly

Level 8 Propaganda Bot
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENTP's of typologycentral, do you find that you have the same problem?

Curious INFP here. “It is not what you say that matters but the manner in which you say it; there lies the secret of the ages.” William Carlos Williams. Ftr, I too struggle, sometimes mightily, trying to implement this. I like getting what I want (who doesn't?) and making unneccessary enemies along the way seems counter productive.

Results go a long way, if your methods work, show them this, nicely, hehe.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I can't say that I haven't pissed off my share of people, but that type of brainstorming isn't used by me, so I can't say I can relate. Some people do get angry when you ask for advice though and don't use it. I imagine it feels like an ego stroke that turned into a punch.

I wonder if it's an E6 thing?