• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: how do logical fallacies make you feel?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the West, we had the enlightenment.

The values of the Enlightenment include logic, reason and evidence.

Enlightenment also means "to fill with light."

People on the internet usually also have functioning lightbulbs.

Thus, their homes are fillled with light and are enlightened.

So people that use the Internet are filled with logic and reason, and cannot use fallacies.

I'll buy that.

for 2 cents.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
^ I'm pretty sure if you post things in a format where each paragraph is only one sentence long, this makes your statements unassailable cathedrals of logic. The shorter the paragraphs, the more logical the argument.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the West, we had the enlightenment.

The values of the Enlightenment include logic, reason and evidence.

Enlightenment also means "to fill with light."

People on the internet usually also have functioning lightbulbs.

Thus, their homes are fillled with light and are enlightened.

So people that use the Internet are filled with logic and reason, and cannot use fallacies.

I'm not yellow hat enough to buy that, I'm more black hat like [MENTION=3325]Victor[/MENTION]:
http://www.debonoconsulting.com/black-hat-thinking.asp

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yellow hat thinking sounds like Fi. [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Apparently I'm blue hat.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yellow hat thinking sounds like Fi. [MENTION=13589]Mal+[/MENTION]

Apparently I'm blue hat.

So you did visit the page then, [MENTION=4660]msg_v2[/MENTION]. Now you must practice wearing all the hats. Start with the white hat.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It annoys me that people don't take logical fallacies seriously.

Unfortunately they are only taken seriously by those who take logic seriously in the first place. They are basically rules of logic, but if no one is playing by the rules....

In any case those not adhering to them usually don't understand them anyhow. Even though I myself am not a particularly logical thinker or person.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Unfortunately they are only taken seriously by those who take logic seriously in the first place. They are basically rules of logic, but if no one is playing by the rules....

In any case those not adhering to them usually don't understand them anyhow. Even though I myself am not a particularly logical thinker or person.

They don't need logic, their conclusions are self-justifying personal beliefs.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
They don't need logic, their conclusions are self-justifying personal beliefs.

But sometimes self-justified personal beliefs are factually wrong and damaging, although this depends on the context.

However I see your point, they don't NEED logic. After all it is only an opinion that dictates that they should need it. As in: It is my opinion that they would benefit from an attempt to engage in logical thought processes.

Which functionally is Fe through Ti. And that's why i'm not logical.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But sometimes self-justified personal beliefs are factually wrong and damaging, although this depends on the context.

However I see your point, they don't NEED logic. After all it is only an opinion that dictates that they should need it.

It's my personal belief that logic is necessary.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Did you get a job yet?

Oh yeah, I just went back to my old Argos job about....7-8 months ago now and i'm starting a second job on Monday. Well, not quite, it's more of a 'when i'm not at Argos i'll pop over to my friends dad's house and help them out with their admin work'.

Invoicing and the like.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@rep that's not the white hat.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Another time I get really annoyed by logical fallacies is if the logical fallacies are commonplace.

I do really hate it when something that doesn't make sense is extremely commonplace. For instance, when people treat the statement "a positive attitude creates a positive situation" as an ironclad maxim, when it isn't.

It's something that is true for some situations, but not for others. And the thing that bugs me is that it's something that would be obvious if they just thought about it for minute. If that rule were true, it would effectively mean that victims of crimes must bring it on themselves.

If a person is robbed, they find themselves in a negative situation. Therefore, if it were possible to bring about a positive situation just by having the right attitude, this means that the found themselves in a negative situation as a result of their attitude. This is because, if they had a positive attitude, they would have found themselves in a positive situation, not a negative one. The mental states of the victim seem to play more of a role in the crime than the criminal!

There are many other cases where the "attitude" one has cannot possibly have an effect on the situation.

There are other examples of illogical thinking that are commonplace, because people repeat them either because they haven't thought about them, or they care more about how it makes them feel than how much sense it makes. That was merely the one that came to mind.