• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJ Description

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP

I attempt to paint a picture of an INTJ (figuratively...) in this video. Let me hear your feedback and critiques!

Discussion/Questions I have:
-Experiences with INTJs?
-For INTJs: What are some grand ideas or interesting perspectives you have that are related to Ni? Let me into your inner world. (INFJs feel free to answer too, or anybody with Ni)
-For INTJs: When do you get emotional?

Below is my unedited, in-depth portrait of an INTJ. I use the word "He" throughout it, but remember, of course, that there are female INTJs out there too. :)

Ni and Te:

Here's a guy who's calculating, analytical, and not afraid to look straight at reality for what it is. He knows he's right about something when evidence and the real world stares back at him with an affirming nod. He's confident in the agendas he pushes forward or the directions he gives to people because it's all based on that affirming nod, on the evidence. He thinks, how can you argue with this judgment when the evidence is right here? He will only change his opinion when new evidence expands his perspective OR contradicts what he originally saw. These judgments are rigid and solid. They're based on the constant and stable real world.

These characteristics are what everybody sees in the INTJ, they're the things that get outwardly shown. But these are not what define the INTJ. They're not the biggest part of what an INTJ is.

Contrary to what you may think, INTJs are, at their core, observers. But not observers of the outside world, observers of their inner world, of their own ideas and how their ideas are evolving. They devote most of their energies to experiencing. But not experiencing events or what's going on around them. Experiencing impressions. For instance, somebody makes a comment about religion. The INTJ experiences something intense from this comment, an intense impression is going on inside of them. Their energies focus in on how this changes their perspectives, their ideas, their previous judgments, their world view. They sense potential in this comment and start probing the person, asking further questions, seeing how this further changes the process going on inside them.

INTJs are impression junkies. They live for finding things that leave a lasting impression on them or that which transforms their thoughts into something completely new. Unlike Ne-doms, they focus on one thing or a few things at a time. Things that leave a lasting impression on them are near and dear to them. This concept or area study or whatever it is that piques their interest is what they're completely devoted to. If they drop that one thing then they lose a lot of progress and they have to search like a lost dog for something else that had just as high a magnitude of effect on them. This is unlike Ne-doms. The object holds no special significance to the Ne-dom. Once the surface level stimulation is exhausted, they uncaringly move on to the next thing that's stimulating.

Why is the cold, analytical nature needed? Where do the rigid judgments come into play? The perspectives and ideas that they have in their heads have the most potential when they align with reality as much as possible. When they are valid. Sound judgements are used as a filter to cut out ideas that don't align with the real world, those that hit a dead end in potential because of that misalignment. Te is the process they need for this. Ideas become are developed because of Te. Ideas cannot be built on top of if they have no part of reality serving as a base or reference point. They can not be developed. In order to develop their ideas and their perspectives Te is needed. It's like the structure and raw material that keeps a building standing up. It gives the ideas form and allows them to be developed and built upon.

Last edited:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
fyi, I deleted your duplicate thread in the MBTI subforum. for next time, just PM a mod and we can move your thread, no need to duplicate :)

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It seems based on this video that INTJs can take parts from the outside world and from them inside their minds forge them together into an ever evolving construction that can develop itself with coming contingencies.

In simple terms, you are saying that INTJs are good at coming up with ideas that can transform in accordance with the context.

I would imagine that this makes them very good at pushing concepts to the limit and from them generating maximum progress.

It's interesting how the external world is used as a focus point from which the internal world expands its own awareness.

Reality I guess is a great inspiration we can use to come up with new mental images, as everything in our mind seems to have its origins in our perceptions.

We need to see the present reality in order to build the vision of the immanent reality.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
First, let me say that I've watched your videos on youtube and I respect you and the effort you put into uncovering MBTI functions. Also, I'm not sure I'm INTJ as I sometimes test as an INFJ [Enneagram always comes out as a 5 though], but one thing that is constant in every test I've taken is that I have a high precentage of Ni, so I want to respond to your video and questions as honestly and candidly as I can to help you in your research, because I perceive that you strive for accuracy and sincerity in your work. In my opinion, you did a great job. Regardless of what anyone may say following my post, your video is dead on, at least for me, and if some expert of all experts feels the need to prove you wrong, thus proving me to be an ESFP or an ISTJ or some other unexpected combinations of functions, my verdict still stands.

Discussion/Questions I have:

-Experiences with INTJs?
--I can only say that I'm a lot like that. When I latch onto something and I know I'm right, I will push my agenda and come hell or high water, if I know I'm right, I will see it through to a successful end, if something happens or new evidence is presented that proves me wrong, then I'll admit to being wrong, re-evaluate and go at it from another angle. Maybe I will do so subtly, because you catch more flies with honey than vinegar, but still, I will do it. When something sparks inside me, I never give up.

-For INTJs: What are some grand ideas or interesting perspectives you have that are related to Ni? Let me into your inner world. (INFJs feel free to answer too, or anybody with Ni)
Wow, that could take awhile, but I don't have time to be long-winded, so I will give a single example of Ni at work during a daily situation in my life. It's a realtively weak example, but it's the first one that comes to mind. So, here goes: There was a certain member of our martial arts demo team that I had a gut feeling about on Sunday. I just had this sudden and unexpected realization that he was going to up and quit our team, back out. He had said nothing to lead me to this conclusion, but there were clues, the kind of clues that can only be picked up on intuitively, something about the way he held his head during our last demo and about the way he smiled and moved. Something about him was amiss, something that no one could have actually pin-pointed. I had picked up on these unspoken hints and I knew. Sure enough, yesterday morning, I got a text message from my fellow instructor that this member had quit.

-For INTJs: When do you get emotional?
You know the part of the video where you describe being in the meeting and someone makes a philosphical comment that leaves a lasting impression and the listener senses potential from the comment and latches onto it, devoting extreme focus on how it is changing their understanding? That is more me than anything I've ever read or heard in MBTI functions and yet, this video is the first place I've come across it phrased in such a way, very interesting. At any rate, when that latching onto an impression, that recognizing that some idea has the power to become something which I can develop into a reality, it is the most emotional thing in the world to me, because that is what I live for, and then of course, I am faced with the challenge of communicating that idea with others because unless people buy into an idea, it will never accomplish anything.

I am an observer of my inner world, of constantly elvolving perspectives and ideas, just like you described. That, in a nutshell, is the very essence of how my mind works.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
First, let me say that I've watched your videos on youtube and I respect you and the effort you put into uncovering MBTI functions. Also, I'm not sure I'm INTJ as I sometimes test as an INFJ [Enneagram always comes out as a 5 though], but one thing that is constant in every test I've taken is that I have a high precentage of Ni, so I want to respond to your video and questions as honestly and candidly as I can to help you in your research, because I perceive that you strive for accuracy and sincerity in your work. In my opinion, you did a great job. Regardless of what anyone may say following my post, your video is dead on, at least for me, and if some expert of all experts feels the need to prove you wrong, thus proving me to be an ESFP or an ISTJ or some other unexpected combinations of functions, my verdict still stands.

Awesome. I'm so glad to hear this.

You see, I took a different approach to making the video: I just created a hypothetical image of how I thought INTJ would be and kind of combined it with parts of INTJs I've known or seen. Then I tried describing that image. Then, I condensed my description as simply as possible without losing the meaning behind it. The full description is posted in the youtube description.

I read the rest of your post as well. It offered perspective and real life examples, which was what I was looking for.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
I'll definitely check out your description on youtube. I'm so glad my examples were of some benefit. I think your new approached worked well.

Last edited:

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Very interesting and good description! You found a new point of view into nature of INTJ I hadn't thought about earlier :)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, it gets to the basics but I don't feel it really captures the depth of the type either. It's late and I need to sleep so I might address this at a later point.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, it gets to the basics but I don't feel it really captures the depth of the type either. It's late and I need to sleep so I might address this at a later point.

I encourage you to add on to my description OR type out your own. Then, everyone will benefit. (Provided what you type out is on target ;) )

But yes, the description could be more fleshed out of course. It was designed for a youtube video though, so that's to be expected (unless I want to make the video longer, but the shorter the better on youtube).

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
It seems based on this video that INTJs can take parts from the outside world and from them inside their minds forge them together into an ever evolving construction that can develop itself with coming contingencies.

In simple terms, you are saying that INTJs are good at coming up with ideas that can transform in accordance with the context.

I would imagine that this makes them very good at pushing concepts to the limit and from them generating maximum progress.

It's interesting how the external world is used as a focus point from which the internal world expands its own awareness.

Reality I guess is a great inspiration we can use to come up with new mental images, as everything in our mind seems to have its origins in our perceptions.

We need to see the present reality in order to build the vision of the immanent reality.

I see I never responded to this. The way you worded this is really great and I appreciate it.

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I encourage you to add on to my description OR type out your own. Then, everyone will benefit. (Provided what you type out is on target ;) )

But yes, the description could be more fleshed out of course. It was designed for a youtube video though, so that's to be expected (unless I want to make the video longer, but the shorter the better on youtube).

Well, you could explain more how Ni actually operates as a cognitive perspective which I think is important. I've already written a bit about this:

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
Well, you could explain more how Ni actually operates as a cognitive perspective which I think is important. I've already written a bit about this:

Bravo. This thoroughly deepened my understanding of Ni in Ni-doms. Really, it was wonderfully written.

After reading this, I tried to think where my description might be lacking. My description is more oriented toward those looking for an immediate but shallower understanding than what you wrote. So, as long as I give a surface level/intuitive understanding of the major facets, my description serves its purpose.

So, the question now is, are there any major areas that I did not go into? Also, were the areas that I did describe on-target enough?

I think there is one thing I skipped out on:
The long-term distillation process.

I don't feel I completely hit the nail on the head for this facet.

Or maybe I did hit it on target enough? What other areas am I missing? If I just fill in those hypothetical areas, will the description be complete (for the purpose it is serving)? Or does the whole description itself need to be changed?

These are the questions I ask myself, and I think your feedback on them would be beneficial.

gandalf

MBTI Type
INTJ
That's great! What in particular was new to you?

Shortly put, the idea of INTJs being "impression junkies." I had never thought of it that way but now that I read it, it really makes sense to me.

I think you really came up with a point of view into the essence of being an INTJ I have never seen in any type descriptions before, and I dare to say that I have read quite a bunch of them :)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bravo. This thoroughly deepened my understanding of Ni in Ni-doms. Really, it was wonderfully written.

After reading this, I tried to think where my description might be lacking. My description is more oriented toward those looking for an immediate but shallower understanding than what you wrote. So, as long as I give a surface level/intuitive understanding of the major facets, my description serves its purpose.

So, the question now is, are there any major areas that I did not go into? Also, were the areas that I did describe on-target enough?

I think there is one thing I skipped out on:
The long-term distillation process.

I don't feel I completely hit the nail on the head for this facet.

Or maybe I did hit it on target enough? What other areas am I missing? If I just fill in those hypothetical areas, will the description be complete (for the purpose it is serving)? Or does the whole description itself need to be changed?

These are the questions I ask myself, and I think your feedback on them would be beneficial.

Well, as an Ni type I kind of resist your Si perspective all together not feeling it really hits the nail at all but always kind of side-stepping what INTJ is. INTJ is first of all Ni + T. Our dominant perspective is focused on Ni, and the way we apprehend Ni data is sorting it through with Te or sometimes also seeking new data in order to feed Ni models. This is the entire article I'm writing in very unedited form, so I apologize if the sections below Ni are messy as they are not finished:

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION]
I haven't read what you put in the spoiler yet.

To say it "not really hits the nail at all," I would have to disagree, as there have been several INTJs who have had profound reactions to the description.

Also, as a suggestion, I recommend that you don't have such bias against Si. It is probably overall harmful to your understanding and perspective. As an Si-user, I have no such bias against Ni.

Finally, I'll be sure to check out what you put in the spoiler when I get the chance, as I'm sure it's good.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
[MENTION=14042]gandalf[/MENTION]
Awesome! I almost left that phrase out thinking people would react negatively to it. Others have liked that phrase too, which is a nice surprise haha

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=16405]LeaT[/MENTION]
I haven't read what you put in the spoiler yet.

To say it "not really hits the nail at all," I would have to disagree, as there have been several INTJs who have had profound reactions to the description.

Also, as a suggestion, I recommend that you don't have such bias against Si. It is probably overall harmful to your understanding and perspective. As an Si-user, I have no such bias against Ni.

Finally, I'll be sure to check out what you put in the spoiler when I get the chance, as I'm sure it's good.

What I mean is that you describe it in very general terms that aren't inaccurate but they don't quite nail it either. And I am not saying I have an inherent bias per se, I am simply stating that what you think is accurate is not necessarily what I think is accurate. This should be discernable alone in the differences of our descriptions.

W

WhoCares

I didnt get a chance to understand any of it, it was just a busy montage of flashing images that distracted from anything you had to say. The video contained a lot of clutter, something I ferociously liberate myself from on a daily basis. Sensory overload.

Doctorjuice

MBTI Type
INTP
I didnt get a chance to understand any of it, it was just a busy montage of flashing images that distracted from anything you had to say. The video contained a lot of clutter, something I ferociously liberate myself from on a daily basis. Sensory overload.

This has been a common complaint for this specific video. Deviating slightly from what is normally done, in this video more pictures were added and they were displayed for a much shorter period of time. The negative feedback that I received was good because it allowed me to better grasp what the sweet spot is for how many pictures should be displayed and for how long.

What would be interesting would be to see how say ESFPs would react to that amount of pictures flashing for such short periods of time.

But rest assured, pictures will be handled differently in future videos.