• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] I'm not Really Aware of my Body

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm not really aware of my body.

S

Society

have you consider outsourcing your physical awareness?

G

garbage

Same. When I'm in some sort of pain or discomfort, my body is like a crying child who can't communicate properly.

Gives me a hell of a time talking to doctors. "Does this medication work?" "I.. huh, I dunno.."

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I'm not really aware of my body.

Can you be more specific?
I'm in 'therapy' right now for this problem, more or less. And it's working, I'm happy to say.
The therapist says that there is too much energy in my mind, and not enough in my body...
Is that how you feel?

pinkgraffiti

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
How about kundalini yoga? You can always do a trial lesson for free. Second idea: exercise. Exercise is important and there are so many different types that I'm sure you can find one that you like (ps. chess is not exercise :p)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I experience this to an extent.

- I'm not really aware of the temperature unless it's extremely cold or extremely hot, and people often say, "Aren't you freezing?"

- Like bologna, I'm not often aware of whether medicines are working.

- I don't experience changes in how I feel based on certain foods like a lot of people. Like, I don't notice caffeine having any effect either when I have it or don't. I don't understand when people stay away from certain foods because of how they might make them feel, like "Oh X food makes me gassy" or "X food makes me want a nap".

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Can you be more specific?
I'm in 'therapy' right now for this problem, more or less. And it's working, I'm happy to say.
The therapist says that there is too much energy in my mind, and not enough in my body...
Is that how you feel?

I don't feel energy, just more "presence" or consciousness in my mind. I put just enough energy out into the world to function.

S

Society

i was joking...

that's being said, i can relate - growing up i had a therapist who pointed out the same problem in me. he taught me a guided meditation technique i use to this day (actually the most helpful thing he ever did): you close your eyes, focus on your breathing and follow the oxygen as an entry point to visualize a journey throughout your body (brain included), commanding what you see along the way. and it works really well for me - i can feel muscles tensing when i am focused on them, fingers tingling, etc'. it heightens your sense of connection and familiarity with your body.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i was joking...

that's being said, i can relate - growing up i had a therapist who pointed out the same problem in me. he taught me a guided meditation technique i use to this day (actually the most helpful thing he ever did): you close your eyes, focus on your breathing and follow the oxygen as an entry point to visualize a journey throughout your body (brain included), commanding what you see along the way. and it works really well for me - i can feel muscles tensing when i am focused on them, fingers tingling, etc'. it heightens your sense of connection and familiarity with your body.

That's a good technique. Speaking of tingling, sometimes when I sit at a computer I get a tingling nerve sensation across the back of my neck. What could be causing that?

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I don't feel energy, just more "presence" or consciousness in my mind. I put just enough energy out into the world to function.

What is preventing you from putting more energy out in the world?

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
My INTP husband is the same way. It's funny sometimes. It also makes him perpetually rumpled, which is endearing to someone who has a Columbo fetish. :whistling:

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Not aware like that is is out of wack? or that it just disappears completely for a while?

I can relate to it being out of wack.... tend to have it all-or-nothing ("no I actually didn't realize it was only 60 degrees in the room" "I'm so cold! Someone get me blanket NAO!") Unfortunately lately it has been more overawareness.

But I'm not too sure why it would just not be there at all. Maybe too much internal focus? Dissociation-ishness?

Not sure where to work from without some examples...

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not aware like that is is out of wack? or that it just disappears completely for a while?

I can relate to it being out of wack.... tend to have it all-or-nothing ("no I actually didn't realize it was only 60 degrees in the room" "I'm so cold! Someone get me blanket NAO!") Unfortunately lately it has been more overawareness.

But I'm not too sure why it would just not be there at all. Maybe too much internal focus? Dissociation-ishness?

Not sure where to work from without some examples...

Lack of bodily awareness can lead to anything from a floating sensation to complete disassociation (out of body experiences). Pain forces me to focus more on my body, as with last week when I hurt my lower back and had to think before making any move that involved those back muscles. Since I now have a sit-down job, I made myself understand that sitting made my back muscles tighten up. But it was a couple more days before I started forcing myself to stand up more at work, and to walk around during breaks in order to loosen up those sore muscles. This helped the healing process along.

Living is very painful for me. It's almost as if my body is trying to tell me something.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I experience this to an extent.

- I'm not really aware of the temperature unless it's extremely cold or extremely hot, and people often say, "Aren't you freezing?"

- Like bologna, I'm not often aware of whether medicines are working.

- I don't experience changes in how I feel based on certain foods like a lot of people. Like, I don't notice caffeine having any effect either when I have it or don't. I don't understand when people stay away from certain foods because of how they might make them feel, like "Oh X food makes me gassy" or "X food makes me want a nap".

I'm sometimes like this regarding temperature.

I used to be more like this regarding food. I have developed more of an awareness- there are foods that seem to make me tired or make me stomach feel heavy. What's less obvious is how food affects me emotionally- I haven't really taken much notice. I know that caffeine will make me feel more energetic for awhile but that's about it.