• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Do any of you meditate ?

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
a few weeks ago, due to extreme lack of concentration i tried to meditate, and using different breathing techniques..well.. it still did n t help much,
i was calm but far from focused, and today was different, i was so in tune with myself and could also hear the surroundings but without breaking that state,
very interesting, but still not clarity and focus
so i would like to know if any of you meditate and how exactly do you do it and how it is for you

thank you

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do whimsical meditating without a professional setup in my head, a kind of zen-like state where I just completely detach myself from all external stimuli and think about stuff, introspect.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I do whimsical meditating without a professional setup in my head, a kind of zen-like state where I just completely detach myself from all external stimuli and think about stuff, introspect.
and could you describe that zen state?

R

Riva

I do. I do it every morning for 10 minutes after I come home from the gym. Atlest that is what I tell myself that I do.

Anyway there are two main branches of meditation: samatha/samadhi and vipassana.

Samatha is what most people do and most mediation techniques are a branch of/variation of samatha (including yoga). Basically samatha is a concentration meditation where one way or the other the purpose is concentration. The benefits of samatha are as in many emperical practices such as studying or sports etc are improved with practice and concentration. However one of the main weakness in samatha is its requirement of isolation or non disturbance to practice.

Then there is vipassana which is also called samadhi which was discovered (technically speaking re-discovered in buddhist terms) by buddha. Contrary to samatha, vipassana would benefit when disturbed because the practioner would experience more emotions, internal conflicts etc when occupied, bothered, when interacting etc.

Without going into much detail; a main difference between samatha and vipassana is; samatha suppresses, vipassana observes (one's thoughts, emotions, feelings and sensations).

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's focusing on something with all concentration and flowing with the emerging patterns, seeing where they lead and what kind of source they share.
I think a good metaphor for this is 'liquid-light'. It is a luminous fluid that can take on any shape and that our minds can perceive with clarity.
That may be a bit wordy, but basically, you just need to get 'in-rythm', and then we sail across a stream of consciousness.

It's kind of like how in Star Wars they say things like, "a Jedi's strength flows from the Force", or "your focus determines your reality".

W

WALMART

I can enter flow states fairly easily. I don't like dedicating my body to meditation, I prefer to enter a semi-rythmic physical activity where my mind can kind of wander - a videogame I'm skilled at, working a punching bag, biking.

The state I fall into is a bit of a physical experience. I lose vision, replaced with maybe a tunnel of blueish purple haze. I feel very disconnected, during these periods. My brother tells me he sometimes doesn't know why he talks to me if I'm at my computer, because even if I do turn as if I'm acknowledging him I'm still a thousand miles away, wrapped up in whatever I was doing. He'll have to repeat things three times before I can even slightly catch on to what he's saying.

My favorite concept thus far is no mind, but I prefer the term normal mind. I'm not convinced they are the same thing, though I hear they are.

I've attempted conventional dedicated meditation, but it's been pretty slow going. I understand there is purpose to this guided technique, I just don't think I'm disciplined enough yet to take advantage of it.

Good post, Riva.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I sit in the forest, in a surrounding that comforts me. When I have the jumping, monkey brain problem, I just count my breaths. I'm not particularly "good" at meditating, but it is helpful to me anyway.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
i tried it few times, but my mind just starts to think on its own. i just try to not think about anything and suddenly i realize that i have been thinking for the last 10 seconds or so, then i try again and fail again, then i try again and fail again etc etc. then im just like meh, why bother..

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
a main difference between samatha and vipassana is; samatha suppresses, vipassana observes (one's thoughts, emotions, feelings and sensations).
thank you, i did n t know this difference, you ve made me even more curious now, is any of them more than the other or less in any way?

That may be a bit wordy, but basically, you just need to get 'in-rythm', and then we sail across a stream of consciousness.
It's kind of like how in Star Wars they say things like, "a Jedi's strength flows from the Force", or "your focus determines your reality".
i don t thimk it s wordy, that "in-rythm" is what i m looking for and i ve been completely off these past months, thus searching meditation

I can enter flow states fairly easily. I don't like dedicating my body to meditation, I prefer to enter a semi-rythmic physical activity where my mind can kind of wander - a videogame I'm skilled at, working a punching bag, biking.
Good post, Riva.
isn t that just concentrating on a certain task ? i don t think i understand exactly what you mean

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
i tried it few times, but my mind just starts to think on its own. i just try to not think about anything and suddenly i realize that i have been thinking for the last 10 seconds or so, then i try again and fail again, then i try again and fail again etc etc. then im just like meh, why bother..

there s a technique for that, you re supposed to count in your head starting from 1 and when a random thought comes in you restart the counting,
it s pretty efficient

W

WALMART

isn t that just concentrating on a certain task ? i don t think i understand exactly what you mean

I think it's closer to anti-concentration. The action flows out naturally, thoughtless. I am no where near the action of my body. I think a popular term on the site is sensotardation.

I also habitually pace. People make fun of me because I have trouble sitting still, my mind just can't flow if I'm not moving.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
there s a technique for that, you re supposed to count in your head starting from 1 and when a random thought comes in you restart the counting,
it s pretty efficient

when you are counting, your mind isnt clear, so you cant get to a meditative state when you are counting -> autofail. or maybe its different for people who doesent think in words, but for me counting in my head is same as saying the numbers outloud..

I

Infinite Bubble

I'm not sure if it is classed as meditation, but I have irregular sessions where I will put on some ambient music and simply stare at the wall and focus on my breathing. I will then become in a trance state where I'm detached from everything and reality feels like a dream. The only reason I usually do it is when I want to figure something out or get new ideas. I allow thoughts to drift in and out of consciousness. After staring for some time, my vision becomes two-dimensional, like reality is just a flimsy photographic sheet. I will also see swirling clouds of green and purple pass over my vision, and begin to have minor pseudohallucinations. Then I can just snap out of it in a split second if I want. I believe this is a self-induced hypnagogic state actually.

Standuble

I don't know if it counts but usually my walk home from work (> 4 miles) does calm and relax me and is pleasant to the point where I don't care how long it takes. I don't know whether it counts as Kinshin as its completely different from the walking meditation process.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I also habitually pace. People make fun of me because I have trouble sitting still, my mind just can't flow if I'm not moving.
And how do you behave when you are focused on a task that requires prolonged concentration?

or maybe its different for people who doesent think in words, but for me counting in my head is same as saying the numbers outloud..
I think the ideea would be to focus on the order of the numbers as a singular thing into your head and see if that is interrupted by other random ones

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm not sure if it is classed as meditation, but I have irregular sessions where I will put on some ambient music and simply stare at the wall and focus on my breathing. I will then become in a trance state where I'm detached from everything and reality feels like a dream. The only reason I usually do it is when I want to figure something out or get new ideas. I allow thoughts to drift in and out of consciousness. After staring for some time, my vision becomes two-dimensional, like reality is just a flimsy photographic sheet. I will also see swirling clouds of green and purple pass over my vision, and begin to have minor pseudohallucinations. Then I can just snap out of it in a split second if I want. I believe this is a self-induced hypnagogic state actually.
It sounds like losing control of yourself, is it?

W

WALMART

And how do you behave when you are focused on a task that requires prolonged concentration?

I have next to no prolonged concentration for repititious mental tasks, like filing. Too much thought, too little action. However, I enjoy digging holes. Little thought, plenty action. My mind is free to wander.

I prefer a comfortable medium. I really enjoy working in a shop, fixing cars or woodwork or something. It's skillful enough to build knowledge but repititious enough to allow states of flow.

Thanks for the questioning btw, it's fun to explore myself :blush:

G

Ginkgo

I keep running into people who almost seem too obsessive compulsive to be willing to meditate. Yet, I doubt many who regularly meditate truly explore its potential on their first try.

I suspect that, for one who's experienced obsessive thoughts for most of their lives have little idea how to evaluate the notion of "focusing" because they have yet to experience the aftermath of a true trance. The attitude that precipitates from meditation feels more like freedom than concentration, yet it induces the clarity necessary to hold a single train of thought willingly. I think this sense of centered-ness ties into the vipassana technique [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] was referring too.

I can't help but think that there's some overlap between vipassana and samatha, at least in terms of the step-by-step process of inducing a trance that primarily resembles vipassana. For instance, [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] goes into the forest and recites a simple mantra by counting her breaths, which fosters a sense of awareness and focus. Yet, she also seeks out isolation to avoid distractions.

Do you think there's a distinction to be made, here, Riva? Where does one technique begin and another end?

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Thanks for the questioning btw, it's fun to explore myself :blush:
Anytime, i sometimes do this too, meaning that i play some memory game while listening to a podcast of a lecture, did i understand you correctly?

I keep running into people who almost seem too obsessive compulsive to be willing to meditate. Yet, I doubt many who regularly meditate truly explore its potential on their first try.

I suspect that, for one who's experienced obsessive thoughts for most of their lives have little idea how to evaluate the notion of "focusing" because they have yet to experience the aftermath of a true trance. The attitude that precipitates from meditation feels more like freedom than concentration, yet it induces the clarity necessary to hold a single train of thought willingly. I think this sense of centered-ness ties into the vipassana technique [MENTION=6164]Riva[/MENTION] was referring too.

I can't help but think that there's some overlap between vipassana and samatha, at least in terms of the step-by-step process of inducing a trance that primarily resembles vipassana. For instance, [MENTION=14857]fia[/MENTION] goes into the forest and recites a simple mantra by counting her breaths, which fosters a sense of awareness and focus. Yet, she also seeks out isolation to avoid distractions.

Do you think there's a distinction to be made, here, Riva? Where does one technique begin and another end?

Thank you for the reply, i have yet to understand what a true trance means. In regard to the types of techniques i am currently trying to understand them before having an oppinion,