• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NT Anthems

Bear Warp

MBTI Type
epyT
They fit the N, but not the T.

Personally, I would like a less whiny, lethargic, and samey-sounding band to represent my temperament.

2nded

King Crimson is a better choice in my opinion, even if their (Robert Fripp's) older stuff is a bit whimsical at times.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can't really think of many ENTJ anthems.

fugazi's bed for scraping is pretty NT.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
While perhaps not musically amazing, the second down album has some pretty heavy NT themes.

MBTI Type
ENTP
Radiohead became "samey-sounding" only after Radiohead became popular. The other thing is, many of their songs are far from lethargic... in fact, they're quite the opposite (much of Paranoid Android or Idioteque, for that matter). Also, as for the whiny bit... yes, that's true... much of Tommy York has a whiny feel to it. But I don't hold that against him. That's part of the aesthetic... you suck, I suck, we all suck (well, that's not it alone, but while we're generalizing).

I TOTALLY disagree with you when you say it doesn't hit on T... Radiohead is some of the most intelligent, cerebral rock out there.

Regardless... there are many NTs out there with vastly differing tastes... all that needs to be said for Radiohead is that there are a lot of NTs on this board, myself included, who love the band's music and feel it speaks for them. There are obviously other bands which will work better for other people. In the end, there'll never be a single band, book, or movie which encapsulates the NT...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Radiohead became "samey-sounding" only after Radiohead became popular. The other thing is, many of their songs are far from lethargic... in fact, they're quite the opposite (much of Paranoid Android or Idioteque, for that matter). Also, as for the whiny bit... yes, that's true... much of Tommy York has a whiny feel to it. But I don't hold that against him. That's part of the aesthetic... you suck, I suck, we all suck (well, that's not it alone, but while we're generalizing).

I TOTALLY disagree with you when you say it doesn't hit on T... Radiohead is some of the most intelligent, cerebral rock out there.

Regardless... there are many NTs out there with vastly differing tastes... all that needs to be said for Radiohead is that there are a lot of NTs on this board, myself included, who love the band's music and feel it speaks for them. There are obviously other bands which will work better for other people. In the end, there'll never be a single band, book, or movie which encapsulates the NT...
I agree with you on how booya's analysis of Radiohead as "lethargic, and samey-sounding" is wrong but they are NF.

Good music with lyrics is usually F-based. Music is often how NTs tap into their Sensor and Feeler sides.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I agree with MacGuffin. For whatever the creative merits of their music are, I don't see Radiohead as very NT. They're too whiny and ambiguous.

MBTI Type
ENTP
I agree with MacGuffin. For whatever the creative merits of their music are, I don't see Radiohead as very NT. They're too whiny and ambiguous.

Being an ENTP, I find that they express a lot of things with which I agree... maybe their ambiguity appeals to my P-function, I don't know... but I would think iNtuitive Thinkers would be at least able to appreciate the open-endedness... in addition, however, Radiohead has a lot of very concrete and definable terms.

So what is NT, as opposed to NF, music? Can't good music with lyrics have an NT basis? I believe I composed good music and had a good sense of it, but is that me using my secondary/tertiary Feeling functions? Then by definition, is T uninvolved in making good music?

I felt Bach was very emotionally powerful but could only have come up with his counterpoint using very strong T.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Being an ENTP, I find that they express a lot of things with which I agree... maybe their ambiguity appeals to my P-function, I don't know... but I would think iNtuitive Thinkers would be at least able to appreciate the open-endedness... in addition, however, Radiohead has a lot of very concrete and definable terms.

So what is NT, as opposed to NF, music? Can't good music with lyrics have an NT basis? I believe I composed good music and had a good sense of it, but is that me using my secondary/tertiary Feeling functions? Then by definition, is T uninvolved in making good music?

I felt Bach was very emotionally powerful but could only have come up with his counterpoint using very strong T.

I don't know. Music never really makes me get all logical. Music invokes feelings and moods for me. Some lyrical stuff can get me musing, but again usually not in a logical manner.

Perhaps that's the point of "NT Anthems". They let out our more hidden sides rather than reinforce our NTness.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
INTP anthem - Radiohead - Packt like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Box

My INTP ex husband used to listen to it aaaaallll the time - he didn't like any other Radiohead.

. . . "I'm a reasonable man. Get off my case... Get off my case...: :D

Seconded. Well, except the "man" bit. ;)

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't know. Music never really makes me get all logical. Music invokes feelings and moods for me. Some lyrical stuff can get me musing, but again usually not in a logical manner.

Perhaps that's the point of "NT Anthems". They let out our more hidden sides rather than reinforce our NTness.

Meh... you're the old-timer here (at MBTIc), but certain music and lyrics get me very 'thinky' and 'intuitive'. Meaning, I am prompted not only to feel various emotions, but to also ratiocinate.

Frank

"Normal like you"-EVERCLEAR

"Marche Slave"- Tchaikovsky

"Wake up"
"freedom"- Rage aginst the machine

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Electronic music: downtempo, IDM, ambient...I'm thinking Aphex Twin.

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Personally, I see NT's as full of hot air... (is he joking?) :)

The impression that I get from many of the NT people on the forum here, suggests that they would agree this piece fits them. I personally don't agree with it.

O'Fortuna (Carmina Burana) - Carl Orff

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Personally, I see NT's as full of hot air... (is he joking?) :)

The impression that I get from many of the NT people on the forum here, suggests that they would agree this piece fits them. I personally don't agree with it.

O'Fortuna (Carmina Burana) - Carl Orff

I have always found the phrase "hot air" a curious one. Please do expand on the many ways NTs are full of it.
(I'm not disinclined to agree with you ;))

Angry Ayrab

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, I am somewhere in the middle of seven brothers and my father and mother.

Father = ESTJ
Mother = IxFJ

three of my brothers are NT. We have ENTJ, INTJ, INTP. These guys and my father are the only T types in the family. Everyone else is a huge ass NF or SF. anyway.

Focusing on the NT guys, they always act super indipendent like they don't care what anyone thinks of them. They pretend that they are immune to all the mind shifting irrationality of us lesser mortals. They are arrogant inside their heads and really do think they are somewhat superior to others, you know the holier than thou attitude.

They pretend to be evil and uncaring, but this is the farthest from the truth.

Basically, I just see a whole smoke cloud of bad assitude, when really deep down inside they are nothing but super nice caring human beings.

----------------

No offense to INTJ's, this is just a personal account of my brother, he is probably my closest friend that manages to piss me off to no means with his stubborness and self sense of being superior to most. Back in high school, he used to tell me how he didn't care what anyone would think and wouldn't hesitate to mess some one up and blah blah blah. When some kid came and started ruffing him up once, he just froze, I watched for a second or two, because I really believed my big brother was the bad ass he claimed to be, but he just was frozen in terror. My brother gave a snide remark (something about not waisting his time with trash) and started walking away. I could see right through it that he was terrified, so I had to run in and blind side this goliath of a moron that was messing with my brother. When brother saw us both on the floor, he came back and started stomping the dude with so much hate, I had to stop him...

Well that was a shitty story from back when I was a kid, but this is when I personally realized that guys like my brother who seem to be badass are no different than everyone else in their fears, arrogance, and emotions. The only difference between people, was the attittude in which they chose to present themeselves. This was a while back when I was 16 and had no clue what MBTI was though.

I guess what I am trying to hit at, is that my personal experience with NT's is that they are actually sweet, candy filled nice people with a very nasty shell on the outside. Mind you these impressions were about young NT's, my brothers now are very well mannered balanced and healthy NT's now, and not immature anymore.

I just notice that alot of NT's on the net are still in the immature phase, well I guess alot of people on the net are in that phase, hell I am still growing and trying to mature... man, this was written with literally 48 hours of no sleep, so I really don't know what I just rambled, I need to clean this up in the morning and explain my self, when I wake up.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Wait up...MacGuffin, it was a suggestion by me, the INTj. :D