• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Let's talk about how Te, Ni, and Se manifest in the ENTJ

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
So I'm trying to understand the ENTJ mindset. Te is good at planning, taking action, creating step by step processes, researching, interpreting facts and utilizing them to come to conclusions, working with exact measurements, etc. Ni is good at seeing patterns, helping to discern what will happen in the future, understanding abstract concepts, seeing through things, seeing multiple sides of a situation, etc. Se is good at taking action in the present moment, good with details, good with picking up visual cues, etc. Now what I'm trying to figure out is how all of these functions manifest themselves in the ENTJ, and how they work together.

I've heard at least 3 ways that these functions manifest themselves in the ENTJ, and I'm wondering if they can manifest themselves in different ways in various ENTJ's, or if there is just one basic way they that manifest themselves. Here are the 3 ways that I have heard of...

1. The ENTJ first uses Te coupled with Ni to plan for quite a while, and then later takes pure action with Se. In other words the ENTJ may spend weeks or even months strategizing a master master plan, and then after that takes pure action. A good example of this would be like a military general in a war spending months planning a battle and planning every aspect of that battle to the smallest detail, and then taking pure action to defeat the enemy.

2. The ENTJ can literally use Te, Ni, and Se all at the same time. In other words, the ENTJ can be working on a task diligently and at the very same time they are working on a task can be also thinking at the same time and strategizing. So basically, I guess this would almost be like how an ESTP uses their thinking function, but except they could be strategizing at the same time, while they are taking action.

3. The ENTJ's mind literally works like a windows computer. What I mean by this is that the ENTJ can be strategizing and planning for the future, and then can switch over and use pure Se in the moment, but can't use both functions at the same time. I say that this is almost like a windows computer because it's almost like the ENTJ has two windows tabs open in their mind: one where they are doing research and planning for the future, and one where they are literally working on an assignment. So it would almost be like switching from one tab to the other.

So ENTJ's how do these functions manifest themselves in you?

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
What? So nobody can answer my question? What about [MENTION=7280]Lark[/MENTION]

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1) seems to be the closest to how I do business. I'd say though that the process of implementation isn't purely Te-Se. As you're acting, there's always a sort of meta-awareness of how you're lining of the shot and what the repercussions might be. To that extent, we pretty much always are Te-Ni. A well-executed plan should really be more of an automated process. We aren't constantly changing things "in the moment", but are more sufficiently aware of the present to feed the data back to Ni and troubleshoot effectively as problems arise.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
1) seems to be the closest to how I do business. I'd say though that the process of implementation isn't purely Te-Se. As you're acting, there's always a sort of meta-awareness of how you're lining of the shot and what the repercussions might be. To that extent, we pretty much always are Te-Ni. A well-executed plan should really be more of an automated process. We aren't constantly changing things "in the moment", but are more sufficiently aware of the present to feed the data back to Ni and troubleshoot effectively as problems arise.

Can you go into a little bit more detail on that one?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So are you thinking and acting at the same time, or are you thinking, planning, and then taking pure action?

I think of it as informed action, I suppose. Under normal circumstance, I don't make a move without thinking about it connects back to my larger goal, or what its more global implications are. Everything is weighted in terms of the big picture. This weighting process, however, happens fairly rapidly for me (unconsciously, even) because my thinking is so deeply habituated to contemplating things in terms of end goals. The answer to your question, then, is that it's just not that clear cut, because all actions are being taken based on predetermined (planned) parameters. Some actions are more choreographed; others are more spontaneous, but the set of plausible courses of actions itself is dictated in your planning. I hardly even entertain things beyond that.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think of it as informed action, I suppose. Under normal circumstance, I don't make a move without thinking about it connects back to my larger goal, or what its more global implications are. Everything is weighted in terms of the big picture. This weighting process, however, happens fairly rapidly for me (unconsciously, even) because my thinking is so deeply habituated to contemplating things in terms of end goals. The answer to your question, then, is that it's just not that clear cut, because all actions are being taken based on predetermined (planned) parameters. Some actions are more choreographed; others are more spontaneous, but the set of plausible courses of actions itself is dictated in your planning. I hardly even entertain things beyond that.

So in other words, sometimes you can take pure action, and at others you are thinking and taking action at the same time?

Shadow Monarch

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am exactly the same way everything I do serves my grand goal in life if it doesnt serve my goal I dont do it also I have every day schedule(tactical plan) and long term goals(strategic plan) but I can adapt very well when situation calls for it

yeghor

Te = Tactical planning and managing/rallying resources
Ni = Forecasting, Prediction
Se = Spontaneity/Reflexes, acting in the moment (agency)

ENTJ tries to predict outcomes, choose the optimal action plan but also plan for contingencies. If all those fail, it can switch to Se to act in the moment and make spontaneous changes to the overall plan until the unforeseen obstacle in the immediate environment is dealt with.

INxJs, due to having the least Se strength, are like deers in the headlights if things do not go according to their plan/forecast and need to withdraw until they can revise/resume their plan.