• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] INTJs and planning ahead

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established in my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Any other INTJs like this? Also, I wonder how others might react to being part of this master plan that someone else has set up.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I plan ahead...for tomorrow. :D

It's fascinating to hear about how others do it, and how even the long-range planners face some costs to their way.

S

Society

interesting... tell me: do your plans form into a tree of branching out possibilities from where you are now, or are they more like an upside-down tree finding various paths that could lead you to where you want, or linear in nature, or like looking for opportunities to set the cogs of your life-machine into place? something completely different? can someone give me a visual (or perhaps thinking about it visually is my error in understanding)?

it's something i have noticed this between me (persumably ENTP) and my (probably INTJ) father, i retain the habit from him but seem to do it quite differently... and i am not exactly sure in what way.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established on my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Any other INTJs like this? Also, I wonder how others might react to being part of this master plan that someone else has set up.

I think every INTJ is like this to some degree. Of all the things that give me a warm, secure, calm feeling, planning and planning ahead is right at the top of the list. I have developed flexibility over time but it's not my natural way. I never see myself not enjoying the present because of planning. The people around me are part of my master plan but I am not controlling them - just their presence in my plans. They're all aware of this.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
interesting... tell me: do your plans form into a tree of branching out possibilities from where you are now, or are they more like an upside-down tree finding various paths that could lead you to where you want, or linear in nature, or like looking for opportunities to set the cogs of your life-machine into place? something completely different? can someone give me a visual (or perhaps thinking about it visually is my error in understanding)?

it's something i have noticed this between me (persumably ENTP) and my (probably INTJ) father, i retain the habit from him but seem to do it quite differently... and i am not exactly sure in what way.

No branching - just a small number of goals - with a number of incremental steps, taken with the aid of a sort of divining rod. The upside down tree is a better visual but that's not quite it because I don't think a lot about different options. I tend to gravitate to one incremental choice at a time. There are also a small number of principles that guide the direction and each of those steps.

Yes, other INTJs plan ahead, too. And dogs bark.

The thing is I think this is vastly different than other people think. I don't know anybody IRL that does this (even the two INTJ school friends that I've kept in touch with don't seem to).

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
When my INTJ daughter was 10 years old, her dance teacher told her that in 7 years (if she continued her studies) she could become a dance teacher too, and this appealed to her. She incrementally accomplished every smaller task leading to that accomplishment. She has always been able to focus on that kind of vision - she plans nearly everything in her day to achieve what she wants to accomplish in that day and it gives her great satisfaction to see the day unwind the way she pictured it.

She's 22 now; when she can't see at least a few years ahead, she finds it quite stressful. She's soon to graduate from university and this uncertainty of what comes next is uncomfortable for her - but the strands are gradually coming together in a way that's shaping her near future at least, and this provides her with a sense of security.

Hetha

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I can't think of anything more unsettling in my own personal life, than when my plans have derailed. Whether branching or small incremental steps to get back on track, I did manage to get back to my plans, and now the wiser for possible outcomes, whether in my favor or not. I've learned how to better plan as a result, and refine my abilities to plan over time and circumstance. Multiple backup plans, yet I still retain my focus on my main plans. That's how I've always rolled.

I don't know a lot of INTJ's IRL, but the few that I do know are never typical by any stretch of the imagination.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I have lived my life planning for the future. The time horizon is at least several years out and at times has been as much as 30 - 40 years. It has been central to my way of living in that little decisions and actions in the short term are slowly but gradually intended to achieve these long term goals that I have established in my head. Things are very calculated in a way. It covers a broad spectrum of things - career, life goals, relationships, etc. I sometimes don't enjoy the present enough because I am too focused on the future.

Even though it might take a while and maybe you would see this as a bit of an annoying request...but could I hear about some of these plans?

Nicki

Retired

I do the exact same thing and I'm an ENTJ. I don't want life to control me, I want to control life and get my desired results. I don't like wasting time doing things that won't matter in the long run.

Faceless Beauty

Transient
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w8

I do that as well. Life is just a massive master plan that I come back and adjust after various things occur that might obstruct the original plan. I have a general idea of where I want things to go, but the details can be worked out once I get to those stages.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Even though it might take a while and maybe you would see this as a bit of an annoying request...but could I hear about some of these plans?

Examples would be:

I planned from the time I was in third or fourth grade that I was going to be High School valedictorian. I took a “rest” when I was in 5th and 6th grade because I was concerned about the people who seemed to burn out and that I might be one of them – so I got Bs and Cs after being a pretty good student beforehand. Then in 7th and 8th grade, in alignment with the plan, I upped my performance several notches – got a few Bs, but competed head on with the people who were the smartest in the class in the most difficult courses consciously trying to beat them. When I started High School, I figured out the points system with honors classes the first semester of freshman year. It was a bit of a challenge because I realized if you got all As, your GPA was highest if you took the fewest classes. This was contrary to my goal to learn stuff to get better positioned for college, which I knew would be hard. In the end, I decided it was more important for me to learn more and so I took more classes. The strategy throughout all of high school was to do the absolute minimum amount of work to get an A. I was very good at it. Unfortunately, I got a C on my first AP Calculus test the final semester, eliminating the possibility of me getting an A in that class, so I was not Valedictorian (even if I had gotten the A, another guy would have had a higher GPA because because he took the minimal classes every semester; I was prepared to lodge a complaint but it never came to fruition). I came pretty close to my goal though.

In High School, I did a lot of research on colleges during freshman year. I really wanted to go to Harvard, MIT or Stanford or one of those types of schools. However, I realized sophomore year that if I did that, I was going to have to take out massive loans. I really did not want to be in debt upon graduating and thought about the tradeoff between going to a better school and the cost. I did research on starting salaries. The salaries for people graduating from these elite schools was not high enough to justify the additional cost, so I decided that I’d go to a less expensive school. I decided on a double major senior year because it was a rare combination that would be in high demand. I looked at options for a school in my state (because it was a lot cheaper), including considering a number of factors related to these schools – how hard they were to get into, quality of the programs, the male/female ratio at the school and things like that. Two schools had a similar quality program, though one was a far better school overall. Unfortunately, the better school had a male to female ratio of 2 to 1. At the other school, which was an emerging program, 55% of the students were female. I thought there was a good chance I’d meet someone that I’d marry in college and that having a better selection of women was more important than the quality of the school, so I picked the school with the higher female to male ratio. It was an easy decision. On women - I had a list of things I was specifically looking for but won’t get into that. I worked through all of college both during the year and in the summer, I made enough to pay for about 60% of my college education. My parents paid some and I took out a couple of loans. When I graduated, I ended up owing about one years worth (20% of college cost).

When I graduated from college, I didn’t have a job. Unfortunately it was in the middle of a severe recession. I researched a number of companies. I looked at the industries that were projected to have the highest growth, evaluated who were the the best to work for, who was profitable and other things like that. In the end, I narrowed it down to 60 companies – from very small to very large - though I preferred the smaller ones because I thought they would have better growth prospects. After three months, I had a job at a large company that was starting up a new subsidiary. I was one of the first people hired and got a job on the ground floor in the technology area. Since I was a small child, I had been very ambitious. I wanted to succeed professionally and financially. I had an end goal – to reach a certain level of management and to achieve a certain level of financial resources. I thought about scenarios that could be disruptive – like a future depression, potential health issues, loss of a job, etc. My goal was to have enough money that I woudn’t have to worry about it if one of these things did happen and also I wanted a reasonable level of comfort in my life. So, I saved a fair amount of my salary from the very beginning – as much as I could afford. I have sustained that through this day. I would periodically do net worth calculations and future projections, using net present value or internal rate of return methods, looking out X years, making assumptions on certain things. At one point, I wanted to buy a used convertible which was expensive. I ran a calculation as to the money I spent and how much it would accumulate with a reasonable rate of return to if I had it in savings. It was a hard decision because I knew the long term cost was very high but I bought the car. It was a very conscious decision - thinking about short term pleasure vs. long term goals (you only live once - right?). I've done this kind of calculation on a number of other similar decisions - house, real estate, etc.

At one point, five years into my work career, I decided to shift my focus into a different area than I was working. Though I didn’t really have any facts to support it and my logic was flimsy at best, I was convinced that some day this particular area would be important. I went in it and got into this area very early. I was interested in it of course but my main motivation was the future growth opportunity and how that would translate into how well I would do. I got a masters in a related area, doing independent study and focusing research as much as I could on this area of interest. The idea was to have a differentiated knowledge set – to have things that others did not. I could see the way things were going and that a lot of the people working in this area had major gaps in skills related to how things would unfold in the future. I did ok in this career path but I had gotten into it too early. It didn’t take off nearly as quickly as I thought it would. I was working in an internal company staff position, also limiting upside potential because I was overheard and not adding to revenue. I stuck with it and ultimately shifted from the cost side to the revenue side (consulting). Ultimately, this area did take off and I was in the right place in the right time. My career shot upwards pretty quickly after that. I began traveling a lot globally because I was an expert and had some unique skills that were in high demand. I also did very well as far as progressing upwards.

I could go on but that should give you an idea.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
[MENTION=8936]highlander[/MENTION] Thanks! That's very interesting.

What is interesting and most easily noticeable is that a lot of this seems to be logistical planning and in fact...very pragmatic sounding. Of course I would imagine that is how Te appears to most people; as a logistical pragmatic series of judgments. I'm glad you told me about this, it is interesting to see that Ni can lead to very practical applications.

It's funny though, because this isn't far off how my mind works when aiming towards something. But in my case it is more about emergent problems that will occur later on in life that I should prepare for, or rather conserve for.

Scheherezade

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
i also like planning, (and lists) but i don t see myself writing on a piece of paper the job i will have when i m 45, there are small goals until then and each and every one of them has their path but eventually they all lead towards the one thing,
:)

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always think a little bit ahead, when it comes to my day to day life, or various situations. I may do things to try to take control of my circumstances, but I am pretty flexible and find an alternate outcome if things don't go as planned. I may think of possible things that can come up, what I could do in that situation, and inwardly debate the different possibilities.

I do have an overarching goal of what I want to do in the future, how I'm going to get there, but there are some details that aren't 100% planned out. Achieving a degree, different experiences that can be built up, etc. I often think about days, weeks, months in advanced, what I will do, what I will say in different situations, etc. I am not very good at making decisions unless I have thought a lot about the different options and possibilities in advanced.