• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs and Depression..

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
How do INTP's deal with depression?
Do they seem more F-ish to the outside world when depressed?

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

This invariably leads to what one may call a Ti overdrive. Intensely focused on their own interests. Often immobilized and focused on their inner life where they think intensely, but have little to think about because they have neglected their perceiving functions.

Feeling is used least frequently at times like these, at least consciously, yet at times it becomes supressed to the point where it manifests in major outpourings and outlashes.

Because Thinking is used very intensely, the INTP is critical of all things that come by him. Most thoughts are accompanied by negative other functions, as they are all supressed by Introverted Thinking. The less comfortable we are with using a function, the more negative our attitude will be towards that faculty. The most negative of all shall be Feeling. The INTP will be misanthropic. Attitude towards the concrete external world will be profoundly negative( negative Si), he will be neglectful of physical activity and sensuality.

Lastly, Extroverted Intuition will be negative as well. The attitude towards all of the external world, and even the loftiest of visions will be depreciatory. The INTP will on spot criticize ideas that have often appealed to them and are greatly stimulating.

Since depression will steer the INTP intensely inward, he shall be caught in the onslaught of Thinking and Introverted Sensation. Since Introverted Sensation is supressed the INTP will be haunted by unconscious impulses of supressed memories that have made a great impact on them (Si, as opposed to Se focuses on memories that have impacted the individual rather than the external environment).

Most of all, the INTP will be haunted by unconscious impulses stemming from Extroverted Feeling which often results in confusion (as well as the aforementioned profoundly negative attitude towards people and the social network) about how to deal with people and awkward, overly complicated and often inappropriate emotional attachments.

---------------------------------------------------------------

The excessive reliance on Thinking will steer the INTP into the 'must be strong and competent at all cost' mentality. Thoughts will likely be very clear and profound, however, because there shall be little access to Extroverted faculties the INTP struggle to express them adequately. For the same reason, most if not almost all of INTP's ideas will be difficult to apply to the external world.

mollyowens

MBTI Type
ENTP
One thing I've read about depressed INTPs is that they turn to excessive sensory pleasures--eating too much, drinking too much, driving too fast, etc. I once lived with a depressed INTP who absolutely fit this profile, and although I can't be sure of what was going on in his head it seems to fit the theory. I think the idea is that sometimes when an INTP is not functioning well, his normal problem solving (dominated by Thinking and Intuition) is not working. Absent his strongest coping mechanisms, he turns to Sensing, but because this isn't his preferred way of dealing with things it's played out in a dysfunctional way.

Another sign of a stressed INTP is the ability to argue any point ad nauseum without ever settling on any one decision. INTPs aren't the most decisive people anyway, and when they are unhappy they can take themselves on endless mental and analytical loops.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One thing I've read about depressed INTPs is that they turn to excessive sensory pleasures--eating too much, drinking too much, driving too fast, etc.

:whistling:

Another sign of a stressed INTP is the ability to argue any point ad nauseum without ever settling on any one decision. INTPs aren't the most decisive people anyway, and when they are unhappy they can take themselves on endless mental and analytical loops.

:whistling:

Ilah

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have had a few episodes with depression, some of them pretty serious. Depression does not always manifest in major crying spells and breakdowns. A stronger criteria is a complete lack of the good emotions. For example, things that you used to enjoy no longer give pleasure. This is one of the official symptoms of depression.

I would say although I had an occasional outburst (on average maybe once a month, and not usually in public) for the most part I tried very hard to hide these feelings from others.

I think I was even more likely to keep my emotions private than I am normally. I certainly didn't want people around my to know of my private struggle.

I think I leaned heavily on the T part during this period. It seems like when I could focus on something logical or a serious book it helped derail the negative train of thoughts a bit. Actually even repeating the times table could often help pull me toward neutral.

I don't know if I really overindulged in sensing during this time. I did overeat, but this was because sugar and chocolate can provide a temporary mood boost. I don't think I indulged my senses more than normal. Because of the whole not feeling pleasure aspect there wasn't much point.

Ilah

norepinephrine

MBTI Type
INTP
Procrastination of life.

I have had a few episodes with depression, some of them pretty serious. Depression does not always manifest in major crying spells and breakdowns. A stronger criteria is a complete lack of the good emotions. For example, things that you used to enjoy no longer give pleasure. This is one of the official symptoms of depression.

I would say although I had an occasional outburst (on average maybe once a month, and not usually in public) for the most part I tried very hard to hide these feelings from others.

I think I was even more likely to keep my emotions private than I am normally. I certainly didn't want people around my to know of my private struggle.

I think I leaned heavily on the T part during this period. It seems like when I could focus on something logical or a serious book it helped derail the negative train of thoughts a bit. Actually even repeating the times table could often help pull me toward neutral.

I don't know if I really overindulged in sensing during this time. I did overeat, but this was because sugar and chocolate can provide a temporary mood boost. I don't think I indulged my senses more than normal. Because of the whole not feeling pleasure aspect there wasn't much point.

Ilah

"Procrastination of life" is a very good fit, but I've bolded what applies to how I feel from Ilah's post.

I was actually going to post over the weekend regarding the sudden realization that I am not currently at all depressed. If I get up on a Saturday morning and vacuum, sweep, empty the refrigerator, clean the bathroom and mop, my mental state must be pretty damn good.

And my damned hip and knee quit cramping/twinging/aching. So is that because I'm not depressed, or is the lack of depression because I'm not in pain?

Screw it, I'm going to find an excuse for a walk.

colmena

señor member
MBTI Type
INXP
I think answered more as a result of depression than dealing with it. 'though I'm not absolutely sure what dealing means.

'F-ish,' not me, personally, the opposite. I go completely sterile unless I'm having a little attack of mania. (oxymoron? you know what I mean).

I don't deal with it. I hide and hope it goes away.

mippus

you are right
MBTI Type
Intp
Enneagram
5w6
'F-ish,' not me, personally, the opposite. I go completely sterile unless I'm having a little attack of mania. (oxymoron? you know what I mean).

I don't deal with it. I hide and hope it goes away.

same here...
but it never does go away, does it?

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
I go sterile, too . . . until I break down into a heaving pile of tears out of nowhere.

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
I have a question regarding the OP.

Does the following resonate with those whom are undergoing or have had depression?

I tear things apart so much that I've forgotten how to build anymore.

My best friend has been depressed for a little over a year and the aforementioned passage seems to fit his behavior. To me, it seems as if overtime when things become shredded into pieces, you'll eventually have nothing. Yet you'll fortuitously have everything to build with. I guess when there is nothing left to rip apart, things start to formulate into a part of something greater?

cliff notes: Secondary Ne can not keep up with a hyper Ti.

Thoughts?

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP

I generally shut off all my lights, lay in bead and just think. I just play scenarios out in my head in regards to what is bothering me, and I seldom voice what really troubles me to anybody. If anything I think I'm less F when depressed.

And really, the difference between happy me and depressed me is in millimeters.

dividend

MBTI Type
INTJ
So how does depression affect your sex drive, if you're in a relationship with regular access to sex?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Depression impacts people differently.

I'm thinking it will generally go one of two ways: Either you will totally have no drive whatsoever (no interest) because you're so unmotivated and indifferent and miserable, or you'll act insatiable for awhile trying to get past the numbness and create some sort of sense of excitement for yourself.

I think, though, typically in the end, you'd run out of steam either way and just withdraw and become completely apathetic and detached, no drive.

(after all, INTPs usually get more detached than ever when depressed, and withdrawn... and sex usually is never "free," it always brings relational obligation, and the INTP would shy even more away from that)

WeirdScience

MBTI Type
INTX
Well I'm kind of in between types but when I went into a period of depression it was awful. Nothing is really satisfying. You just sink into your own little world. Its really hard to get out of because of a reluctance to talk with anyone about it. I would also get very spacey and detached like Jennifer said.

I think the worst is that you are constantly thinking about the same subject, whatever it is with no external input. You really just end up going nowhere.

Conclusion: Take more happy pills.

TPol

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5sp
I generally shut off all my lights, lay in bed and just think. I just play scenarios out in my head in regards to what is bothering me, and I seldom voice what really troubles me to anybody. If anything I think I'm less F when depressed.
And really, the difference between happy me and depressed me is in millimeters.

All true for me, as well. IRL, only my hubby is intuitive enough to know I'm depressed (and not always). If someone knew, they wouldn't realize to what degree I was depressed.

When I used to be able to do so, I withdrew completely. Now that I cannot (work directly with the public a lot), I notice I have a strange way of dealing with it. Since I know I tend to get abrasive or icy numb when wanting to withdraw but cannot, I overcompensate and go the other way. Rather than get reckless or turn to destructive behavior (either on myself or others), I actually get gregarious...outgoing. Kind of like I fling myself out there just to see what the world does to me. Ironically, people like that me better. Then, I get lost behind the facade. Then, everything seems so fake and repugnant. Then, eventually, after this stage, I get almost desperate for solitude....to be able to withdraw. To go crawl into a cave somewhere and never come out.

I'm thinking it will generally go one of two ways: Either you will totally have no drive whatsoever (no interest) because you're so unmotivated and indifferent and miserable, or you'll act insatiable for awhile trying to get past the numbness and create some sort of sense of excitement for yourself.

I think what I described above is sort of an attempt at the latter way you describe here, Jennifer.

And, then, this, as you also said:
I think, though, typically in the end, you'd run out of steam either way and just withdraw and become completely apathetic and detached, no drive.

musicheck

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Ti overdrive definitely describes me pretty well when things aren't going so well. I usually devalue my negative emotions and develop some self-hate about allowing myself to be so weak. This disgust with emotion can also lead to being extremely cold to other people and showing little or no facial expression other than a seething yet calm glare. When I am forced to interact with too many people for too long when feeling awful, I simply shut down and stop responding to social stimuli. When it reaches this point, I'm usually restraining monstrous rage, so I could see how this would lead to the fabled INTP explosion if it got even worse.