• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] My theory that explains why ENTP's like to argue so much

S

Society

I've often noticed that ENTP's tend to argue things tooth and bone even if they know in their hearts that they may be wrong about something.

its actually when i think i am probably wrong that i have the highest expectations of the other side's counter arguments, the lighter a rock is the more surprising it is when it does't get kicked once you put it in someone's way.

for me, this goes hand in hand with getting closer to the truth: the most trustworthy explanations are the ones that would break at the slightest sign of being incorrect, and are given as many opportunities to do so - it also helps if i make sure there are those who'd be invested in breaking it (thus finding someone to argue about it with). i suppose this makes me seem quite fickle, as it makes the road from devil advocacy to advocacy is a very short one.

essentially, i trust fragility.

Argumentation is not only seen as a tool for greater understanding but also a battle of intellects: the ENTP's intellect vs. the other person's intellect, and I know that if there is one thing that ENTP's hate, it is to look like a fool intellectually.

this is consistent with the intellectual-ego explanation, but it brings to mind a different possibility altogether:

what if the overarching principle isn't the answer to why we argue, but rather, the simple fact we do so?

think about it: you can be a crafter to make your own tools, you can be a crafter to make a living and feed your family, you can be a crafter to compete against others of your trade and show off, you can be a crafter for the innovation opportunities, you can be a crafter for the zen like experience of it.... but in all of those cases, the main reason you became a crafter isn't any of those - you became a crafter because you were good with your hands. it sounds shallow compared to all the other reasons, but its essential to our nature - humans use their strengths, skills and talents like a peacock uses it's tail. the justifications and choice to keep doing it come later.

maybe we simply find reasons to do it because.. we're good at it.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
i have been wondering where this infamous argument side of entps is, ive never seen it. but maybe thats cause im a nine so i tend to view every view as correct and part of the whole dynamic, so i agree with everything and if something doesnt make sense to me, ill simply be in utter denial of its existence labeled as nonsense. but thats more than likely just my stupidity, of my current understanding of the whole failing to fit everything in due the whole being like a puzzle, and you cant know where to put pieces without adjecent pieces! so i ignore them until i have those adjecent pieces. reality is a huge puzzle for us Ni dominants.

in fact the word argument doesnt seem to make much sense to me, it doesnt seem to exist in my world O_O.. or maybe im just in denial of it? theres just information exchange, and disruptions are to be ignored and expected. i prefer the word misunderstanding to describe the closest thing to an argument for me.

sometimes i can crush others, but from my perspective it happens smoothly even though i do it with extreme intensity *whistles*, yeah, in my ninenish comfortable denial =D..

but i guess cause im an infj, its my role to be the synthesizer. so that might distort my view.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]

this is consistent with the intellectual-ego explanation, but it brings to mind a different possibility altogether:

what if the overarching principle isn't the answer to why we argue, but rather, the simple fact we do so?

think about it: you can be a crafter to make your own tools, you can be a crafter to make a living and feed your family, you can be a crafter to compete against others of your trade and show off, you can be a crafter for the innovation opportunities, you can be a crafter for the zen like experience of it.... but in all of those cases, the main reason you became a crafter isn't any of those - you became a crafter because you were good with your hands. it sounds shallow compared to all the other reasons, but its essential to our nature - humans use their strengths, skills and talents like a peacock uses it's tail. the justifications and choice to keep doing it come later.

maybe we simply find reasons to do it because.. we're good at it.

Makes sense.
[MENTION=15003]Vilku[/MENTION]

Really? You've never met an argumentative ENTP? Where have you been man?

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
[MENTION=15291]Mane[/MENTION]

Makes sense.
[MENTION=15003]Vilku[/MENTION]

Really? You've never met an argumentative ENTP? Where have you been man?

in a box, in a box.. like the rest of people in my culture. and i probably agree with entp's too much for there to be any resemblance of an argument, if i dont, then i pretty much save whatever they said into my head until i have contemplated how it makes sense. although i always try to see what they mean even if i fail in my current understanding to grasp it, cause i know how valuable information an entp's thoughts are.

its probably really hard to create an argument with me, considering im an infj, nine and so sx. that creates an almost ridiculous combo of a goes along person. in online its different, because i cant rely on my trusty unconscious communication of feelings to create a friendly atmosphere. and here people, because of that, tend to misunderstand ALOT. =|

S

Society

i probably agree with entp's too much for there to be any resemblance of an argument

that seems impossible: when contemplating something my mind is a bit like a kraken drawing out a tentacle stretching things to every direction i can see while the Ti trial is going - if you agree with tentacles #2 & #3 you will disagree with tentacles #1 & #4. a conflicting view is unavoidable.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
that seems impossible: when contemplating something my mind is a bit like a kraken drawing out a tentacle stretching things to every direction i can see while the Ti trial is going - if you agree with tentacles #2 & #3 you will disagree with tentacles #1 & #4. a conflicting view is unavoidable.

dont underestimate my ability to synthesize knowledge, i will pretty much take any good parts your mumbling has and implement them into my view, and if that thing i build is any good, then you pretty much have no choice but to agree with me. and perhaps i guide your musings into the direction i want them to go so it isnt as shattered with me as it would be with a person who doesnt do this.

but yeah, i do can remember turning an entp's musings off away as inconsistent information and offering a better explanation in return.

i just think infj's and entp's were made to think together.

Winds of Thor

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
dont underestimate my ability to synthesize knowledge, i will pretty much take any good parts your mumbling has and implement them into my view, and if that thing i build is any good, then you pretty much have no choice but to agree with me. and perhaps i guide your musings into the direction i want them to go so it isnt as shattered with me as it would be with a person who doesnt do this.

but yeah, i do can remember turning an entp's musings off away as inconsistent information and offering a better explanation in return.

i just think infj's and entp's were made to think together.

Is Obie Wan an INFJ?

(my contribution to this thread)

Entropic

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know someone who likes to argue a lot but is clearly not entp.

How do you explain that ?

Because being argumentative as a trait has nothing to do with whether you value Ne and Ti as your two preferred ego functions...? I'm argumentative as hell too or can be, my Jungian functions are Fi and Ne.

Vilku

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Is Obie Wan an INFJ?

(my contribution to this thread)

i would assume he is, cause theres hell alot of infj behavior implemented in him. i wouldnt like to think of myself that much alike to him, but all male infj's seem to be as dull as obi wan, although id rather see myself as an enfp which im not.. =/