• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Were N, L, and Light Yagami INTJ's? :tongue:

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think that INTJ's are not cold-hearted meanies, :wacko:
but just very uncomfortable with emotions ; perhaps more " vulnerable " than they let on

what say yee ?

MBTI Type
INxJ
OOOH! I knew L would the the INTP in the group if there was one :D.

L is classic INTP to the letter. It was no question at all. ^.~

INTJs are not emotionless. Emotionless people are sociopaths. I personally don't use emotion to make my day to day decisions. They also don't influence my interactions. Unless, it's specifically an emotional issue. That doesn't mean I don't feel. I'm just not demonstrative of it.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
but just very uncomfortable with emotions ; perhaps more " vulnerable " than they let on

what say yee ?

Well, you can break up emotions to the short-term fleeting kind and the long-running intense kind. INTJs tend not to be expressive of the first kind, and this is how most people think people have 'emotions,' so they tend to assume that INTJs are emotionless robots. :huh:

The second kind, well, they're not very expressed either. However, these ones come out once in a while and are very influential to an INTJ. So, because these exist, INTJs are as prone to depression, PTSD, and whatever other emotional disorders there are as the average guy, despite being apparently 'emotionless.'

I don't know if I'd call them 'vulnerable,' but I do know that a lot of INTJs get really uncomfortable around intense emotional expression.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

what say yee ?

I certainly wouldn’t consider myself or the INTJ’s I know cold hearted and emotionless, we can rationalise our emotions and don't reveal them to just anyone, this can mean we are perceived as such. I'd describe our emotions as an iceberg, we only show the tip to most people but underneath is where the real stuff lies.

I’m not uncomfortable with emotions but I can feel vulnerable when I expose my deeper feelings to others, this can result in my withdrawing back into myself and therefore being once again perceived as a cold-hearted meanie, it’s a fun cycle.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I often find myself biting my tongue and stopping whatever gut reaction I have when somebody does something particularly idiotic, awful, unpleasant, etc. I'm a big fan of 'thinking before you speak,' but what happens is the original intensity wears off and I guess that's what would cause me to look 'unemotional,' when really I'm just trying not to cause a fight.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I think that INTJ's are not cold-hearted meanies,
but just very uncomfortable with emotions ; perhaps more " vulnerable " than they let on.

Sorry but I think you have a lot of generalization in this part about feelings and INTJs.
I say this because there is a huge difference between 50:50 and 90:10 in T/F ratio.
My point is that one person is 50% F and another is 10% F.

But if you have a deeper insight please share it whit us because I would like to see what are you thinking.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sorry but I think you have a lot of generalization in this part about feelings and INTJs.
I say this because there is a huge difference between 50:50 and 90:10 in T/F ratio.
My point is that one person is 50% F and another is 10% F.

But if you have a deeper insight please share it whit us because I would like to see what are you thinking.

It just that i see how people put up walls,
and are slow to open up....the reason being a certain brand of vulnerability
I consulted with an INTJ on another forum a while back
and he conceded to being sensitive in a round about way
and a real INTJ that i've been observing isn't touchy
but has a temper that goes off like a shot

perhaps i am approaching this at an inefficient angle

and of course the T/F thing is a factor
i did not include it because i thought it was self-evident

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank You,Trinity
Thats exactly what i thought

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
Emotions are tricky because I think the types experience them in a different way...I can feel very strongly about something, but it's not about the things other people would care about. E.g. recently I got excessively frustrated and indignant/angry because I felt that a professor had not treated me entirely fair...it didn't really do me any significant harm in the long run, but the principle was just wrong. I wouldn't mind much if my brother forgot to ask about my grades though. It's not that I don't care about people at all, but I think that in a way it would be harder for me to deal with a breach of trust than with some loved one passing away. I think that positive emotions are more problematic than negative emotions, in a way.

See...it's more about concepts.

My emotional life is fairly constant (except when I'm infatuated), but I wonder, why does F come before T? Why do feelings get rationalised? Why is feeling the basic norm?

IcePrincess

From the INTJ Forum - It seems INTJs develop friendships slowly, and relationships even slower.

I agree w/ this, but why do INTJs have to be so difficult and complicated? And how do you know when you’re actually in a relationship with an INTJ? This probably sounds like a stupid question, but I’m confused by an INTJ.

I’m currently involved w/ this INTJ male and I say “involved” because I really don’t know what we are doing. We have know each other for approximately 2 years and played the attraction game (flirting & calling each other, etc.) until I finally made the first move on him about 3 months ago. He said that he was attracted to me, but didn’t want to make the first move. So these last 3 months we have been having sex weekly and he calls me anywhere from 3 – 5 times a week and we talk for several hours. The thing is we never hang out w/ each other friends. He said he don’t think he is comfortable yet. I just find this strange after all this time. Also I would like to see him more. Of course I don’t tell him this; on occasion when he calls, I’ll tell him that I was thinking about him, and he’ll ask why I didn’t call him. I don’t want to tell him that if I called him every time I thought of him, his phone would be constantly ringing! I guess I just want more from him, but I don’t know how to approach him with this. Also I’ve thought that perhaps we are just “friends with benefits,” but then again, I don’t really need to talk to a friend with benefits for several hours a week. I just feel I’ve invested a lot into this guy, and am not getting enough back.

Any comments or suggestions?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
If the person is very INTJ. He/she will not have a real relationships.
Friends whit benefits is as far he/she will go in this sphere and there is a possibility that he/she will stay like this for the rest of their lifes.

Probably he is not totally INTJ from what I see. So just go slow in this situation.

MBTI Type
INxJ
From the INTJ Forum - It seems INTJs develop friendships slowly, and relationships even slower.I agree w/ this, but why do INTJs have to be so difficult and complicated?

INTJs aren't really complicated. See the first sentence of your post. That's a big part of what it boils down to. They take a long time to assess if another person is worthy of making a commitment to. Not just romantic relationships, but relationships in general. It takes years to really get to know someone. Your not going to get him to make any sort of huge leap at your current stage. If he says he's uncomfortable, respect that. He is being open and honest with you.

INTJs can and do have 'real' relationships. However, be warned that it is a long process from their side. Not only that, but they aren't demonstrative of how they feel for you in an obvious way. If he is talking to you for hours at a time, than he is genuinely interested in more than your body. It doesn't seem like much to you, but it's probably a big deal for him to take time out of his day to include you in his world. These subtle interactions are how INTJs show interest.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
From my point of view if I was involved with someone like you’ve described it would be all or nothing emotionally even if you couldn’t necessarily see this. The hanging out as friends aspect that is missing is a concern though, check out some of the other threads on INTJf and you’ll see that quality time with our loved ones is rated very highly, on the other hand calling 3-5 times a week and talking for several hours is huge for an INTJ.

Difficult and complicated? Not really, more so guarded and analytical. How do you know when you’re in a relationship? Ask, we’ll generally tell you bluntly where we are at, seriously that’s the best way, he may be holding back not wanting to reveal his true feelings, like with initiating the romance you may need to initiate this as well.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Friends whit benefits is as far he/she will go in this sphere and there is a possibility that he/she will stay like this for the rest of their lifes.

:shock: There is quite a difference between an INTJ and a sociopath.

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8

What is "very" INTJ?
Why can this person not have "real" relationships?
Why is "friends with benefits" the furthest you think this person will romantically proceed?
Why is this relevant to the INTJ?

It sounds like you are grafting (odd) stereotypes.

On a personal note, I find the branding of the INTJ as summarily incapable of normal emotional transaction - romance; friendship; congeniality, etc. - to be a frustrating exercise in ignorance and cliche'.

The same, worn-out themes are more indicative of weak storytelling than legitimately descriptive of a group of people.

Adding these qualities distorts community perception and brings about obfuscation (which, in a field like Type theory can really Astrologize things further...).

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I think Haphazard and Trinity are swaying my opinion of INTJ's females. ;) Keep fighting the good fight ladies.