• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

strawberries

shadow boxer
MBTI Type
----
my intj does the most adorable cute/silent/thinking/serious face. slays me. every. damn. time.

carry on you insufferable cuties. [sigh] sorry, i don't have a question.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Do we really lavish attention on people? I know I do it to things -- questions, topics, problems, etc. In any case, withdrawing is done for all the reasons you mention: recharging, researching, planning, reflecting. I will usually notify people I care about that I will be doing this for some period of time, so at least they are not left wondering what happened.

This.

It is easier to list what is not annoying.

This too.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ah yes, if it's a significant amount of time right? But what if it's just several days...a week? so you talk to someone everyday/post everyday for several days...then withdraw. It's a pattern in itself, prehaps you don't feel it needs explaining on that basis...but i'm curious -what's going on in there?
It depends on the person and the amount of time. I don't talk to or email anyone every day, except my SO whom I live with, and my coworkers. Many of my personal relationships already have established patterns of contact and no-contact. Meaning, most of my friends and acquaintances know it is common to go weeks or even months without hearing from me. If they initiate contact, though, I will usually respond within a couple of days. I will tell my SO, though, if I plan to spend the entire evening alone working on something.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
What are your thoughts on ISTPs? Have you had experiences working with or dating them?

Funny that you ask, cuz I was just thinking about this yesterday.

One of my four or five best friends is an ISTP, but, tbh, his ISTPness has always bothered the shit out of me.

Often times ISTPs bother me; they think they're know-it-all's, but they're really kinda simple-minded, imo.

That being said, as I said at the beginning, I was thinking about this same question yesterday.

I think, if the ISTP is open to Te input, then the INTJ can be good with them.

I noticed that that's where my friend and I run into issues.

We both really like to discuss politics (and philosophy).

But I bring up real world evidence (as well as practicality), and he doesn't want to accept it.

It's like it doesn't fit into his Ti map of the world or something, so it's not acceptable.

Doesn't matter that the evidence is right there staring him in the face.

He also might be an INTP, but I think he's an ISTP.

His older brother is an INTP (and near-genius).

My friend is really good at sports.

His brother is not.

:shrug:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yeah, it's part of the reason why I still consider INTP.

But he's really good at sports, he's an electrician, and he was always a little bit less intelligent than the rest of us (though still gifted).

His not accepting stuff has to do with not wanting to accept practicality or evidence that goes against his overarching, big-picture convictions.

It makes me thing there's something going on along the TiFe axis, wherein he doesn't want to sacrifice those ideals for Te practicality/evidence.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Wow. I get different things from the INTJs I know. Most they complain about is my not making plans. Seems to bug the crap out of them and they will almost take it personally. Also, I have heard from 2 different ones "you make me think about things in different ways". Generally, we get along pretty well and I'm the more optimistic of the bunch!

I wouldn't say that any INTJs head is in the clouds tho. They seem pretty grounded. But ppl are different. We do share similar humor. Seems to be a bonding point.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Generally, we get along pretty well and I'm the more optimistic of the bunch!

Interesting.

It's the negative nancy ISTPs that bother me.

I've actually seen that the ISTP personality is associated with negativistic personality disorder.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting.

It's the negative nancy ISTPs that bother me.

I've actually seen that the ISTP personality is associated with negativistic personality disorder.

This is how I think about that. When I'm around someone who is very debate driven or passionate in their arguments to the degree that some NTs are - that can turn us off. Because it can have elements of pushiness. A natural reaction to that is to shut you down or ourselves down. Take a counter/apathetic approach just to annoy you (you guys get really upset and it can be amusing) or even just because we don't like the way you're going about the topic.

Just saying. We may be @*#%ing with you. ;)

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Sorry but I think you have a lot of generalization in this part about feelings and INTJs.
I say this because there is a huge difference between 50:50 and 90:10 in T/F ratio.
My point is that one person is 50% F and another is 10% F.

But if you have a deeper insight please share it whit us because I would like to see what are you thinking.
You've misinterpreted MBTI. There's no such thing as being "90%I T."I It's actually that the test is 90%a certain you're a T. That's an important distinction. Fi is tertiary for all INTJs. That's why we're INTJs and not ENTJs.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
You've misinterpreted MBTI. There's no such thing as being "90%I T."I It's actually that the test is 90%a certain you're a T. That's an important distinction. Fi is tertiary for all INTJs. That's why we're INTJs and not ENTJs.

Actually, that's not entirely true.

If one INTJ has a well-developed tertiary, and another has a poorly developed developed tertiary, the former will likely show a closer T/F ratio, and the latter will likely show a much more divergent T/F ratio. As such, while a higher T level may tend to show with more certainty that someone is a T, a closer level between T and F may indeed indicate better development of the Feeling function.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was considering retyping as eNTp, but then an anonymous individual was telling me how something termed "INTJ Omnipotence" was rather amusing!

So folks do any of you have any thoughts on this, like do you think INTJs are arrogant narcissists who believe they know everything (even if they really do!)?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If one INTJ has a well-developed tertiary, and another has a poorly developed developed tertiary, the former will likely show a closer T/F ratio, and the latter will likely show a much more divergent T/F ratio. As such, while a higher T level may tend to show with more certainty that someone is a T, a closer level between T and F may indeed indicate better development of the Feeling function.
I was told by the person who did our MBTI at work that the score indicated the strength of one's preference for a given function. So, someone with 90% T prefers T much more strongly than someone with 60%T. If they prefer it more, and therefore use it more, the extra use and practice can translate into greater proficiency with the function, but individuals vary and that is not guaranteed.

As for ISTPs, I used to work with one. He was meticulous about following the methods and processes he was trained to use, and that he trusted to work. Often this was just what was needed. It was hard, however, to get him to break away from this and try something new. Sometimes his way was overkill; we were pressed for time, and didn't need that level of precision. Other times, it just didn't work for the experiment at hand. Other coworkers were often put off by his stubborn and argumentative nature, but I never had any trouble cutting through it. I would say - let's just try it rather than speculate. If I'm wrong, we will soon see, and can go back to your way. We often argued about how to do a particular experiment, always very thoroughly, vigorously, but with real respect for each other. As a result, whichever course of action we settled on, we well understood the advantages and pitfalls. He has moved on now, and I miss him, his interesting stories, and his dedication to getting good results.

R

Riva

Do you have good memories?

Theoretically INTJs should not?

However the three close INTJs I know from RL (all of whom I guessed were INTJs before giving the test and confirming it - though one of them got 50/50 on E Vs I) have remarkable memories.

They don't seem to have the ability to recollect in a sequential manner (like some ISTJs seem to gave) but good memories they do have.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What do you think of people in TiNi loops who proclaim (falsely :cry:) to be INTJ!? :D

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
And what I'm saying is: I find that annoying.

You know Zarathustra, I have a little theory that negativity is the seed of development. If we are simply happy with the current flow of events, we don't take action to change the course of the currents. I believe we should always be challenging all incompetence, and from the struggle, the weaknesses should be turned into stregnths. Such is the way of evolution.

So ya, what I described above is pretty much what I'm doing with your statement I quoted.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Just saying. We may be @*#%ing with you. ;)

Yep. I have an ISTP friend who does that all the time. He can piss me off like no other in our group, actually, because he's so fuckin sceptical dammit! I know he does it on purpose, but that pisses me off, more, not less, LOL.

Having said that when we agree on a point, we're like best buds.

jcloudz

Yup
MBTI Type
Istj
question time.

if someone has been smoking pot, non stop for 6 months and their girlfriend/boyfriend swallowed their cum, would she fail a drug test?