• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Had there been more than one solid INFP endorsement it might have seemed worth it. I nominate you to start it Coriolis. :D
Nice try, but I lack the necessary experience/frame of reference. An INTJ/INTP thread, on the other hand . . . but I think there are already a couple. As someone observed, they peter out much more readily.

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It would make my tummy hurt, if that thread was started.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would make my tummy hurt, if that thread was started.
Those reluctant INFPs just need someone like Mia to drag them out of their shells. Once the festivities start, I don't doubt that adequate INTJ interest will be forthcoming. (The whole "build it and they will come" mentality.)

Mia.

Those reluctant INFPs just need someone like Mia to drag them out of their shells. Once the festivities start, I don't doubt that adequate INTJ interest will be forthcoming. (The whole "build it and they will come" mentality.)

Does that include the INTJs wearing baseball uniforms?... :D

CrystalViolet

lab rat extraordinaire
MBTI Type
XNFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A menace of INTJ's is a scary thought indeed.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION],
I think INTJs are trickier than INTPs because they tend to mix ''trolling'' with a high dose of seriousness. They are usually making a point indirectly. I call that semi trolling. When done right, it is beautiful. There's no easy way to tell - you need to understand the other person well.
INTPs do that too, but we are usually more blatant. Among other reasons, I guess our tolerance for interpretive deviation is significantly smaller.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think INTJs are trickier than INTPs because they tend to mix ''trolling'' with a high dose of seriousness. They are usually making a point indirectly. I call that semi trolling. When done right, it is beautiful. There's no easy way to tell - you need to understand the other person well.
INTPs do that too, but we are usually more blatant. Among other reasons, I guess our tolerance for interpretive deviation is significantly smaller.

I also think INTJs troll far less than INTPs do. Sometimes I'll see an NF laugh at what an INTJ posted, not realizing the INTJ was serious, the INTJ actually believes the crazy stance they are taking.

See INTJ Forum for further details. Whole lotta serious-crazy over there.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I also think INTJs troll far less than INTPs do. Sometimes I'll see an NF laugh at what an INTJ posted, not realizing the INTJ was serious, the INTJ actually believes the crazy stance they are taking.

See INTJ Forum for further details. Whole lotta serious-crazy over there.

I spent some time on the INTJ Forums.... from the parts I frequented, they were no more or less nonsensical than people in general can be.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I spent some time on the INTJ Forums.... from the parts I frequented, they were no more or less nonsensical than people in general can be.

Heh, go read some threads on feminism at INTJf.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Eh. That's just Zarathustra making broad, sweeping generalizations about all INTJs again. For cereal, that's the entire thread.
Apparently, that's the type of INTJ that he is... "I am this way, therefore everyone must also be this way too!"

It's an interesting flaw, one that I get the sense that more than a few INTJs likely struggle with. I know I have in the past.

See now, [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION], this is an excellent example to demonstrate how to properly interpret an INTJ.

The reason is because it's a rather simple one, with only two likely possibilities:

1. Engineer is an idiot.
2. Engineer is trolling.

I give Engineer the benefit of the doubt, therefore I'll (tentatively) go with trolling.

With more advanced INTJs, however, you will usually have to deal with more than just two layers.

I play video games and workout. I guess those count as hobbies? I'm rather boring.

Mundane hobbies...

Boring...

An INTJ these do not make...

Hehe, well I didn't notice anyone except [MENTION=10757]Nicodemus[/MENTION] exactly rolling out the red carpet for us, or running to start the resulting "INTJ/INFP Fetishists Thread" man. :D

If you hadn't noticed, it was the ENFPs who have always started the epic INTJ-ENFP threads.

You might want to ponder that one for a while.

As a general rule of thumb, I usually stay away from Zarathustra threads because:
a) He talks about really high-concept portions of typology that aren't really practical in day to day life, or, to me, help out with being a better person.
b) He usually ignores the majority of the stuff I post in reply unless he finds it wrong or it meshes with his previous points.
c) His threads attract Kalach. Kalach gives me headaches.

Difficulty with "high concepts"...

Compulsion towards day-to-day practicality...

Strong concern with being a "good person"...

Too much Ni gives him a headache...

http://personalitypage.com/ISTJ.html

Many will rage against me for saying this, but I hate Nintendo...

:dry:

My best friend is an INTJ. I enjoy extrapolating what his Ni+Te provides, and sorting it with my Fi. I have a lot of rapport with my particular INTJ and we share a lot of common interests. As for the type as a whole, you're very admirable. You all seem so put-together, and exemplify the traits that I wish I had. Personally I think INTJ and INFP partnerships can be particularly beneficial on each end, with the INFP providing understanding and a competent ear/interactive idea bounce-board.

What you seem to be describing here is keenly (albeit too briefly) dealt with at TypeLogic.

They typify INTJ-INFP relationships as "Advisor" relationships, meaning "each has an area of insight the other lacks".

I have one INFP friend in particular (the only one I've spent much time with for a while) for whom this description fits pretty well.

This is pretty good.

Although, I would say we tend to mix a high dose of seriousness with "trolling".

And don't worry about not knowing whether INTJs are trolling, [MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION].

Apparently, MacGuffin has difficulty with it too.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And don't worry about not knowing whether INTJs are trolling, EJCC.

Apparently, MacGuffin has difficulty with it too.

I guess that means female INTJs can't spot it either?

SoraMayhem

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What you seem to be describing here is keenly (albeit too briefly) dealt with at TypeLogic.

They typify INTJ-INFP relationships as "Advisor" relationships. meaning "each has an area of insight the other lacks".

I have one INFP friend in particular (the only one I've spent much time with for a while) for whom this description fits pretty well.

I tend to agree with that quite a bit. The way the functions of the two types can interplay is very intriguing!

Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense. :) This sometimes results in a peculiar naivete', paralleling that of many Fs -- only instead of expecting inexhaustible affection and empathy from a romantic relationship, the INTJ will expect inexhaustible reasonability and directness.

This bit particularly gives me some insight, and for a certain type of INFP can be very strengthening. I very much value explicit communication. I do understand that maybe other INFPs can be a little frustrating for INTJs in this way. :shrug:

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I tend to agree with that quite a bit. The way the functions of the two types can interplay is very intriguing!

I find the functional interplay less intriguing than with other pairings, but there is a common depth that I can appreciate with INFPs.

INTPs and INFJs are both soulless Fe users, which leaves INFPs and INTJs as the sole great minds (INs) of the world who also have true selves.

As you said in your first post, this does lead to a relationship whereby an INTJ can benefit from having someone who can listen to and advise them.

Auxiliary Ne is also a little less zany than dominant Ne, and so can provide alternate thought-paths with a bit more sense of control than with ENFPs.

And it is probably good for the development of our tertiary Fi to be around someone with dominant Fi, in order to see both the pros and the cons.

What benefit do we provide for INFPs? I really don't know. Probably an example of how to develop their inferior Te. After that, I have no idea.

SoraMayhem

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I find the functional interplay less intriguing than with other pairings, but there is a common depth that I can appreciate with INFPs.

INTPs and INFJs are both soulless Fe users, which leaves INFPs and INTJs as the sole great minds (INs) of the world who also have true selves.

As you said in your first post, this does lead to a relationship whereby an INTJ can benefit from having someone who can listen to and advise them.

Auxiliary Ne is also a little less zany than dominant Ne, and so can provide alternate thought-paths with a bit more sense of control than with ENPs.

And it is probably be good for the development of our tertiary Fi to be around someone with dominant Fi, in order to see both the pros and the cons.

Very apt, I especially enjoy the diction of "the sole great minds" but then again it's both a compliment and from an INTJ so :wubbie:

Also dominant-Ne types drive me crazy as well, they're so... loud. I do feel as though I have more control of my Ne than an ENxP does, probably due to the auxiliary position. INFPs may also have some value to INTJs in regard to tertiary Si versus inferior Se. At least in my INTJ friend, the tertiary Sensing manifests as a very poor memory, where as I have a slight advantage. I'm not sure, but like I said it seemed as though it could be valuable.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Also dominant-Ne types drive me crazy as well, they're so... loud. I do feel as though I have more control of my Ne than an ENxP does, probably due to the auxiliary position. INFPs may also have some value to INTJs in regard to tertiary Si versus inferior Se. At least in my INTJ friend, the tertiary Sensing manifests as a very poor memory, where as I have a slight advantage. I'm not sure, but like I said it seemed as though it could be valuable.

As I get older, my memory seems to be getting worse.

There's all kinds of shit that I do that I simply do not remember.

People, longtime friends, bring things up to me like, "hey, remember when...?!?"

And I'm just like... :blink:... my memory of the event might start coming back after a while, but it's still often rather hazy.

This isn't about all things, as I can actually have a remarkably good memory about some things, but it's just something I've noticed lately.

I'm not really sure how your tertiary Si would help us much, though; frankly, it is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about (I)N(F)Ps.

SoraMayhem

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm not really sure how your tertiary Si would help us much, though; frankly, it is one of the things that rubs me the wrong way about (I)N(F)Ps.

More willing and/or liable to pay attention to detail? I'm probably just grasping at straws, though.

Mia.

I tend to agree with that quite a bit. The way the functions of the two types can interplay is very intriguing! :

I find it so as well. I’d be interested in your observations and ideas on it.

I very much value explicit communication.

Meeeee too.

Auxiliary Ne is also a little less zany than dominant Ne, and so can provide alternate thought-paths with a bit more sense of control than with ENFPs.

And it is probably good for the development of our tertiary Fi to be around someone with dominant Fi, in order to see both the pros and the cons.

:rofl1: You kill me man, hehe.

What benefit do we provide for INFPs? I really don't know. Probably an example of how to develop their inferior Te. After that, I have no idea.

You guys look really good in baseball uniforms. Or rugby shorts – I’ve recently learned of their attributes and find them equally acceptable and appreciable.

If you hadn't noticed, it was the ENFPs who have always started the epic INTJ-ENFP threads.

You might want to ponder that one for a while.

10151347.jpg