• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm...

All I can really tell you is that it's about holding as many possibilities (i.e., perspectives) in one's mind as one can.

Our joy literally comes from playing these multiple possibilities off one another, because, in reality, we probably have a fully array of complex opinions about each one of them, and expressing the entirety of our opinions would be inconvenient, as, to do so would require pages, essays, books even, and so, rather than express them in full, we just play around with them by referring to them rather obliquely, and allowing our dear readers to either figure it out on their own, or not. Those who can, we let into our inner circle. Those who cannot, well...
This makes sense. It fits my relationship with my INTJ former roommate pretty well. Took me a little while to figure out her personal Ni use, but she put up with that because she found me interesting. Now we're good friends.

But how would you figure it out in the context of trolling?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
But how would you figure it out in the context of trolling?

Well, it's really just not that simple.

See, from one perspective, you could say that we're always trolling.

But, from another, you could say that we're never trolling.

The truth lies somewhere in between.

And the truth lies in what I said.

You just have to learn to read those multiple perspectives that we're riffing.

We literally play them like an instrument.

You just have to learn to hear it.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION]

I should add that, as an SJ, you are almost certainly going to be bad at this.

Ni is the trickster (7th) or demonic (8th) function of every SJ.

I know that, of all my functions, those are the two (Fe, Si) I suck at most.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

And the truth lies in what I said.

You just have to learn to read those multiple perspectives that we're riffing.

We literally play them like an instrument.

You just have to learn to hear it.

:rolleyes:

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hmmm...

All I can really tell you is that it's about holding as many possibilities (i.e., perspectives) in one's mind as one can.

Our joy literally comes from playing these multiple possibilities off one another, because, in reality, we probably have a fully array of complex opinions about each one of them, and expressing the entirety of our opinions would be inconvenient, as, to do so would require pages, essays, books even, and so, rather than express them in full, we just play around with them by referring to them rather obliquely, and allowing our dear readers to either figure it out on their own, or not. Those who can, we let into our inner circle. Those who cannot, well...

Although, now that you mention it, this applies to all social interactions of INTJs with other types, not just text-based ones. Which often leads to those moments where-- for example-- some people think you love them (because you were just polite, and left out the entire explanation as to why you were being nice), some people think that you hate them (because you are sarcastically bantering with them in a hyperbolic manner) and some people think you are an arrogant asshole (because of a few self-referential/sarcastically-deprecating comments that you made). It's a complicated game, showing your meanings... And it's definitely gotten me into trouble on a few occasions.

And I feel like all types do it to some extent, it's just that INTJs don't give a damn-- most of the time-- if the majority of their day-to-day interactions with people are confused as being significant of something else.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

This is a good way to describe it. We're never really trolling because what looks like trolling to others sometimes is just our "natural" response to the situation or conversation. It differs from real trolling in that it generally has some constructive purpose, though that purpose will be our own and may be far from obvious to onlookers. We are always trolling because, well, that's how our behavior may come across, and our motives are not always what they seem.

Getting to the bottom of it can be straightforward if we "like" you: just ask. We will either give you an honest answer, or an answer so blatantly sarcastic that you will know the opposite is true. Otherwise we can indeed lead most people down the proverbial garden path quite effectively.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] I think the usual ENFP tactic is just to pick some elements in the INTJ's communication and twist them around a bit and see how the INTJ responds, and that's how you can get a read on them. It's like Heisenberg uncertainty, they don't have any Si grounding, but at least you can figure out how they're moving at the moment. And then you get them to have to play your game too because then they have to figure out what your position is and because their Si sucks they find that tricky and intriguing too, and then while they're distracted, you pounce.

:laugh:

Nicodemus

I think the only way to tell is by knowing the person in question and whether what they said/did may seem reasonable to them. If not, they are 'trolling'.

My flatmate, who has known me for but a few months, told me last week that he loved my humor, that it was incredibly dry and that he was never sure whether I was actually joking. With time, he may acquire that skill.

Jaguar

Zarathustra said:
And note how even ENTJs have a hard time picking up on the subtle meanings.

Your own words: "I definitely resemble the ENTJ archetype." ;)

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, inb4 trolls trolling trolls...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
[MENTION=4945]EJCC[/MENTION] I think the usual ENFP tactic is just to pick some elements in the INTJ's communication and twist them around a bit and see how the INTJ responds, and that's how you can get a read on them. It's like Heisenberg uncertainty, they don't have any Si grounding, but at least you can figure out how they're moving at the moment. And then you get them to have to play your game too because then they have to figure out what your position is and because their Si sucks they find that tricky and intriguing too, and then while they're distracted, you pounce.

:laugh:

Per usual, skylights has hit the INTJ nail on the head.

SoraMayhem

defying your expectations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
As an INFP I'd like to ask, why do I like you so much? I admire INTJs so hard.