• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
what do you hold against the new old man ?i

R

Riva

If given only one word to define yourselves', what would that word be?

Decisive!!!

I would use that word. Would like to know yours.

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
If given only one word to define yourselves', what would that word be?

Decisive!!!

I would use that word. Would like to know yours.

Because saying "multi-faceted" is a little lame and because of the mood I'm in I'll say "courageous".

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Do you mean in terms of MBTI functions? I can explain it only as a combination of several functions, which is how I see the functions working in any case.
Yeah, I did mean in terms of MBTI functions. :yes: Doesn't seem to be Te, so would you say it's Ni/Fi?
I agree that it is better to be correct, even if I didn't come up with the correct answer myself. I prefer, however, that others provide me the information I need to correct my decision, rather than making the decision for me themselves. There may be more than one way to act upon the correction, and there may be factors involved that they do not realize.
:yes: Yeah, this sounds like Ni to me. That makes a lot of sense. Si + Te, for me, tends to mean seeing something wrong and only wanting to use the best possible method of fixing it -- i.e. the best possible method based on what Si has on record in the database. I had always associated that sort of certainty with Te, but I guess it's more Si than anything -- i.e. the certainty is Si and the acting upon the certainty is Te/Fi..?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, I did mean in terms of MBTI functions. :yes: Doesn't seem to be Te, so would you say it's Ni/Fi?

Si + Te, for me, tends to mean seeing something wrong and only wanting to use the best possible method of fixing it -- i.e. the best possible method based on what Si has on record in the database. I had always associated that sort of certainty with Te, but I guess it's more Si than anything -- i.e. the certainty is Si and the acting upon the certainty is Te/Fi..?
I was originally explaining the desire to contribute to the world around as a combination of functions. Specifically, critical Te sees that something is wrong, or ineffective/inefficient. Ni sees how much better it could be. Te shows how that might be accomplished, using Se data to flesh out the Ni vision. Fi underlies the values present (efficiency, improvement, logic), and motivates the action in the sense of giving the goal personal importance. This is just a rough sketch, and things may work differently for different INTJs, but it is at least one example of how the functions combine this way.

As for correcting/improving what other people are doing, a similar process applies. Usually it is driven by that almost instantaneous combination of Te + Ni. I can almost literally see in the moment the negative consequences unfold, or how much better another course of action would be. Here, Fi can be pivotal in determining whether and how I act upon these realizations.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
My question is for INTj's who drink heavily in their free time. I know one particular INTJ who seems to become far more revealing about his feelings when he drinks. He also seems to lose control with inferior extroverted sensing. Its a weird thing to observe because it's so very different from his normal, sober behavior. I am just wondering if it is likely his thoughts and feelings while drinking are BS, or if they are more likely true but he needs alcohol to reveal? Do INTJs use alcohol as an emotional outlet?

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My question is for INTj's who drink heavily in their free time. I know one particular INTJ who seems to become far more revealing about his feelings when he drinks. He also seems to lose control with inferior extroverted sensing. Its a weird thing to observe because it's so very different from his normal, sober behavior. I am just wondering if it is likely his thoughts and feelings while drinking are BS, or if they are more likely true but he needs alcohol to reveal? Do INTJs use alcohol as an emotional outlet?

Yes, yes we do. It either numbs the feelings we're wanting to get rid of or allows us the fluidity to convey them to others without wondering about potential repercussions. I'm very much still aware of what I say when I'm drunk, and I'll still filter myself if I know that the company would react badly towards the sentiments I'm voicing.
In all honesty, he's probably being true to what he thinks inside. No better way to get past an INTJ's armor than to get him wasted. Cracks the weak spots and lets you get a glimpse of the guy inside.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Unless he gets sick before he opens up, as I do. Then everyone is shut out, fast.

Nicodemus

He also seems to lose control with inferior extroverted sensing.
This effect becomes particularly noticeable to me when control is re-established, things fall back into perspective and I realize that the moment of immersion it not going to last forever. I bet Nietzsche got his idea of the Dionysian from a drinking experience.

why you guys gotta be so cute insufferable cute?
Genes and jeans.

Pride

MBTI Type
INTP
Is there any way to convince my ISTJ friend that he's wrong? Even if I present logically consistent arguments, he will dismiss them even though he makes the fallacious claim that he himself is as logically consistent as I am, yet he consistently ignores the flaws and loops in his own arguments if it is to be benefit of supporting his worldview.

Nicodemus

Is there any way to convince my ISTJ friend that he's wrong? Even if I present logically consistent arguments, he will dismiss them even though he makes the fallacious claim that he himself is as logically consistent as I am, yet he consistently ignores the flaws and loops in his own arguments if it is to be benefit of supporting his worldview.
Ask him how he knows that his claim is true. Then unsettle the foundations on which that alleged knowledge is built.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I would never get into a worldviews discussion with an ISTJ. Ever. They've got unshakable beliefs in their minds, and there's no changing them once they're set. Appeal to his reason if you even want to try to get close, or just use Nico's method... it's blunt, but it'll work if it really means that much to you to be right.

T

ThatGirl

Here is what you do. You start out with your argument, then gradually start arguing his. Let him point out his own inconsistencies (which he believes are yours). Once he is all hot and bothered remind him of his own argument, and hammer down the solutions or truths you have discovered to compensate for it.

Don't ever argue who is more logical. It makes both of you look retarded.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Why do INTJs love talking about Ni and Fi, but rarely Te?