• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So this being said, how annoying is it for an INTJ to be paired with a cute/sexy/nosey E-type that frequently asks what it is they're thinking about? :laugh:

What ceecee said. It's often a large hassle to explain what we're thinking about-- simply. For example, I could say I was thinking about an idea for a novel... and then I'd have to have a lengthy and bothersome (since I already know what I'm thinking about) discussion to give you the framework of what it is, and why it is. By that point, I'd be a bit embarrassed for having explained to you the physics of phase space and the diplomatic relationships of two opposing fictional factions... And that's just for that example. This can be applied to so many topics it's not even funny.

However, that's not to say it's always completely annoying. If we have on a happy face (read: not the "angry" thinking face) and are looking at you in a funny way, feel free to ask... probably be pleasantly surprised if you can drag it out of us.

Also, on a related note, if you ask "what's wrong" outside the proper boundaries (i.e. you didn't actually did something to annoy/hurt/confound us) it gets supremely annoying. We won't show it, and usually just answer with an exasperated "I'm fine." (I know several E-types who got my thinking or neutral faces confused with angry or frustrated, and that's just ridiculously silly. I always look that way...) Eventually, we'll avoid talking to you out of sheer frustration. Though, again, that's prolonged use. A few times, here and there, is kind of endearing.

(I just realized I use a lot of parenthetical statements when I'm thinking... So many asides in this conversation it could be a Shakespeare play.)

My mother (ESFJ) said a few days ago that she has to ask me questions (which she knows annoy me) because otherwise she would know nothing about me. The truth is that I would rather talk to her without being interviewed. I told her so before, but apparently that does not really matter.

This is very much true. I hate interrogations, especially ones with broad, and hard-to-define questions.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So this being said, how annoying is it for an INTJ to be paired with a cute/sexy/nosey E-type that frequently asks what it is they're thinking about? :laugh:
My answer depends strongly on what kind of reaction I get if I answer. If I feel as if I am really understood, if the person follows what I am saying without making me connect every last dot, asks insightful questions that cause me to think, etc. etc. I might actually enjoy it. But that is asking a bit much for the type you have described, so odds are, it would actually be horrid.

N

NPcomplete

Dear INTJs,

How often do you voice out your fears and anxieties to people? Also, how does one make you feel better after that admission?

Thanks! :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Dear INTJs,

How often do you voice out your fears and anxieties to people? Also, how does one make you feel better after that admission?

Not often.
I don't know. Maybe a hug or a situation applicable word of wisdom but I really enjoy something that takes the heavy depressing feeling out of it

Wow I can't believe I said that.
Do you feel better?
No not really. Do you have any words of wisdom?
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken".
Better. :D

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
Dear INTJs

When you vent to a person about a problem which you're aware they could never possibly understand or give sound advice on, why do you do this? I find it confusing. Is it to use them as a sounding board to help work this problem out in your own head? Are you looking for sympathy or comfort? :S

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Dear INTJs

When you vent to a person about a problem which you're aware they could never possibly understand or give sound advice on, why do you do this? I find it confusing. Is it to use them as a sounding board to help work this problem out in your own head? Are you looking for sympathy or comfort? :S

I don't like venting for this very reason. I think it's for more of a sounding board, I've never wanted sympathy or comfort.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dear INTJs,

Almost never. I'll actually keep it to myself so much that I can hurt the relationship in question by allowing my resentment to sit. It's not a good trait, but it's one that I'll admit I do quite a bit. Most times, if I do voice my fears-- most of which revolve around being either used by a person or left-- the best thing I can hear is "Oh, no. I would never do that." Followed by a list of examples that illustrate that particular point. Refute my anxieties with positive facts and I'll appreciate you very much.

Hugs are also good, too.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
I think it's for more of a sounding board, I've never wanted sympathy or comfort.

Yeah it was the only conclusion I could really come to that made any sense. :S I mean if you wanted help with it, logically you'd turn to someone with the skills to do so, right? Lol, when it happens though I feel so useless, I have never have any idea what to say/do.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah it was the only conclusion I could really come to that made any sense. :S I mean if you wanted help with it, logically you'd turn to someone with the skills to do so, right? Lol, when it happens though I feel so useless, I have never have any idea what to say/do.
I will vent like this rarely, and only to someone very close, like my SO. Part of it is to let my SO know what is on my mind, what I am having to contend with that may be preoccupying my attention, making me stressed out, etc. Part of it is helping me to work it out myself; just the act of putting the issue into words can go far in helping me see it more clearly and reveal its own solution. If you are on the receiving end of this, best options are (1) be a good listener, (2) ask explicitly if there is anything you can do to help (likely no, but you might be surprised), and (3) if appropriate, offer general reassurance, like a hug, or appreciation that the person was willing to share that with you. That's all I would expect.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

When we talk to someone like that, I find it's more to work things out in our own heads. Of course, if we just talked to ourselves, that'd be weird. We don't really expect you to do anything but listen and be supportive (slightly, not a full-on sob session or some nonsense like that...). Just realize that we trust you a lot if we're willing to burden you with that kind of stuff.

N

NPcomplete

Not often.
I don't know. Maybe a hug or a situation applicable word of wisdom but I really enjoy something that takes the heavy depressing feeling out of it

Wow I can't believe I said that.
Do you feel better?
No not really. Do you have any words of wisdom?
Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said..."I'm too drunk to taste this chicken".
Better. :D

Almost never. I'll actually keep it to myself so much that I can hurt the relationship in question by allowing my resentment to sit. It's not a good trait, but it's one that I'll admit I do quite a bit. Most times, if I do voice my fears-- most of which revolve around being either used by a person or left-- the best thing I can hear is "Oh, no. I would never do that." Followed by a list of examples that illustrate that particular point. Refute my anxieties with positive facts and I'll appreciate you very much.

Hugs are also good, too.

Thanks!!

I wasn't sitting beside him when he said that so I couldn't offer any hug. Also, I'm not sure how he would feel about a hug. :p *makes mental note for next time*

I did offer a few words of wisdom and added that I'm afflicted by the same anxieties and then told him what I usually do. I don't know if all this helped though. I mean those fears are constant in me but I try to not get bogged by them and focus on other things. My other INTP friend does that as well.

Do you guys "work" like that too?

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Thanks!!

I wasn't sitting beside him when he said that so I couldn't offer any hug. Also, I'm not sure how he would feel about a hug. :p *makes mental note for next time*

I did offer a few words of wisdom and added that I'm afflicted by the same anxieties and then told him what I usually do. I don't know if all this helped though. I mean those fears are constant in me but I try to not get bogged by them and focus on other things. My other INTP friend does that as well.

Do you guys "work" like that too?

Hmmm...hugs only from close friends/SO's or it gets weird. Is this a co-worker or something? I think what you said was fine though, this would be something I'd like to hear.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
One thing I cannot tolerate in this situation (or others, for that matter) is anything that isn't genuine. No empty platitudes, no saying something just to fill the silence, or because you feel you should, or because that's what your other friends expect to hear. If you don't know what to say, or can't understand what I've related, or feel bad and wish there was something you could do: just say so. Be honest, and I will reply in kind.

N

NPcomplete

Hmmm...hugs only from close friends/SO's or it gets weird. Is this a co-worker or something? I think what you said was fine though, this would be something I'd like to hear.

I'd say quite close friend given the things we've discussed.

One thing I cannot tolerate in this situation (or others, for that matter) is anything that isn't genuine. No empty platitudes, no saying something just to fill the silence, or because you feel you should, or because that's what your other friends expect to hear. If you don't know what to say, or can't understand what I've related, or feel bad and wish there was something you could do: just say so. Be honest, and I will reply in kind.

I hate it when people do that too so yeah I don't do such things either.

Malice

Boldly Gone
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
2W3
thanks guys :) This thread is helping me out so much.

T

ThatGirl

Dear INTJs

I'm more likely to turn the problem into a hypothetical, then ask someone's opinion of the hypothetical. Then I take their words to heart. I rarely speak directly about my specific concerns, there are reasons for this. If I do, it is probably because I am almost 99% sure you will know how to make sense of it and not ascribe any other motive to my observations, stances, concerns, and plans.

I always want to figure something out though. I very very rarely vent just to vent. That makes me feel worse than just keeping it to myself and figuring it out, because now everyone is aware of the problem (negative) and yet no progress has been made (negative).

MBTI Type
INTJ
Dear INTJs

I don't know. I can't imagine doing that. First, I always worry about being someone who bitches or whines. I don't like that. Second, if I didn't think the person could help, I don't see myself venting to them.

I know that's not really the answer you're looking for, but it's another INTJ perspective on venting.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How did the ENTJs outclass you all recently on the forum?

They used to be the crazy ones!