• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often do you question your views?
Do you challenge all of them?

Me.. i do it to check if im going in the right direction.

Might just be a Enneagram type 6 thing?

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How often do you question your views?
Do you challenge all of them?

Me.. i do it to check if im going in the right direction.

Might just be a Enneagram type 6 thing?
I will usually question my views quite thoroughly before final implementation of a plan or idea. This is a last sanity check to be sure the plan is sound and is not overlooking new information or developments. If implementation happens in stages or over time, I will do this more than once, to accommodate any changes in the situation.

I will try to question or challenge my views if I find I disagree substantially with someone else. Usually, though, that entails my inviting them to prove me wrong, an invitation people are surprisingly reluctant to accept.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I observed to an INTJ whom I've known personally for years, "You're opportunistic about logic. You use logic here as it suits your needs, and you use illogic there as it suits your needs."

His reply: "That's not illogic, that's IN-logic."

Any comments from the INTJ side?

Edit - "IN" does not stand for anything, it's just the word "in."

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I observed to an INTJ whom I've known personally for years, "You're opportunistic about logic. You use logic here as it suits your needs, and you use illogic there as it suits your needs."

It's called rationalisation. Everyone does this, especially if it involves something that gets us on our nerves, like finding out that we're wrong all along :)

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
I think that INTJ's are not cold-hearted meanies, :wacko:
but just very uncomfortable with emotions ; perhaps more " vulnerable " than they let on

what say yee ?

Yes. I prefer to reason it all out, rather than let it out emotionally. It's a sign that I want to manipulate others, just to feel better...but then, nothing gets solved that way.

I worry too much about highly abstract matters that I care about, to the extent that they seriously warp my view of reality. I bet it's Fi gone all crazy, fueled by data-poor Ni. That's where the emotional vulnerability comes from, for me.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I asked earlier in the thread what you believe INTP's tend to do *better* than INTJ's. Now, my question is: What do you INTJ's do significantly better than a lot of the INTP's you've known?

Hopefully the INTP's won't flood in and attack your answers and defend ourselves against your honesty. I'm just curious about how you INTJ's view your strengths/weakenesses relative to INTP's, as it helps me understand myself better as well as the INTJ's I interact with.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
What do you INTJ's do significantly better than a lot of the INTP's you've known?

Organisation/management and strategic planning.

INJs are very good at making clear, concise and relevant assumptions and then stating those so they can be understood. INTJs are quite neat at this in technical discussion.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Well, INTJs are a primarily irrational type. Ni is kind of crazy and just does things it's way, regardless of the correctness of it. We aren't thinking dominant. This is less of an issue with more mature INTJs, who have better access to Te.

Usually there's a reason for believing what we believe, but trying to communicate that to others (especially ITPs) can be very difficult.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well, INTJs are a primarily irrational type. Ni is kind of crazy and just does things it's way, regardless of the correctness of it. We aren't thinking dominant. This is less of an issue with more mature INTJs, who have better access to Te.

Usually there's a reason for believing what we believe, but trying to communicate that to others (especially ITPs) can be very difficult.

I totally believe you on all of this (why wouldn't I?), but it seems crazy to me because you guys seem so darn "structured" and that you fit well within organizations and such. From the outside (not always seeing what goes on interally within a person), it's the NP's that seem to "do things however they want" regardless of whether it's correct and to invent new ways of breaking rules and blazing their own path, etc.

It must be simply because I'm "seeing" Te, but I'm "not seeing" Ni. It's just so strange to me to hear an INTJ saying that they are basically unstructured, because the outer image seems so much the opposite of that. Plus you guys always say that NP's ramble too much, aren't focused, etc. I'm just going to start getting crazy, buck-wild Ne with all the INTJ's I work with. I'm going to disregard the structured Te facade and just target Ni with my Ne musings. What's the worst that can happen, right? I'll either strike out (back to square 1 - no Ne), or I'll hit it over the fence and we'll have an N-fest.

freeeekyyy

Cheeseburgers
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
II'm just going to start getting crazy, buck-wild Ne with all the INTJ's I work with. I'm going to disregard the structured Te facade and just target Ni with my Ne musings. What's the worst that can happen, right? I'll either strike out (back to square 1 - no Ne), or I'll hit it over the fence and we'll have an N-fest.

Might not be a bad thing to try. Ne is fun.

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
does the idea of Domination, submission turn you on or do anything for you?

knight

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
what are things in the work place that really piss you off?

katharine12

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
what are things in the work place that really piss you off?

Chatterboxes. I like to talk to my coworkers (sometimes...), but really, I'm here to do a job, and I can't do that if I spend 4 hours listening to your problems.

Bureaucracy. There are times when I know what I need to do, how to do it, and when to do it, but for whatever reason, my hands are tied behind my back by rules, regulations, and more regulations.

Politics. It's especially bad with women (sorry!), but I can't just walk up to someone and say, "Hey, can I have this file?" or whatever. I have to engage in small talk I don't particularly care for BEFORE I can make my request.

Repetition. 'Nuff said.

(I realized, half way through writing this post, that I could've copied INTPness' post on the Ask an INTP thread, deleted a bunch of stuff, and still had what I finally produced. Talk about getting to the point. :p)

Xyk

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Would you rather be in a relationship with someone who will allow you complete control of the relationship (or almost complete), take complete control for themselves (or almost complete), or someone who will stand their ground and treat you like an equal, expecting the same in return?

I ask because an INTJ very close friend of mine (and ex-girlfriend) was in an on-and-off relationship with this very submissive guy for like 6 years but would often complain that he couldn't stand up for himself, but when the two of us dated (during one of the off parts of the long relationship), I did not submit or control but the relationship went nowhere and she ended it after about a month. Granted, I may have mocked her religion while we were discussing something, not thinking she would take it personally.

She seems to like being the boss but also likes to complain about other people not being independent or standing up for themselves.

Last edited:

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Would you rather be in a relationship with someone who will allow you complete control of the relationship (or almost complete), take complete control for themselves (or almost complete), or someone who will stand their ground and treat you like an equal, expecting the same in return?

I ask because an INTJ very close friend of mine (and ex-girlfriend) was in an on-and-off relationship with this very submissive guy for like 6 years but would often complain that he couldn't stand up for himself, but when the two of us dated (during one of the off parts of the long relationship), I did not submit or control but the relationship went nowhere and she ended it after about a month. Granted, I may have mocked her religion while we were discussing something, not thinking she would take it personally.

She seems to like being the boss but also likes to complain about other people not being independent or standing up for themselves.

I'd have a VERY tough time being with someone who couldn't stand up for themselves or wasn't independent. I have no issue with partners being on equal footing although there will always be areas one ipartner may have more power than the other, not necessarily over the other. The INTJ you're describing isn't going to be in a successful relationship until they find out what they really want. It almost sounds like she wanted submission yet wanted them to fight back at the same time. My enjoyment of D/s is sexual in nature although it bleeds outside those lines at times. It has no bearing on how we function day to day, parenting, our careers etc.