• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

unicorncandy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A little off topic, but my husband is an INTJ, and I think you guys are the coolest. Great pair for an ENFP in my experience. He's my rock and I'm his sunshine. We do have trouble getting the cleaning and other mundane chores done (hanging a picture, working on a budget, getting an oil change). I love his sharp wit and authentic interests. Two shouts for INTJs!

I love the ENFP in my life. ENFP for the win!

W

WhoCares

As for my question, I believe ive asked this of INTJ's before somewhere, but when it comes to Ni as a function; how does it appear to you?
?

I've explained this before but I cant remember where. Anyway....here goes. Ni is like a background processor that I don't even notice functioning. All this data comes in, I filter then somewhere a little epiphany goes off where I connect the dots and come to a sudden conclusion. It really is like epiphany, effortless and things just suddenly make sense to my internal concept of the world. That's not to say that things make sense to anyone else though. I realise now that I only pay attention to the world in so far as gathering data for my internal world. My Ni is just the engine that sifts and sorts the data until it makes sense.

The older I get the less inclined I am to pay much attention to the outer world, my inner world gets higher priority as time goes by and the outer world gets less interesting as I age too. I do get this 'seen it all before' syndrome about the outer world where my Ni starts shutting stimuli off because I've already processed similar stuff before and am no longer interested in taking that data in. I suppose this is what drives the famous INTJ propensity to form opinions and rarely if ever change them.

The older I get the more I rely on Ni to make sense of it all and to filter the clutter which is the external world. In person I am extremely withdrawn to the point where I don't interact with others unless necessary. Even then I come across as spacey and not really there. I have no interest in proving my rightness to others, explaining anything or even caring about the world outside of my head. I am almost entirely driven by Ni in this respect. It doesn't bother me much that I may be very disconnected from others, the world at large and even misinterpreting everything external in a totally inaccurate way. My internal world is my escape and I go there as often as possible. As long as I can basically function externally the rest doesn't matter.

To put it into visual terms, I am a visual thinker, Ni is like a TV screen turned off that periodically displays a picture for a few seconds then turns off again. When the picture displays I am wholly paying attention to it, taking in every minute detail and committing it to memory. I experience a heightened sense of reality in that moment but once the picture fades I go back into a lower level of awareness generally and do the zombie thing of going through the motions until the next picture shows.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Intjs and self deprecating humor.

Does it exist?

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Does it exist?
I, for one, have come to see the humor in my dorky, ridiculous, and/or contradictory behavior.

Edit: [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] has a point, though. I think younger INTJs tend to take themselves way too seriously. They can be perfectionists, and they try to live up to impossibly high, self-imposed standards, and when they inevitably fall short of them, they take it hard. They have to accept that they're not perfect; that nobody is, and that it's okay. If you can't laugh at yourself, it only makes it easier for others to do it for you.

The more you know ------*

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
When they're older, yes.

Merging with weaker functions happens with maturity, which in return help one deal with weaknesses.

Thanks. Happened when getting older?

I, for one, have come to see the humor in my dorky, ridiculous, and/or contradictory behavior.

Edit: [MENTION=5999]PeaceBaby[/MENTION] has a point, though. I think younger INTJs tend to take themselves way too seriously. They can be perfectionists, and they try to live up to impossibly high, self-imposed standards, and when they inevitably fall short of them, they take it hard. They have to accept that they're not perfect; that nobody is, and that it's okay. If you can't laugh at yourself, it only makes it easier for others to do it for you.

The more you know ------*

You dorky lady is an exception in you silly sense of humour to other intjs. Which is really cool actually. You and [MENTION=9310]uumlau[/MENTION] brought lightheartedness to the intj gang or definition.

Were you like this when you were younger? Uptight and shit i mean. Failing to take yourself lightly.

Thanks for the details. I didn't know they fall short of things. I have a best pal intj who complains of his shortcomings to me a lot. But he is a also a e6.

U no e6s lyk 2 complain! :D

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Does it exist?

Yeah, but you gotta catch us talking amongst ourselves, to a trusted friend or lover, or (possibly) an attentive INFP.

Thisica

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
5w4
Do you have good memories?

Theoretically INTJs should not?

However the three close INTJs I know from RL (all of whom I guessed were INTJs before giving the test and confirming it - though one of them got 50/50 on E Vs I) have remarkable memories.

They don't seem to have the ability to recollect in a sequential manner (like some ISTJs seem to gave) but good memories they do have.

For me--I vividly remember events which are personally meaningful--down to date and even time! But everything else is a blur at times, which doesn't help when it comes to writing a CV. :(

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
As most Nt without perfect memory , Intj are very bad at remembering details about the physical world ... Such as : where are my keys? , where is my pen?....
My Intj fathr who is a very good reader ( 50 books per months ) details aren't important ... understading the concept behind that is the priority ... Of course , this priority depend of the context and what is important for you at the moment .

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
As most Nt without perfect memory , Intj are very bad at remembering details about the physical world ... Such as : where are my keys? , where is my pen?....
My Intj fathr who is a very good reader ( 50 books per months ) details aren't important ... understading the concept behind that is the priority ... Of course , this priority depend of the context and what is important for you at the moment .

Eh. This is more my ENFJ's problem in my house. Details are quite important to me - how are you suppose to fully understand a concept without all the pieces?

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Eh. This is more my ENFJ's problem in my house. Details are quite important to me - how are you suppose to fully understand a concept without all the pieces?

(Tangential thought warning)

That is really kind of the gist of intuition, or, at least how it works huh? Like on the one hand I’d say I suck with ironing out the details or remembering this or that, but what I really mean to acknowledge is, if the details aren’t related to anything at all, then it’s all just loose information and thus tossed out from my memory. I tend to compose momentary understandings from various bits and pieces at a given time, what’s in front of me, thoughts on my mind at the time, etc. but...I imagine, Ni might not readily toss aside those loose details that I might initially deem useless, and perhaps you folks may end up finding use for it later to see how it fits into the bigger picture?

Oh! Synopsis of my ramblings above, I related to your post but it had me thinking of subtle differences in the way I build and understand things. :huh:...sometimes I think I should SERIOUSLY edit some of my posts on the forum to make them more coherent and linear. Well, they are, I swear!

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
(Tangential thought warning)

That is really kind of the gist of intuition, or, at least how it works huh? Like on the one hand I’d say I suck with ironing out the details or remembering this or that, but what I really mean to acknowledge is, if the details aren’t related to anything at all, then it’s all just loose information and thus tossed out from my memory. I tend to compose momentary understandings from various bits and pieces at a given time, what’s in front of me, thoughts on my mind at the time, etc. but...I imagine, Ni might not readily toss aside those loose details that I might initially deem useless, and perhaps you folks may end up finding use for it later to see how it fits into the bigger picture?

Oh! Synopsis of my ramblings above, I related to your post but it had me thinking of subtle differences in the way I build and understand things. :huh:...sometimes I think I should SERIOUSLY edit some of my posts on the forum to make them more coherent and linear. Well, they are, I swear!

Nah, you're fine.

I imagine, Ni might not readily toss aside those loose details that I might initially deem useless, and perhaps you folks may end up finding use for it later to see how it fits into the bigger picture?

Yes, exactly. Ni works with Se (unaware of course) to bring in all that sensory stuff so INTJ's can assemble that puzzle or concept in this case. It's the viewfinder I see through, always have. I don't like to think of the poor decision or conclusion I would come to without all the data.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It is much easier to remember details if they fit into some broader framework. If I can see the framework readily, the details are just there.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Man ... intj's make everything so fucking boring , i already have my intj dad to talk about useless things.
Can intj detach themself from their Fi? ... most of the time is just annoying and logical incorrect.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Man ... intj's make everything so fucking boring , i already have my intj dad to talk about useless things.
Can intj detach themself from their Fi? ... most of the time is just annoying and logical incorrect.
Of course we can. I am told it is not always advisable, though, especially if it becomes a habit.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Of course we can. I am told it is not always advisable, though, especially if it becomes a habit.

Actually bro is fucking funny when i need that Fi point of view and others times i need a Fe point of view i guess that cliche story of ur second half isn't that far from the true.... is just real.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9

Knowing how much it irritates you is likely part of the appeal for INTJ's.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
Knowing how much it irritates you is likely part of the appeal for INTJ's.

For sure man , Their Fi is actually the most annoying part of them but i would lie if i say i don't like it ... sometimes xDD.