• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

R

Riva

Do you have good memories?

Theoretically INTJs should not?

However the three close INTJs I know from RL (all of whom I guessed were INTJs before giving the test and confirming it - though one of them got 50/50 on E Vs I) have remarkable memories.

They don't seem to have the ability to recollect in a sequential manner (like some ISTJs seem to gave) but good memories they do have.

I like to repeat this question.

Engineer

Dependable Skeleton
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
question time.

if someone has been smoking pot, non stop for 6 months and their girlfriend/boyfriend swallowed their cum, would she fail a drug test?

potato.jpg

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My memory is selectively excellent. I remember many things with exacting detail (but not always the most useful things), and others hardly at all.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx

However the three close INTJs I know from RL (all of whom I guessed were INTJs before giving the test and confirming it - though one of them got 50/50 on E Vs I) have remarkable memories.

They don't seem to have the ability to recollect in a sequential manner (like some ISTJs seem to gave) but good memories they do have.

I think I'm going senile, and I'm only 28. DAMNIT. FUCK. I started going senile when I was 21. Had more trouble concentrating, very easily distracted by noise. I'm forgetful now. And I don't focus too well. If I really try I can concentrate though :D

My memory is getting worse too. I'm more herp derp, the older I get. Heerrp derp. I'm less rigid. More....... uh.... artsy/feely. Nasty, I know.

Bilateral Entry

Internet User
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
question time.

if someone has been smoking pot, non stop for 6 months and their girlfriend/boyfriend swallowed their cum, would she fail a drug test?

I'd have to see a video of it to properly answer.

Ash

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am an INFJ and my girlfriend is an INTJ. She wants compliments but not just any compliments, they have to be "specific." I pretty much fail every time. How can I compliment her in the way that she needs?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
I am an INFJ and my girlfriend is an INTJ. She wants compliments but not just any compliments, they have to be "specific." I pretty much fail every time. How can I compliment her in the way that she needs?

Figure out how her mind works/how she looks at things, and, in doing so, figure out compliments that she would find valuable/noteworthy.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team

My memory is odd.

I can have a great memory about some things.

And, when I was a kid, I was noted for having a really good memory.

But, as I've gotten older, my memory seems to have gotten worse.

I can still recall many details with great vividness, but I'll also completely forget about entire happenings.

It's like sometimes my mind has its record button on, and, when it does, it can remember in phenomenal detail.

But, at other times, the record button simply is not on, or what had once been recorded has simply been recorded over.

By comparison, my ISTJ best friend can immediately recall the scores of games from his college team's games for the entire 2004 season.

It boggles my mind how he's able to do it.

G

Ginkgo

My memory is odd.

I can have a great memory about some things.

And, when I was a kid, I was noted for having a really good memory.

But, as I've gotten older, my memory seems to have gotten worse.

I can still recall many details with great vividness, but I'll also completely forget about entire happenings.

It's like sometimes my mind has its record button on, and, when it does, it can remember in phenomenal detail.

But, at other times, the record button simply is not on, or what had once been recorded has simply been recorded over.

By comparison, my ISTJ best friend can immediately recall the scores of games from his college team's games for the entire 2004 season.

It boggles my mind how he's able to do it.

Is your memory mostly visual/concrete/spacial etc., or is it mostly conceptual/logical/linguistic? Or auditory?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Most of the NTPs I've asked have said that they have more of a conceptual sort of memory; it blows my mind since I'm more visual/spacial myself.

Hmmm...

Nardi had some interesting stuff to say about this wrt Ni/Se types...

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I am the same way. I don't seek compliments, but if they are not specific, they are meaningless to me. An easy way is to include examples. Instead of telling her she is a good cook, tell her what exactly you like about it, or which things she makes that you especially like, and why. If you appreciate that she is very loyal to her friends, again pick a specific example of her supporting a friend when that was difficult to do, and why that is important to you.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I am the same way. I don't seek compliments, but if they are not specific, they are meaningless to me. An easy way is to include examples. Instead of telling her she is a good cook, tell her what exactly you like about it, or which things she makes that you especially like, and why. If you appreciate that she is very loyal to her friends, again pick a specific example of her supporting a friend when that was difficult to do, and why that is important to you.

I agree with this, after all it is easy to throw out a general comment of appreciation that doesn't in fact express anything at all. Far better to pick up on the specifics within the context of the thing that they are being complimented about.

That shows, at the least, that you were both paying attention and understanding what it is that person actually put into the process, (or a process they may have invented themselves), rather than a generic feel good throw-away comment.

I don't know if I am right, but with NTJ's especially INTJ's, they seem to prefer being appreciated for their skill and competency in an area and individually so. Possibly more so about what it is they do differently as well, that others have missed, as opposed to just doing the same thing, but better. Of course, they don't really go out of their way for it, nor do they really need it, but a true compliment is what it is. Of course people could say you could make this argument for any type, but I think it is more applicable to NTJ's.

NTP's for example would most likely appreciate people attempting to understand or at least acknowledge the structural accuracy of their logic.

As for my question, I believe ive asked this of INTJ's before somewhere, but when it comes to Ni as a function; how does it appear to you?

Is it a series of conscious efforts that come together into a cohesive whole? Or is it more of an instinctive notion working away in the background...hollowing things out sometimes without you even noticing? Which then suddenly presents an answer you didn't necessarily look for, but which turns out to be important and necessary anyhow?

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with this, after all it is easy to throw out a general comment of appreciation that doesn't in fact express anything at all. Far better to pick up on the specifics within the context of the thing that they are being complimented about.

That shows, at the least, that you were both paying attention and understanding what it is that person actually put into the process, (or a process they may have invented themselves), rather than a generic feel good throw-away comment.
I see a compliment as no different from any other statement or assertion, meaning if you cannot support it with evidence and reasoning, I will likely discount it. It might feel good to think I am accomplished in some way or possess some good quality, but if that is not the reality of the situation, I am deluding myself. This applies also to flattery, which I reject out of hand.

I don't know if I am right, but with NTJ's especially INTJ's, they seem to prefer being appreciated for their skill and competency in an area and individually so. Possibly more so about what it is they do differently as well, that others have missed, as opposed to just doing the same thing, but better. Of course, they don't really go out of their way for it, nor do they really need it, but a true compliment is what it is. Of course people could say you could make this argument for any type, but I think it is more applicable to NTJ's.
I don't mind compliments unrelated to skill and competency, but again, be specific, or they will sound vague and empty.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I see a compliment as no different from any other statement or assertion, meaning if you cannot support it with evidence and reasoning, I will likely discount it. It might feel good to think I am accomplished in some way or possess some good quality, but if that is not the reality of the situation, I am deluding myself. This applies also to flattery, which I reject out of hand.

I don't mind compliments unrelated to skill and competency, but again, be specific, or they will sound vague and empty.

I see. Well to be fair, even I don't always like flattery, because there is usually a give and take there with the flattery as a tool to meet some end at my expense.

CRC

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w5
Instinctual Variant
sx
As a fellow INTJ, I find your description of your memory extremely similar to my own.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A little off topic, but my husband is an INTJ, and I think you guys are the coolest. Great pair for an ENFP in my experience. He's my rock and I'm his sunshine. We do have trouble getting the cleaning and other mundane chores done (hanging a picture, working on a budget, getting an oil change). I love his sharp wit and authentic interests. Two shouts for INTJs!

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
A little off topic, but my husband is an INTJ, and I think you guys are the coolest. Great pair for an ENFP in my experience. He's my rock and I'm his sunshine. We do have trouble getting the cleaning and other mundane chores done (hanging a picture, working on a budget, getting an oil change). I love his sharp wit and authentic interests. Two shouts for INTJs!

:solidarity: