• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTJ] Ask an INTJ

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
can you figure out the conductivity of an element using the atomic weight?
assuming your talking about electrical conductivity.
I don`t know shit about this but it sounded like a challenge. Looks like you can`t use weight precisely but i guess you could use it for estimates. im guessing temperature plays a role on some materials.

if so or not, how would you go about finding something like this out?
Well thats a big one isn`t it.

I also suck at chemistry and stuff but i know the electrons jumps with the speed of light and that there is some time delay before the other electron jumps further (speed of light)
I also think its related to the amount of electrons in the outer shell of the atoms if its full it will lead better i think. or become a unstable isotope. Just guessing.

Magnetic abilities in steel is related to the structure in the steel so if we look at stainless steel we will also se that it does conducts heat better than ordinary steel.
We have a pattern now..

Copper leads heat briliantly and so does aluminum. that i know.
Gold, silver, copper and aluminum does all corrodate poorly or not at all.

By mixing materials and observing their heat conductivity and corrosion rate you could perhaps get some indicators. and blablabla.
happy with your answer?

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of you INTJ's say that you respect people who stand up for themselves and who are not doormats. When I stand up to the xxTJ's (Te, Fi) that I know IRL, one of two things seems to happen:

1. It turns into an argument/pissing match.
2. Sometimes I walk away feeling like I may have been "too" straightforward and triggered some Fi sadness.

If you're very blunt and even critical with someone (Te), what do you expect their response to be to you? It's logical that they would most likely "punch back", right? So, if you come at someone with cold, hard Te, how could that person ideally respond to you? If we cower and walk away, then we're a doormat. If we stand firm and "punch back", then we're argumentative. What's the happy medium?

1) I like people who stand up to me, if they do so by providing at least some evidence rather than opinion > ALL.
2) I also have no difficulty with those who stand up to me on the basis of purely emotional reasons if they state it is for emotional reasons.
3) If you come with that weak 'well... socially blah blah, technically blah blah, can't quantify blah blah' its all very boring.
4) Worse if you decide to make the conversation about either one upmanship or your mental gymnastics/masturbation purely to avoid discussing pure logic or evidence.

INTPness. You should have just stuck with Jim's answer. He told you almost the exact same thing I said but with fewer words (and bullet points! :wubbie:).

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTPness. You should have just stuck with Jim's answer. He told you almost the exact same thing I said but with fewer words (and bullet points! :wubbie:).

Yeah, should have gone with 1 thread. Ah well! Double the pleasure, double the fun. :D

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
LOL @ #3. Thanks for the info.

I have specific scenarios in my head where a Te user would say something very "bold" IRL, either to me or to a 3rd party. And then when myself or the 3rd party punches back with something even "more bold", then the Te user seemed offended or sad when they realized the truth in the other person's statement.

Te user: You're an incompetent idiot.
Other person: Obviously you're the idiot if you've been stuck doing manual labor your whole life.
Te user: :(

Te user: This is the 3rd day in a row you've been 10 minutes late.
Other person: Yeah, but the job always gets done.
Te user: Look, don't argue with me or you'll be out of here.
Other person: *grabs personal belongings* Bye! Good luck on the rest of the project. :bye:
Te user: What did I do that was so bad?

I'm not being critical here, I'm just pointing out situations I've seen where I'm thinking to myself, "What did the Te user expect when they spoke that way to the other person? The other person had no intention whatsoever of engaging in verbal combat, but because Te threw the first stone, and the other person was not "a doormat", it turned into an ugly and unnecessary (maybe hurtful) situation.

First problem, why would Te users be manual labourers.
Second problem, as a Te user who makes certain to turn up for late at least 15-30 minutes every day, I don't really understand the point. The only types I have found to be like this are 'ESFJ/ESTJ' micromanagement (eurgh) types.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
First problem, why would Te users be manual labourers.

I'm not really sure "why". I guess that would be a question better suited for you than me. They could be auto mechanics, they could run a construction business, they could be plumbers, they could be facilities maintenance personnel at universities, they could be petrol station attendants (I have done this, as have you), etc, etc, ad finitum.

Second problem, as a Te user who makes certain to turn up for late at least 15-30 minutes every day, I don't really understand the point. The only types I have found to be like this are 'ESFJ/ESTJ' micromanagement (eurgh) types.

Yeah, and maybe the N makes a big difference between the S in terms of seeing the consequences that could come out of speaking to someone a certain way - I dunno. LOL @ being late to work on purpose. :D

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
I'm not really sure "why". I guess that would be a question better suited for you than me. They could be auto mechanics, they could run a construction business, they could be plumbers, they could be facilities maintenance personnel at universities, they could be petrol station attendants (I have done this, as have you), etc, etc, ad finitum.

Yeah, and maybe the N makes a big difference between the S in terms of seeing the consequences that could come out of speaking to someone a certain way - I dunno. LOL @ being late to work on purpose. :D

You also make the assumption that these wouldn't be Fe traits... the less said about that the better.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
You also make the assumption that these wouldn't be Fe traits... the less said about that the better.

I make no such assumption. We can have that discussion as well if you'd like. But here, in this thread, my question to Te users still stands.

Nicodemus

If you're very blunt and even critical with someone (Te), what do you expect their response to be to you? It's logical that they would most likely "punch back", right? So, if you come at someone with cold, hard Te, how could that person ideally respond to you? If we cower and walk away, then we're a doormat. If we stand firm and "punch back", then we're argumentative. What's the happy medium?
I expect the other person to either accept my point or refute it without getting personal. If the other person 'punches back', we quickly enter the realm of the personal, where we are no longer talking about objective things (someone being regularly late can be an objective thing as well) but about each other. In the realm of the personal, only arguments ad hominem work and only cruelty wins. Usually that is not intended at all.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I expect the other person to either accept my point or refute it without getting personal. If the other person 'punches back', we quickly enter the realm of the personal, where we are no longer talking about objective things (someone being regularly late can be an objective thing as well) but about each other. In the realm of the personal, only arguments ad hominem work and only cruelty wins. Usually that is not intended at all.

I see. In terms of the bolded part, this is where it can *sometimes* (not always) break down for me in communications with Te users. If I accept their point, then all is well. But, if I begin to refute it, it often seems to get hostile - I'll chalk this up as not being anyone's *fault* per se, but just a result of how the 2 of us are communicating (or failing to communicate at that moment). It's as if I've properly refuted it, but they they're angry with me and still not buying into it. I guess it can be (a) they don't believe that I properly refuted it, or (b) as one of the ENTJ's said, maybe when they mull it over, they will realize that I had a point.

It just seems like if I choose the "accept what Te user says" route, then I'm in good standing with them. If I choose the "refute what Te user said route", then I'm opening a HUGE can of worms and arguments and maybe even mutual hostility - which I don't want. Let's face it - a good debate is fun once in a while, but sometimes it turns ugly and can get in the middle of friendships and work relationships, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
It just seems like if I choose the "accept what Te user says" route, then I'm in good standing with them. If I choose the "refute what Te user said route", then I'm opening a HUGE can of worms and arguments and maybe even mutual hostility - which I don't want. Let's face it - a good debate is fun once in a while, but sometimes it turns ugly and can get in the middle of friendships and work relationships, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Have you consider if it is you making it a personal issue?

Uytuun

MBTI Type
nnnn
I see. In terms of the bolded part, this is where it can *sometimes* (not always) break down for me in communications with Te users. If I accept their point, then all is well. But, if I begin to refute it, it often seems to get hostile - I'll chalk this up as not being anyone's *fault* per se, but just a result of how the 2 of us are communicating (or failing to communicate at that moment). It's as if I've properly refuted it, but they they're angry with me and still not buying into it. I guess it can be (a) they don't believe that I properly refuted it, or (b) as one of the ENTJ's said, maybe when they mull it over, they will realize that I had a point.

It's probably a communication issue, you're not following the Te code, a code deeply involved with the debate form. Debate IME is not necessarily about having a correct point, it's more about getting to make a point and acrobatics of the mind - NTJs do it elegantly, with skill and precision, you might be frustrating their art(ifice?).

Form and valid content need not be mutually exclusive here and the mental pingpong is actually a great way to provoke new insight (but in the sense of the other person's response inspiring something in *you*, not in the Ne new data-gathering sense)...which can then be interpellated later on. In that way it's just an enjoyable means to an end.

Of course things get a lot easier when NTJs learn that debate is just one form of many that can be used to relate to the world, that it carries within it certain (restrictive) assumptions and dangers. Which opens the question as to what debate *should* be like.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have specific scenarios in my head where a Te user would say something very "bold" IRL, either to me or to a 3rd party.

Te user: You're an incompetent idiot.
Other person: Obviously you're the idiot if you've been stuck doing manual labor your whole life.
Te user: :(

Te user: This is the 3rd day in a row you've been 10 minutes late.
Other person: Yeah, but the job always gets done.
Te user: Look, don't argue with me or you'll be out of here.
Other person: *grabs personal belongings* Bye! Good luck on the rest of the project. :bye:
Te user: What did I do that was so bad?
You have odd ideas of what constitutes a Te comment. To me, in conversation 1, "you're an incompetent idiot" is just an insult. A real Te criticism would point out exactly what the other person did that was idiotic. The Te reply to the other person's comment about manual labor would then be something like, "That is irrelevant. You still did x and y, which are idiotic because . . . "

In the second conversation, "look, don't argue with me . . . " sounds much more Fi than Te. It is a threat, not a valid criticism. A Te reply would be, "yes, the job gets done, but you know we always start the day with a conference call with the customer, and when you walk in late every day, it makes a bad impression." Or even, "yes, but the rules say everyone must be at their desk by 9:00."

As Jim stated (very well), I look for push-back that consists of facts and logic, or at least clearly acknowledged emotional preferences.

Rex

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Its just my impression. I have not encountered many enough, so i guess i should take it back. But i would say that your kind asking for more info does not have ENTP writhen over it.
a ENTP girl i encountered was very critical to Myers and briggs and it was justified. She sure was a T tho. she and i was having a discussion about MBTI.

some OT. Some of my easiest conversations online i have had with a INFJ. I did hurt her feelings a bit but she came back after she had been thinking it through and seen my logic/honnesty.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Have you consider if it is you making it a personal issue?

Well, yeah, I'm prone to consider *all* possibilities, including ones where I have gone wrong. On the other hand, I refuse to believe that the miscommunications are ALWAYS my fault and never the Te user's fault. Usually, it's probably going to be somewhere in the middle. You know, like when you have 2 sides of a story, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle of those two stories.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
It's probably a communication issue, you're not following the Te code, a code deeply involved with the debate form. Debate IME is not necessarily about having a correct point, it's more about getting to make a point and acrobatics of the mind - NTJs do it elegantly, with skill and precision, you might be frustrating their art(ifice?).

Form and valid content need not be mutually exclusive here and the mental pingpong is actually a great way to provoke new insight (but in the sense of the other person's response inspiring something in *you*, not in the Ne new data-gathering sense)...which can then be interpellated later on. In that way it's just an enjoyable means to an end.

Of course things get a lot easier when NTJs learn that debate is just one form of many that can be used to relate to the world, that it carries within it certain (restrictive) assumptions and dangers. Which opens the question as to what debate *should* be like.

I see. This is good feedback.

You have odd ideas of what constitutes a Te comment. To me, in conversation 1, "you're an incompetent idiot" is just an insult. A real Te criticism would point out exactly what the other person did that was idiotic. The Te reply to the other person's comment about manual labor would then be something like, "That is irrelevant. You still did x and y, which are idiotic because . . . "

In the second conversation, "look, don't argue with me . . . " sounds much more Fi than Te. It is a threat, not a valid criticism. A Te reply would be, "yes, the job gets done, but you know we always start the day with a conference call with the customer, and when you walk in late every day, it makes a bad impression." Or even, "yes, but the rules say everyone must be at their desk by 9:00."

As Jim stated (very well), I look for push-back that consists of facts and logic, or at least clearly acknowledged emotional preferences.

I should say that in no way, shape, or form do I experience these type of Te comments *all the time* from Te users. I chose extreme examples, where the Te user in question sort of "went off the deep end* or lost his cool a little bit. I chose examples where the Te user resorted to brute force instead of their normal way of going about things.

If it provides any relief, I'm starting to believe the 2nd person was ESTJ rather than NTJ - and the first person was definitely ESTJ. Those poor ESTJ's - everybody is always picking on them. And I'm slowly becoming convinced that INTJ's can do no wrong. :D I keed, I keed.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Well, yeah, I'm prone to consider *all* possibilities, including ones where I have gone wrong. On the other hand, I refuse to believe that the miscommunications are ALWAYS my fault and never the Te user's fault. Usually, it's probably going to be somewhere in the middle. You know, like when you have 2 sides of a story, the truth is usually somewhere in the middle of those two stories.

In my experience dealing with Fe sensitive individuals tends to go thusly.

Ti flavour NT : Blah de blah and thus blah blah!
Te flavour NT : Consider fact this, doesn't seem likely/right
Ti flavour NT : This is an important idea don't you support me, aren't you my friend/but but but, pissing contest of logical rhetoric because you can't consider that?!
Te flavour NT : Look its an observation and the logic doesn't follow / do you really expect me to accept you trying to piss on me rather than considering the observation?
Ti flavour NT : YOU ARE A MONSTER WHO MAKES ME UPSET, moan moan moan.
Te flavour NT : This is why you can't have a reasonable impersonal discussion with Ti flavour NT, because ever idea and thought is a personal issue.
Ti flavour NT : This is why you can't have a reasonable discussion with Te flavour NT, because they keep trying to prove me wrong AND I WIN.
Te flavour NT : *shrugs* How ironic. Cool story

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Heh. I've criticized Fe myself for other reasons. For an example, see here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/49064-fe-fake-manipulative.html

So, yeah, my inferior Fe is probably a bear to deal with. I'm guessing Fi might have some chinks in its armor as well...although I'd probably be hard pressed to find anyone willing to admit it.

So, the frustration from Ti users point of view (or at least mine at times), is that the Te user often wants to admit no fault...EVER. For ANYTHING. NEVER. Ti users will often consider what they have done wrong, they will consider the flaws in their own personality. And knowing that EVERYONE has inherent flaws, when we see flaws in others, we may go to them and ask them "Hey what's up with this flaw of yours? Help me understand better so we can communicate more effectively. Oh, and by the way, I know I have flaw x as well, so that might be playing a role too." We're not so concerned with "being able to prove that we're right". We just want to understand and improve on the communications. But, the Te user (or some of them) will often respond in a way as if to say, "Well, the problem obviously couldn't be my fault, therefore, let's focus on you and what you could be doing wrong." It's difficult to have a 1-sided conversation like that. Both parties have to be willing to consider what they maybe could have done better.

If you're saying "we absolutely only want facts. Nothing else." Then, my response would probably be - I guess I'll only communicate with Te users if I need a "yes" or "no". I won't bother them with the more complicated issues in life, the issues that have some "grey area" and that require diplomatic discussions, with both people willing to consider what they can each do better.

I dunno - sometimes seems like you can't "get anywhere" with certain Te users. You're just banging your head up against a wall because they aren't going to consider their part in something that has gone awry. By asking certain Te users, "how come I have this recurring issue with you...and others have the same issue with you...why is that?"........I'm just barking up the wrong tree with that question. Better to just let it go and accept that's how they are.

InvisibleJim

Permabanned
Heh. I've criticized Fe myself for other reasons. For an example, see here:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nf-idyllic/49064-fe-fake-manipulative.html

So, yeah, my inferior Fe is probably a bear to deal with. I'm guessing Fi might have some chinks in its armor as well...although I'd probably be hard pressed to find anyone willing to admit it.

So, the frustration from Ti users point of view (or at least mine at times), is that the Te user often wants to admit no fault...EVER. For ANYTHING. NEVER. Ti users will often consider what they have done wrong, they will consider the flaws in their own personality. And knowing that EVERYONE has inherent flaws, when we see flaws in others, we may go to them and ask them "Hey what's up with this flaw of yours? Help me understand better so we can communicate more effectively. Oh, and by the way, I know I have flaw x as well, so that might be playing a role too." We're not so concerned with "being able to prove that we're right". We just want to understand and improve on the communications. But, the Te user (or some of them) will often respond in a way as if to say, "Well, the problem obviously couldn't be my fault, therefore, let's focus on you and what you could be doing wrong." It's difficult to have a 1-sided conversation like that. Both parties have to be willing to consider what they maybe could have done better.

If you're saying "we absolutely only want facts. Nothing else." Then, my response would probably be - I guess I'll only communicate with Te users if I need a "yes" or "no". I won't bother them with the more complicated issues in life, the issues that have some "grey area" and that require diplomatic discussions, with both people willing to consider what they can each do better.

I dunno - sometimes seems like you can't "get anywhere" with certain Te users. You're just banging your head up against a wall because they aren't going to consider their part in something that has gone awry. By asking certain Te users, "how come I have this recurring issue with you...and others have the same issue with you...why is that?"........I'm just barking up the wrong tree with that question. Better to just let it go and accept that's how they are.

I don't think you have fully thought this through. :)