• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] INTP vs ENTP

scorpiomover

I'm curious about how this trait might carry over to other activities besides the strictly academic, such as sports, dating or any other hobby.
Jung pointed out that Ne-doms tend to be social butterflies. In dating, they tend to flit from boyfriend to boyfriend. In activities, they tend to try something for a while, and then move on, when something else catches their interest. Sometimes they stay with someone for ages, and in some things, they seem to be completely comfortable to stick with them for their entire lives. But whenever I see such people, there is always another new idea that has caught their interest, that they are trying out.

scorpiomover

ENTPs tend to follow their ideas blindly trying to make sense of them on the go, while INTPs tend to stop and think before doing anything about the ideas or even considering the idea to be worth while and not some weird ass shit that popped out of nowhere
True. But ENTPs, being extroverts, also tend to pay attention to what others say, and so they tend to express at least something that makes others think they have some idea of what they are doing, even if it's a bit risky.

INTPs do tend to think before they leap. But being introverts, they don't tend to think about how others might interpret their actions. So they often give no indication to others that they have any clue about what they are doing. So they often come across like an ENTP who has gone insane. Quite often, the people who don't panic when an INTP does something, are those who've known him for a long time, and thus know from long experience that they usually know what they are doing.

So, while you are right, the way ENTPs and INTPs usually appear to other people, is that ENTPs are trying something they thought about, but not completely, and is a bit risky, and might be a total waste of time, while INTPs look like they have no idea what they're doing, and have completely lost the plot, and so usually, they look the other way around.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On Barbossa and INTPs: I think we've come to stereotype INTPs as nerdy or super-intelligent, and the only place we could possibly see them in the past would be behind a desk, in a library. However, the reality is that in different occupations, they would look quite different. Have you noticed that Barbossa lacks a clear goal? It mights seem like he wants to dominate the seas or something of the sort, but the truth is, he doesn't really have a plan either...unlike most ENTJs.

scorpiomover

Hm...could be. I've noticed similarities between both types to him, but he seems more INTP to me at least.
I was a bit confiused, as an ENTP, being an Ne-dom, would be brimming with ideas, while your comment was indicative of someone who was waiting for someone else to make the decisions for him. So I looked up quotes for Barbarossa, and recalled the films, which I had watched several times. He seemed to be pretty focussed on what practically concerned him and his crew. He also seemed to relish taking charge. He also seemed to be very uninterested in the theory of how and why he and his crew became ghosts. He seemed to be only interested in becoming human again. So he seemed to lack a lot of the characteristics of INTPs, and seemed to have a fair bit of the characteristics of a Te-dom. So I thought that ENTJ was more likely than INTP.

On Barbossa and INTPs: I think we've come to stereotype INTPs as nerdy or super-intelligent, and the only place we could possibly see them in the past would be behind a desk, in a library. However, the reality is that in different occupations, they would look quite different. Have you noticed that Barbossa lacks a clear goal? It mights seem like he wants to dominate the seas or something of the sort, but the truth is, he doesn't really have a plan either...unlike most ENTJs.
Well, I could look at the whole thing from scratch.

Barbarossa is definitely a take-charge sort of guy, and usually has a plan, when he wants to do something. Just look at how he handled the British in the first film. Doesn't let on about his plan to have his crew walk under water, and take the British, using their immortality as ghosts. So I'd say that he has to be a J.

He seems to be more interested in what practically concerns him, which suggests T. But then again, he seems to mostly be interested in fulfilling his own desires. So I can see both sides there.

Definitely not an Idealist, though. So definitely not an xFJ. So he has to be an xTJ.

He seems to keep his own counsel, using his crew as an extension of himself. So on reflection, he could be an I. But way too smiley, to be an INTJ. Way too inventive in his plans and his communications, to be an ISTJ. So I'd say ENTJ, or possibly ESTJ. I'd favour ENTJ, because he likes to challenge people so much.

Probably why he can follow what Sparrow says, but argues with him so much. ENTPs and INTJs normally get on, because they are both Intuitive dominants. ExTJs and ENTPs are both extroverts. But their thinking is driven by entirely different perspectives. The Te-dom is driven by what is useful to him, while the Ne-dom is driven by the possibilities that can be achieved.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I was a bit confiused, as an ENTP, being an Ne-dom, would be brimming with ideas, while your comment was indicative of someone who was waiting for someone else to make the decisions for him. So I looked up quotes for Barbarossa, and recalled the films, which I had watched several times. He seemed to be pretty focussed on what practically concerned him and his crew. He also seemed to relish taking charge. He also seemed to be very uninterested in the theory of how and why he and his crew became ghosts. He seemed to be only interested in becoming human again. So he seemed to lack a lot of the characteristics of INTPs, and seemed to have a fair bit of the characteristics of a Te-dom. So I thought that ENTJ was more likely than INTP.

Well, I could look at the whole thing from scratch.

Barbarossa is definitely a take-charge sort of guy, and usually has a plan, when he wants to do something. Just look at how he handled the British in the first film. Doesn't let on about his plan to have his crew walk under water, and take the British, using their immortality as ghosts. So I'd say that he has to be a J.

He seems to be more interested in what practically concerns him, which suggests T. But then again, he seems to mostly be interested in fulfilling his own desires. So I can see both sides there.

Definitely not an Idealist, though. So definitely not an xFJ. So he has to be an xTJ.

He seems to keep his own counsel, using his crew as an extension of himself. So on reflection, he could be an I. But way too smiley, to be an INTJ. Way too inventive in his plans and his communications, to be an ISTJ. So I'd say ENTJ, or possibly ESTJ. I'd favour ENTJ, because he likes to challenge people so much.

Probably why he can follow what Sparrow says, but argues with him so much. ENTPs and INTJs normally get on, because they are both Intuitive dominants. ExTJs and ENTPs are both extroverts. But their thinking is driven by entirely different perspectives. The Te-dom is driven by what is useful to him, while the Ne-dom is driven by the possibilities that can be achieved.

I don't think INTPs would be interested in the phenomenon of such a wretched existence instead of getting rid of it. I mean, I doubt, say, a poisoned INTP would first study the effects of the poison on the body and then try to cure it - one would have to be quite an imbecile to do so.

INTPs can also take charge: one need not be a judger to take charge. INTPs tend to take charge of a situation when they find others in the group too idiotic to do anything productive (note that Barbossa's crew was made up of imbeciles).

scorpiomover

I don't think INTPs would be interested in the phenomenon of such a wretched existence instead of getting rid of it. I mean, I doubt, say, a poisoned INTP would first study the effects of the poison on the body and then try to cure it - one would have to be quite an imbecile to do so.
Antidotes tend to be poisonous in their own right. For the poisons that it works for, the body no longer has the poison, and so can deal with the side-effects of the antidote. But for the poisons that it doesn't work for, it just makes the body even more sick, and in the state of poisoning, that can be lethal.

So either you have to find a doctor who does recognise your poison, and the correct antidote, or you have to figure it out for yourself.

On the other hand, if there isn't a doctor around, you might worry that maybe you won't have the time. But if you're in such an emergency that you can't afford that long to look up what to do, then you don't have the time to run around looking for the right antidote either. So in that situation, you're screwed either way.

Far better to either find a doctor who does know what to do for you, or to figure it out, than try random experiments on an already extremely sick body that could provide the extra push to lethality.

INTPs can also take charge: one need not be a judger to take charge. INTPs tend to take charge of a situation when they find others in the group too idiotic to do anything productive (note that Barbossa's crew was made up of imbeciles).
That's ONE thing that INTPs can do. Mind so, when in a situation where you HAVE to go with the group, like on a ship at sea, and the rest of the group are imbeciles, I think that everyone would agree that someone has to take charge, and that the only person on board who is not an imbecile is that person, then everyone would say they would take charge under such circumstances.

However, if there was another person who wants to take charge, and seems to have a handle on what to do, say, Captain Jack Sparrow, I think that an INTP would probably leave it to him to make the decisions, and then point out the flaws in his plans from the sidelines.

Aesthete

Gone
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That's ONE thing that INTPs can do. Mind so, when in a situation where you HAVE to go with the group, like on a ship at sea, and the rest of the group are imbeciles, I think that everyone would agree that someone has to take charge, and that the only person on board who is not an imbecile is that person, then everyone would say they would take charge under such circumstances.

However, if there was another person who wants to take charge, and seems to have a handle on what to do, say, Captain Jack Sparrow, I think that an INTP would probably leave it to him to make the decisions, and then point out the flaws in his plans from the sidelines.

About the poison: I meant to say that if you know the cure, you'll go for it rather than contemplate on the disease.

As for your second point, I will admit that I haven't thought of it that way. You might be correct.

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
There are plenty of INTP's that do turn projects into realities though they are perfectionist. By the same token even though ENTP's may do more projects they may put less thought into them. Also ENTP's are often interested in a varitey of projects and ideas and will pursue something new for novelties sake. While INTP's on the other hand are more focused and may be attracted to new ideas and novelty but if it doesn't have an application or connection to their intellectual principals. They will discard it. In other words ENTP's might make more and a greater variety and Quantity of ideas and discoveries. But INTP's often put more thought and focus into building an idea. So to me ENTP's slightly more Quantity, INTP's slightly more Quality. Being an INTP I'm biased for the Later. Convenient how you seem to highlight the strengths of ENTP against mentioning little of the weaknesses.(Which I have done.) No type is "better" then another overall. Some may simply be more adept at select situations. If this thread was judging which type would be better in certain situations. We'd have somewhere to start from.

dpolaristar

MBTI Type
INTP
INTP live in their heads and are too afraid to excercise their ideas. They prefer to keep the ideas in their brain and indulge in abstract thought because they fear uncertainy. Thats why they make good professors and intellectual eggheads in academia.

ENTP experiment with ideas and would gladly suffer the consequences. they want turn idea into action and become something tangible in reality. Sometimes the consequence could be as devastating as losing their entire fortune or taking part in a sucidal venture. But ENTP don't care because they can live with the failure. They rather do it than entertain the idea in their head. ENTP are also less cautious and can seem reckless at times. They don't overanalyze like the INTP and are less intelligent than their introverted brothers. ENTP experiments tend to be out of control and scary for more cautious types (like ISTJ).

There are plenty of INTP's that do turn projects into realities though they are perfectionist. By the same token even though ENTP's may do more projects they may put less thought into them. Also ENTP's are often interested in a varitey of projects and ideas and will pursue something new for novelties sake. While INTP's on the other hand are more focused and may be attracted to new ideas and novelty but if it doesn't have an application or connection to their intellectual principals. They will discard it. In other words ENTP's might make more and a greater variety and Quantity of ideas and discoveries. But INTP's often put more thought and focus into building an idea. So to me ENTP's slightly more Quantity, INTP's slightly more Quality. Being an INTP I'm biased for the Later. Convenient how you seem to highlight the strengths of ENTP against mentioning little of the weaknesses.(Which I have done.) No type is "better" then another overall. Some may simply be more adept at select situations. If this thread was judging which type would be better in certain situations. We'd have somewhere to start from.