• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Bobby Fischer an INTP or INTJ

A

A_priori

For those of you who are not familiar with who bobby Fischer was, he was the world chess Champaign from the mid 70s with a peak rating of almost 2800. He was a genius and an American icon who I believe will forever remain the worlds best chess player.

Anyways, I was just watching this documentary "Bobby Fischer against the world" and was trying to typecast what he might be. I'm thinking he's an INTP but he does show some characteristics or an INTJ, I was wondering what other NTs thought..

So INTP or INTJ and why?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about ISTP? (Even though chess is "strategic," it's could also be played for the thrill.)

I

Infinite Bubble

I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.

A

A_priori

He did play it for the thrill of seeing the opponent crack.

The ISTPs that I know wouldn't likely have the patience or interest for chess. This is strictly subjective as most everything on this forum. I only know of 3 ISTPs and none of them are into chess.

Nicodemus

I don't see how playing for the thrill would make one an ISTP to begin with.

A

A_priori

I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.

Intresting points made. It's funny because I equated the whole parinoia thing in the same light.

R

Riva

Are we to come to type him based on his chess strategies or reading about him or watching his interviews? - the third I believe is the best.

I haven't watched any videos/interviews of him.
I have read about him.
I haven't analysed his chess strategies - which I believe is a wrong way to type him or anyone.

So lets type him by his eccentric behaviours - INTP.

INTJs are eccentric but they are good at hiding them. Bobby Fischer not so much.

I'm of course stereotyping for the fun of it.

The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.

Chess is based on pattern recognition and counterattack. What better way to recognize patterns than to have seen them / studied them / memorized them? After awhile what one memorizes and applies over and over (practice) becomes reflex action. Sportsmen do it too. Memorizing must be Si but physically applying or simply applying when the moment is at hand isn't Si it's immediate reaction / reflex.

He was probably aiming for it.

How about ISTP? (Even though chess is "strategic," it's could also be played for the thrill.)

Is seeking thrill limited to SPs is a good question to ask.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The ISTPs that I know wouldn't likely have the patience or interest for chess. This is strictly subjective as most everything on this forum. I only know of 3 ISTPs and none of them are into chess.

Oh please, a lot of people like chess.

I don't see how playing for the thrill would make one an ISTP to begin with.

Artisan temperament (the thrill-seeking temperament).

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Occam's Razor. INTJ.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This guy is clearly a Mastermind INTJ, but if he isn't, he's an IxTP, based on the flow of the comments presented thus far.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I neither know nor care. He had unreasonably delicious hands, though.

am7ehd.jpg

He was probably a massive prick, but I bet the man got more box than the USPS.

nortia

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp
INTJs are calculating with their sometimes incredible foresight. In this respect I would say Mr Fischer was was an INTJ. Memorizing hundreds of different scenarios could have just been a confidence booster.

Nicodemus

According to Mr. Fischer, nothing in chess is more important than a good memory.

A

A_priori

Well I have played chess since i was a young kid and one thing I can tell you from experience is that even when I played at around 1700, it was difficult to remember anything past 10 moves from opening. With every move that is made in chess thousands upon thousands of differnt variables are created. To me chess is way more than memory. I personally think it is much more about improvising and planning ahead. In order to become really good you have to have a mind for the abstract and I think any decent chess player would agree. Don't get me wrong, i think that memory does play a valuable role in chess, I just disagree that it is the most important element.

Fischer was a most interesting mind, he would flip through chess books like nothing and visually play though an entire game in a matter of seconds. I don't think this is as much about memory recall as it is connecting the dots if you guys know where I am going with this. For this reason I am not disregarding INTP as a possibility. IDk, it's really tough to say though..

I

Infinite Bubble

I found two quotes that could shed a bit more light on him...

TL;DR quote:

But the thing that was great about Capablanca was that he really spoke his mind, he said what he believed was true, he said what he felt. He wanted to change the rules [of chess] already, back in the twenties, because he said chess was getting played out. He was right. Now chess is completely dead. It is all just memorisation and prearrangement. It’s a terrible game now. Very uncreative.

True, he said memorisation was a large part of it, but he certainly didn't think it was the be and end all of the game.

COLORATURA

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4

I wish I could remember the exact definition I read one time. It said that Ni used past, present, & future to correlate patterns. It can take a past piece of information along with the way something looks currently, and predict the future. I don't see why Si would be the only function good for memorizing for this matter. They are more into protecting their past experiences. I would even go as far as to say I would presume someone with Ni may come to remember something they didn't realize they previously did when a "aha!" moment happens.

I think Ni would be ideal for playing chess. Te would be great for strategizing.