• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Bobby Fischer an INTP or INTJ

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
A good INTP would have gotten bored and found a new interest much sooner.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh is that what "good" INTPs do?
Yep.

Heh, but yeah, I think beating people is rarely a good incentive, on the long term, for an INTP.

One of the reasons why Einstein managed to be a sucessful INTP was because he chose a very wide subject (physics).

He would study the concepts of light, mass, time, space, among many other things. It's hard to get bored when there are so many mysteries to be solved.

A

A_priori

Yep.

Heh, but yeah, I think beating people is rarely a good incentive, on the long term, for an INTP.

One of the reasons why Einstein managed to be a sucessful INTP was because he chose a very wide subject (physics).

He would study the concepts of light, mass, time, space, among many other things. It's hard to get bored when there are so many mysteries to be solved.

I don't get it.. I think what your saying is a bit over generalized. By the way it is reported that Einstein did in fact enjoy playing chess and found it to be quite interesting. The chess rating system was developed 5 years after Einstein died, so weather or not he was any good remains to be known..

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't get it.. I think what your saying is a bit over generalized.
Well, that's the way mbti usually works. Descriptions tend to be either generalizing or intangible.

By the way it is reported that Einstein did in fact enjoy playing chess and found it to be quite interesting. The chess rating system was developed 5 years after Einstein died, so weather or not he was any good remains to be known..
Interesting, albeit impertinent.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
The only things Bobby Fischer cared about was chess, and later when he lost his mind, various conspiracy theories. Sounds like INTP to me more than anything. The reason I say INTP instead of INTJ is because INTJs are more interested in application of information - INTPs are more interested in sheer mastery of it. As far as I know, he never displayed any applicational skills outside of the game, neither did he seem interested in it.

A

A_priori

The only things Bobby Fischer cared about was chess, and later when he lost his mind, various conspiracy theories. Sounds like INTP to me more than anything. The reason I say INTP instead of INTJ is because INTJs are more interested in application of information - INTPs are more interested in sheer mastery of it. As far as I know, he never displayed any applicational skills outside of the game, neither did he seem interested in it.

I would agree INTP, but I would have to say its been a really close toss up..

Here is a short biography of Ficsher I found on you tube. You'll have to excuse the comercials and fast forward through them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwLM9bgE3tY&sns=em

I can't help but find his story extremely infactuating. I find him so interesting!

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
He played chess and chess requires a HUGE amount of planning. Chess isn't much of a spontaneous game lol. I mean yes there are exceptions , I can't generalize on that but on a high level there is a ton of planning involved and a lot of structure and strategy in the game.

uumlau

Happy Dancer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Both ISTPs I have known (with a very strong likelihood of being ISTP) pay chess at an expert level. Being sensitive to conditions is more INTJ-ish (Se is inferior), but the ISTPs are very sensitive to environmental conditions as well.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Both ISTPs I have known (with a very strong likelihood of being ISTP) pay chess at an expert level. Being sensitive to conditions is more INTJ-ish (Se is inferior), but the ISTPs are very sensitive to environmental conditions as well.

I have a for-sure ESTP neighbor currently serving a 60-day jail sentence for an assault with a deadly weapon charge from 2006. He just couldn't stand the sound of the workers' generator outside his apartment any longer, and decided attacking it/them with a baseball bat was the only dignified response. In my time knowing him, he has repeatedly demonstrated an extreme sensitivity to the sounds, sights, and smells of the environment. Not that I deny the INTJ-sensitivity-to-environmental-factors-due-to-inferior-Se thesis -- just the other day I was having lunch with a friend and felt like murdering two idiots a table away for incessantly crinkling their bags like a couple of reet delinquents -- but observing my neighbor has definitely made me consider whether our sensitivity is greater or lesser than Se-doms'.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well I have played chess since i was a young kid and one thing I can tell you from experience is that even when I played at around 1700, it was difficult to remember anything past 10 moves from opening. With every move that is made in chess thousands upon thousands of differnt variables are created. To me chess is way more than memory. I personally think it is much more about improvising and planning ahead. In order to become really good you have to have a mind for the abstract and I think any decent chess player would agree. Don't get me wrong, i think that memory does play a valuable role in chess, I just disagree that it is the most important element.

I completely agree. Strategy and tactics are very important. Memory is important. I actually used to be good at this game when I was young. Won trophies and stuff. I hit a wall though because memorizing all those openings was just boring and girls were a lot more interesting anyway.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I thought INTJ too. Ni for envisioning many moves ahead, and walking away from games because the audience or lighting wasn't right for him, makes me think tert-Fi. INTJs can also be very paranoid as he was later in life, but that's most likely down to Schizophrenia. The only problem i have is that he did memorise a lot of reading material for moves when he was young, which seems more like Si. But I have no reason to believe why an INTJ couldn't do the same, especially if they enjoy the activity.

I find your explanation wholly unsatisfactory. Virtually all chess masters, let alone grandmasters see many moves ahead, yet they are not all Ni dominant. For example, Kasparov's rating is 2800 and most prominent chess historians agree that his skill surpassed that of Fischer, yet it is apparent that he is not an INTJ. Similarly, all grandmasters devoted over 10,000 hours to chess study and when they were starting out, they had to memorize a lot of moves and variations. You can't be a good chess strategist without memorizing a lot of theory, there is just way too much in that game for you to try to figure out on your own. It is a well documented fact that even in grandmaster tournaments, those who know the most about chess and spend the most time studying win. Memorization of variations and various possible moves is an essential element of preparation for tournaments, surely you need a wealth of other skills to be a top-notch player, but you just can't do without memorization.

R

Riva

I find your explanation wholly unsatisfactory.

Swear to God I had a feeling you were an 6w5 by this.

[Virtually all chess masters, let alone grandmasters see many moves ahead, yet they are not all Ni dominant. For example, Kasparov's rating is 2800 and most prominent chess historians agree that his skill surpassed that of Fischer, yet it is apparent that he is not an INTJ. Similarly, all grandmasters devoted over 10,000 hours to chess study and when they were starting out, they had to memorize a lot of moves and variations. You can't be a good chess strategist without memorizing a lot of theory, there is just way too much in that game for you to try to figure out on your own. It is a well documented fact that even in grandmaster tournaments, those who know the most about chess and spend the most time studying win. Memorization of variations and various possible moves is an essential element of preparation for tournaments, surely you need a wealth of other skills to be a top-notch player, but you just can't do without memorization.

What do you believe his type is?
How did you arrive at that conclusion?
Are you implying .............. what exactly are you implying by the memorizing point?

Is it that by memorizing alone they have become masters of seeing moves ahead - which I agree on / mental reflex one could say - which implies that you are not believing that one has to be an INTJ to see moves ahead - to which I agree.

Seems like you are also disagreeing with Infinite Bubble's doubts of him being an INTP by the memorizing point - which would imply that Infinite Bubble's assumption of him being an INTJ might be correct.

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Swear to God I had a feeling you were an 6w5 by this.

Not sure about that, I might be 5w6, the jury is out on that one. The theory of Enneagram rests on very shaky, quasi-mystical premises, so I am not sure what my Enneagram tells me about my personality, whatever my type is. There is just way too much confusion involved in that theory, even the most lucid expositions of Enneagram theory are rather ambiguous, vague and sometimes even inconsistent.

What do you believe his type is

That, I don't know. I'd need to study his biography in detail to be sure. What I do know, however, is we can't determine his type based on the way he has been described in this thread.

Are you implying .............. what exactly are you implying by the memorizing point? s

I am not implying anything. All I am saying is that every chess expert (rated 2000 or above), master (rated 2200 or above), grandmaster (rated 2500 or above) had to do a great deal of memorization to build a solid foundation of knowledge on which their chess skill can flourish. The fact that Bobby Fischer did a lot of memorization says absolutely nothing about his type, advanced chess players of all types have done that.

Is it that by memorizing alone they have become masters of seeing moves ahead - which I agree on / mental reflex one could say - which implies that you are not believing that one has to be an INTJ to see moves ahead - to which I agree.

You don't become a good chess player by memorization alone, but it's an important part of skill development. Furthermore, all grandmasters can see very far ahead, but not all are INTJs. So, the fact that Fischer saw far ahead does not show that he was an Ni dominant type.

Seems like you are also disagreeing with Infinite Bubble's doubts of him being an INTP by the memorizing point - which would imply that Infinite Bubble's assumption of him being an INTJ might be correct.

I disagree with Infinite Bubble's point because he hasn't given us enough information to determine his type. It could be INTP, could be INTJ, could be something else altogether.